Yeti Cycles Cycles Thermoplastic Handlebar

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Yeti Cycles Thermoplastic

Submitted by Heath a Weekend Warrior from Titusville FL

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    Wow its light. I just replaced this and my stem on my trek 4300 the two combine to shave a bit over a pound for under 60 bucks. My stock bars have taken a ton of abuse and it was time for a change. They are more stiff then I thought and I feel like I have a bit more control landing jumps.

Weaknesses:    I feel like they should be weak and flex because they are so light. But I have not noticed any of that since I bought them.

Bottom Line:
I see no reason not to upgrade. Plus you can pick them up for cheap on Ebay.

Favorite Trail:   Hammock trials

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Stock 4300 bar.

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    Strength, weight, stiffness, look, dimensions

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
These are the ARC R1 model.
I use this on epic XC rides with lots of hammering (but no huge jumps or dropoffs), and a few XC races.
I'm no longer as apprehensive about carbon fiber as I first was. I decided on this bar due to the reviews here, as it is one of few that no one seems to have broken yet--even though some folks are using bar ends on it. I still wouldn't use carbon components for harsh trailriding, or DH, though; but what do I know?
So for my next bar, I'll get this one again, or an LP Composites, or Profile Design--which seem to be some other fiber bars that hold up for everyone.

Similar Products Used:   Profile Design fiberbar,Various aluminum bars

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000 w/lefty

Submitted by josh a Cross Country Rider from oakland

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Strengths:    carbon fiber, light weight, vibration damping, good width & angles

Weaknesses:    small diameter ends, slick-smooth surface (see below)

Bottom Line:
These bars are light as all get out. When installed carefully, no crackie.

Heads Up ODI users:
The combination of the small diameter of the grip mounting area & the smooth surface make mounting ODI lock on grips (Yeti Hardcore, in this geek's case) more difficult than on alloy bars. If you're going to use the lockon grips, best to try out some other grips first so that you can get your lever reach, bar angle, shifter reach, etc. set up to your liking before using the ODI clamps. The small & rare 3.5mm screws round out easily because they need extra torque to hold onto these bars. I'd go so far as to suggest ordering an extra hex tool (save specifically for the clamps) and a pack of extra screws from your LBS before or after mounting -- unless you're certain you'll never take the bars off. Get your fit set, prep with surfaces with alcohol, & carefully snug the clamp screws until the grips don't roll under twisting force. With care, the ODIs will work fine.

Four fiery bananas all around because I had to order more screws to make this work.

Favorite Trail:   eldridge grade

Similar Products Used:   truvativ team, kona HD riser (no, not DH)

Bike Setup:   kokopelli

Submitted by Tchal Kurufai a Weekend Warrior from L.A.

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Strengths:    Vibration damping and relatively light weight.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
The Crowbars used to make my hands numb on long rides. Bought the R1's and the hands aren't numb anymore. Also noticed better control and shock absorbtion on jumps. Grrrrrreat bar for xc, trail, and according to Yeti, slalom and DH. Get it. You'll like it, you'll love it, you'll wanna marry it.

Favorite Trail:   The ones that scare me

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Swithched out Crowbars for R1 carbon.

Bike Setup:   Yeti Koko Disc, Chris King, Thompson, Intense system 2's, xtr, ODI Ruffian

Submitted by Brett johnson a Racer from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2003

Strengths:    Manuverable, light, strong, vibration dampening, and looks good.

Bottom Line:
My model is the Yeti ARC R1 carbon riser.

Having a bad experience with my $140 easton monkeylites, i was scepticle to buy another carbon bar. The yeti is a pleasent suprise. It is much stiffer than my easton and comes with the gurantee of yeti USA hand crafted quality. Web retailers sell this bar for nearly $120 but you can get it direct from Yeti for $90 with free shipping.

I reall enjoy the bar because it is manuverable on fun riding days but aggressive on race days. I appreciate that it dampens vibrations that my fork does not catch. It is reasonibly stiff however compared to my noodle of an easton bar.

Final thought leave Easton to making Baseball bats and buy the Yeti ARC R1 bar

Favorite Trail:   Turkey

Purchased At:   Yeti Direct

Similar Products Used:   Easton monkelite carbon sl 90

Bike Setup:   Specialized A1: Manitou, XT, Ritchey, King, FSA

Submitted by Lody Archuleta a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight !!! Stiff - some flex though not an issue.

Weaknesses:    The bars diameter is really narrow. Making bar ends work without fracturing the bars or rotating is tricky.

Bottom Line:
Solid, light, good performer.
The problems setting up bar ends is the only knock.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Similar Products Used:   This is the OEM component.

Bike Setup:   97 Yeti A.R.C. XTR, RockShox Judy SL

Submitted by Justin a Cross-Country Rider from Kalama, WA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1999

Strengths:
Very light(mine=132g.) Durable, absorbs sharp
hits. Ridden it hard for almost 1 year, now.
Easy on the hands.

Weaknesses:
Slightly slow response,
due to flex. Extra care
for scarring worries. Some barends are hard to clamp tight enough.

Bottom Line:
Perfect for light to medium weight riders concerned about bike weight who also want a ittle conversation piece for the trails. Depending on use, don't keep ANY bar longer than a year or two. Very Cheap Insurance Policy.

Souisan

1 Year

RaceFace air-alloy
Titec 118
TranzX(?)Zanzabar

Ventana Marble Peak, Halson PDS before, now a SID, which flexes enough I barely notice the bar.

Submitted by Austin MTB king a Cross-Country Rider from Minne-hopeless

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1999

Strengths:
VERY VERY light! 125 grams! WOW Yeah a little flex but it serves as more of a shock absorbtion that anything (like anything gona get through my Z.1 BAM) Very cool looking weave pattern.

Weaknesses:
The bar scrashes fairly easy. Also I had some problems with getting the right torque on the bar ends and stem. It keept rotating on me! BUTT>>> I brought it to the Ultimate Kings at PS bike and they tightened it, havent had any prolems since!
Bar flex a little when hammering on bar ends, over rough terrian.

Bottom Line:
This is the lightest bar I have ever owned. Its feather light like its not there, considering i droped a 1/2 lb + when I chucked my stock Anti Butted Coda Performace bars.
I have to addmite that I was affraid that they would break on me some time but they have been Awesome! Have had to many problems (listed above)

6 months