Truvativ Noir Team Riser Handlebar

Truvativ Noir Team Carbon Riser Bar 31.8x680mm. Will also fit a 660mm, contains a textured surface for a sleek look.

Submitted by billysan a Weekend Warrior from Bath, UK

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, strength, feel, shape, finish, packaging, weight.

Weaknesses:    Honestly cant think of any, bar maybe being a little cheaper? Price paid is GBP

Bottom Line:
I bought these and the matching Noir Team seatpost to go with my newly aquired (at the time) limited edition gold anodized chameleon.

Initial impressions were that they were really well packaged to protect the finish. The bars were bang on the quoted weight (well 1g over). The filament wound carbon looks gorgeous in the sunlight, Ive not seen a photo to date that does this justice. The laquer used is quite thick. Having seen how easily this scratches on the seatpost I was very careful with the instalation of these, proper torque settings and carbon compound on the stem and brake lever clamps etc. I dont use lock on grips, instead old Onza Ules rubber ones. I thought I may have problems getting these to stay put on the very gloss bar surface, but this was not the case. I have also fitted some Hope grip doctors to protect the bars if and when the bike goes over. Lastly I put a bit of copter tape each side of the stem clamp for where my lights fit.

As for the ride, Im not the biggest build ever, so can get away with quite narrow bars for hard use. My mates wouldnt look at anything less than an RF atlas bar and constantly take the piss out of these, but I find them great. 5 degree up sweep and 9 degree back sweep is very comfortable. They are very stiff in use, no noticable flex at all. Combined with an 80mm thomson X4 and 20mm bolt through Magura Thors the steering respionse is incredibly direct. I push the bike as hard as it will go when ever I ride, it may just be a hard tail but I dont give any ground to the FS boys unless there are hits that the Thor starts to have trouble with. And then I only slow down for having forearm pump. The bars have in turn done a full year with no fuss or drama. Not a mark on them. I have dropped the bike a number of times, and the hope bits have certainly done their job. both are scratched to the point that all the anodizing and logos have gone. Taking them out to check the bars on each occasion has shown the bars to be fine. No signs of cracking anywhere.

My Bottom line is that these are a good, quality light weight bar. If 680mm is wide enough for you then well worth a look.

Favorite Trail:   Whites Level