Titus Titanium Ti Handle Bar Handlebar

Titus Titanium Ti Handle Bar

Submitted by mja a Cross Country Rider from erie county, pa

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Strengths:    It's titanium!

Bottom Line:
It's a 610mm (24 in.) flat handlebar with a 4° bend, and it's titanium. Is this a good thing? Not exactly! Because what I ordered was a 600mm, 6° bar. Calling Titus to correct the apparent mix up, I was informed that custom lengths were available in 1-inch increments only. And I learned that bending beyond 4 degrees would produce unsightly bulging of bar. So I asked why hadn't I been provided with this info when placing my order? No response! My surmise is that this outfit bends titanium tubing by hand, and is limited in the specs they can satisfy. However, I am using the bar (with BERTs). If you order a bar from Titus, ask a lot of questions, to ensure getting what you want -- or get it elsewhere!

Bike Setup:   00 Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Roger a cross-country rider from Phoenix , AZ

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I suspect there are other riders out there like me, I wanted a wider bar with more bend than what is
commonly offered(5 degrees). I bought a Titec Hell Bent, and have ridden it for the last couple of
months. However , I missed the lighter weight ( 1/4 lb.) and cleaner looks of my straight bar . I took
Keith Bontragers advice ( his rant about riser bars), and had a custom bar made , in my case form
Titus Titanium . I ordered a 7 degree bend and 24 inches wide . They had it done the next day, and
since I live in Phoenix i picked it up that day.
I’m very pleased with the bar , to say the least . It’s light , somewhere in the neighborhood of 160
grams, looks trick and rides very well . It’s stiff and precise, a function of the straight guage Ti . The
added width of the bar increases leverage/control , and the additional 2 degrees of bend makes a
difference. All of this without the added weight of a riser bar . Wilderness Trail Bikes makes custom
Ti bars
as well . I strongly recommend getting a custom bar made for those who like the ride of the riser bar
, but don’t like the weight , climbing characteristics or looks . I just wish manufacturers would
produce their production flat bars wider , and with more bend .