Titec PG Ti Handlebar

4.2/5 (35 Reviews)

We took our traditional XC width and sweep that so many racers rely on, and mirrored the design in straight-gauge 3/2.5 titanium – with titanium’s improved strength and near infinite fatigue life, our PG Ti is a bar that’ll be around long enough to will to your kids.
  • Material: Aerospace Grade 3AL / 2.5V Titanium
  • Bend and Rise: 5º Back-Sweep
  • Width: 555mm (22 in.)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by fat albert a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Strengths:    light and absorbs chatter better than aluminum

Weaknesses:    Titec customer service was very unhelpful with replacing a misplaced shim. Gave me the run-around (we'll get back to you after checking with our warehouse-- yet didn't get back to me at all). When I finally was able get another response, the guy basically said 'buy another bar'. Also, did not provide suggestions where to get another one (the guy clearly avoided responding to this question).

Bottom Line:
    Flat bars are great for control, and this one is especially good for those who ride a rigid fork because of its shock-absorbing material! Given the poor customer service on top of the high initial cost, I feel bad that I own two of their bars (this PG Ti and the Flat-Tracker). I'll give them a 1 for value, which paired with a 5 for performance, equals a 3 for overall.

Favorite Trail:   Tilden

Similar Products Used:   Flat-Tracker, Syncros Riser, Easton EA-50

Bike Setup:   True-Temper rigid set-up

Submitted by Brian a Racer from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2003

Strengths:    Vibration Dampening. Strength. Weight. Durability. Narrow.

Weaknesses:    Narrow.

Bottom Line:
    These bars took a couple rides to get used too. After that they have been great. The width of the bars has prevented me from putting on bar ends but the width has also been great for those narrow spots you sometimes find yourself in. I also liked the quicker response in steering I got with these bars. I have had a few hard crashes while riding with these bars and they are still in great condition, not a scratch or dent on them. I would definitely buy these bars again, if I was putting them on a second bike, cuz they're gonna be on this bike for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   anything tight, twisty, and scary

Submitted by ed ballow a Cross Country Rider from pensacola,fl

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Strengths:    fits me used for eight years

Bottom Line:
    eight years!!! when I broke my race face crank I thought well it is about as old as it gets but the only thing older is my pg bar.. 50 or more miles a week for 8 years 5 frames and every other thing has broken. the pg bar is still here

Favorite Trail:   porcipine rim

Similar Products Used:   aluminum bars

Bike Setup:   4 hardtail frames now giant nrs 1

Submitted by Lennart soegaard a Cross Country Rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Strengths:    light,comfortable,strong.perfect dimensions for me.

Bottom Line:
    Great handlebar.It has taken some serious punishment over the last couple of years.No problems at all.I will never go back to aluminium.

Favorite Trail:   Furesoe

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   heavy duty alum.Zoom 170.GT steel(in the time before internet and mobile phones)

Bike Setup:   `99 RM Blizzard,XT/LX Bomber z5,bla bla.handlebar mounted on Roox stem.CT barends.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2000

Strengths:    strenght, titanium's vibration damping, doesn't crinkle when you crank down the bar ends, inexpensive ($45), good bend (3-degree) and perfect length for me and my stem (135mm)

Weaknesses:    I'm sorry? Did you say something?

Bottom Line:
    This is a review of the '99 Titec PG bar, which appears to have previously been known as the 150 bar.
    Unlike other people, I've never had to do anything to the shim, except make sure it was centered. Sure, I never used this with my Icon Durante piece of junk (almost an exact copy of the Kore Elite stem with a single bolt clamp), which I'm almost sure would have resulted in the bar turning at an inopportune time, but I've honestly never had any problems with this bar. Light, lasts forever, perfect width. With this bar, my steering is 100% intuitive. I never feel like I'm trying to goad my bike into turning, like I did with my wider Icon Ernie bar (580mm). Plus, with ti, you don't have that metal fatigue problem, so even after it bends it is still ridable. And maybe even can be bent back, without having to replace it. Never had that problem: don't expect to. Aluminum just feels harsh after using this bar.

Similar Products Used:   Icon Ernie, Zoom 170, some '88 chromo riser thing on my Diamondback Topanga

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike, Bontrager 135mm AHS stem (7-degree rise), Profile Boxer bar ends (narrow bar clamp), Yeti grips

Submitted by Drew a Racer from N. Ogden Utah

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Strengths:    NONE!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    It broke!!! How in the.... The shop can't explain why. I would never buy this bar!

Bottom Line:
    If you want to save your face from face planting into your stem then don't buy this. It sux and will break!

Favorite Trail:   Trail #17 and #6 at Deer Valley

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Riser now.

Submitted by Matt Hayes a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon Falls, Me

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap (I only paid $15 in Cambria!!!) Light

Bottom Line:
    Great for the money, is cheap, light, and good for every rider!

Similar Products Used:   OEM stuff

Bike Setup:   Mavic, LX, XT, Answer

Submitted by Uncle Fats a Weekend Warrior from Wall NJ

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1999

Strengths:
    Strong and light

Weaknesses:
    Let me think.....still thinking.....oh yeah it's a flat bar and I love riser's but other than that....NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
    This is the best flat bar money can buy. Titec makes the best stuff, I love it. It is light, but shows no hint of extreme flex, or noticable flex. this is worth the cash and is an extremely nice bar. THIS THING IS BOMBPROOF!!! BUY ONE!!!

Ringwood

Control Tech Syncros

It was on my old Trek 8900

Submitted by Ilan a Cross-Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1999

Strengths:
    light, kinda flexy

Weaknesses:
    shim

Bottom Line:
    Bought used at the marketplace for $30, so they were quite cheap. My old CT bar broke where the bar-end clamps on to it, so that kinda pissed me off. Hopefully these Ti bars wont ever break. As far as flex and/or damping, its not very noticable especialy if have a susp fork, but these are definitely easier on the wrists than my CT ones. Its really rocky here in Austin and after a long ride my wrists and hands would be really sore, but they arent nearly as sore with these new Ti bars.
    And im using the same bar-ends with the same bar-end plugs, and i made sure to not over tighten them.
    My only complaint about this bar is with the shim. It slid around in my stem so i put some duct tape around the middle of the bar, slid the shim back over it, tightened the stem down hard, and now its nice and snug and you can hardly see the duct tape. As a bonus, it doesnt creak at all like my CT bar. Oh yeah, and its not as wide as some other bars, like my CT bar, so it will seem wierd at first, but it's useful in tight squeezes when you have trees and shrubs closing in on you. 4 chilis due to the bad shim, they need to make it a little fatter.

3 months

Control Tech Al bar

CAAD3 with crappy stock Headshok stem, using bar ends too

Submitted by Uncle Fats a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Strengths:
    Light, Strong, Cheap for a good bar

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
    Bar has no problems-I used this for light trials for a while-It's strong but light-can't go wrong for the money!!

Ringwood NJ

1 Year

Titec 118, Ibis Ti

Trek 8900 XTR, Judy SL

Submitted by Mark Stewart a cross-country rider from Edmonton, AB Canada

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

Good bars! Mine are three or so years old and still going strong. The shim has a tendency to let the bars slip on some stems, especially minimalist one bolt clampy jobs, but once cinched up snug is fine. I managed to dimple one end of mine due to a barend impacting the pavement. Compared to my face, pants and helmet it did just fine under the circumstances. I have seen a set of these bend, but the guy who bent 'em was the exact opposite of a finesse rider(and they were replaced under warranty). Get 'em! Take it from me, even if you bend em, it'll be preferable to breaking a light alloy bar.

Submitted by John a cross-country rider from Western Kentucky

Date Reviewed: February 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have used these bars on my Litespeed Obed for over a year. I am a Clydesdale rider who raced and trained all last season on them. I did not bend, break, or destroy the bars nor do they look any worst for wear. There are a lot of good bars out there but for $40 I don't think I could have gotten a Ti bar. I don't like aluminum do to the instant fatigue syndrome (you know....crash once and walk home due to not having a bar!) I would recommend them to anyone.

Submitted by Dale a cross-country rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had this same bar on three different frames over four years now. It has been raced cross country many times and been crashed many more times with absolutely no adverse affects. I use bar ends - no crimping to report. As for the length, I cannot imagine using a wider bar in the technical single track of east Tennessee and western North Carolina. I am 180 pounds of vet racer and I haven't been able to bend it. I would definitely buy another one.

Submitted by cush a cross-country rider from albany, ny

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have been racing and riding this bar all season and love it. It was a major weight over the 100% solid steel bar that came with my c-dale F500. It does not require the BARTS (Bar end reinforcement things) that you need with the 118. I did not use lock tite on the center of the bar to eliminate twisting and have not had a problem. A quality product.

Submitted by Rollingbones a weekend warrior from Fair Oaks CA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

Over a 1 1/2 yr. period I bent three alum. bars crashing. I purchased one of these BMF Bars almost two years ago. Still crashing, no bent bar, not even with barends (I have the wide base OnZa Raw's, short). Not much else can be said. I've replaced just about everything on the bar, but the bar. It takes takes a crash'n and keeps on mash'n. Five Hot Tamales!!