Syncros Handlebar Handlebar

4.34/5 (38 Reviews)

Steel - Absorb this. Our state-of-art custom hard-drawn 7075T78 aerospace aluminum is heat-treated and stress-relieved to damp vibrations and absorb shocks on the bumpiest of grinds.

Titanium - The state of the art. Aircraft-certified T3Al2.5V titanium, hard-drawn and heat-treated to deliver optimal strength, fatigue resistance and shock absorpion. Goes down smoother than your tenth tequilla. 155g

Submitted by Mikey Likes It a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Very Strong. Very light (read below). Titanium model, are people below talking about the aluminum or titanium?

Weaknesses:    Dunno. It would appear from reading below that they can bend or break when leaping over school busses or doing drop offs from 30 foot cliffs, or houses, etc. Wish they would have said if it was the Ti or the Alum model - case I want to do a drop-off from my office window...

Bottom Line:
>>>>>

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEY YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please specify which bar you are using when you say it broke.

1. Titanium flat bar
2. Aluminum flat bar
3. Aluminum riser bar

They will all act completely different, and we need to know.

>>>>>

I have number 1., the Titanium Flat Bar. It came on my Rocky Mountain 2000 Element TO Scandium, bought used. The setup was a little off for me, and my LBS recommended replacing this with a riser. I put on the Answer Pro Taper.

I had already ridden it with the Syncros Ti Flat bar at several rock gardens. At first I hated the narrow width, it took a bit getting used to, especially after a 26" Easton Carbon Riser (monkey lite). Also I looked at it and thought "that thing must be pretty damn heavy".

When I pulled this bar off the bike, I was astounded at how much it weighed, or didn't weigh, if you follow. Lighter than a carbon straight bar I had sitting in my garage. Very nice, with aluminum plugs in the ends. Marked "Heat Tempered Titanium". Light as a feather. Stronger as steel.

The Answer Pro Taper weighed twice as much. It makes my hands numb. It looks great, much nicer than than the Synrcos.

The Syncros will be reinstalled. I will swap the headset spacers (luckily there are ones top and bottom of my stem), to adjust the syncros bar. I will be keeping it.

BOTTOM LINE - I think it is an incredible handlebar. Light. Strong. Vibration dampening. Ugly silver, but who gives a f---. I'm keeping it.

Email me for a deal on the Answer Pro Taper 1" Riser bar, used 3 days.

Favorite Trail:   Hall, Walker, Dino, etc.

Purchased At:   Was on the bike, bought used

Similar Products Used:   Easton Carbon, Answer Pro-Taper, Profile Designs, Specialized Alloy.

Bike Setup:   RM TO Scandium.

Submitted by ace a Cross Country Rider from canada/kroea

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    lite...

Weaknesses:    bends

Bottom Line:
well it maybe lite...but being a flat bar...vibration absorbing does not replace a riserbar..
but that is my personal preferance so it should not affect my rating...

well it bends after a long time riding...but i can live with that...but just don't do any stupid jumps like some of those freaks below...

"my bar bent when i was jumping" of course it bent u idiot..

it's like "my Litespeed snapped after falling 30feet...it is waste of money so don't buy it"

don't be fooled by those and get this bar...because you are a cross country machine and so is your bike...

Bike Setup:   litespeed

Submitted by ANdy from alberta edmonton canada

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Strengths:    What strengths?

Weaknesses:    The bends, oh the bends

Bottom Line:
I would only recomend these to someone who is extremly lite weight or rich

Purchased At:   Over priced united cylce

Bike Setup:   a nice bike

Submitted by Mark Leblanc a Cross Country Rider from Moncton,N.B, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet looking,gives that custom look to your ride.Light enough for me at 155grams.Titanium bar should last a while.

Weaknesses:    Other than price none.But hey you have to pay for quality

Bottom Line:
Well....some people say they break them,but they all mentioned pretty serious crashes. All handle bars will break under enough pressure.I raced a few Cross Country events, and even done some hard drops with no problems.I'm still looking to buy a Syncros seat post in the future.Stem and handle bar are great!

Favorite Trail:   fast single track

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Easton taper wall.

Bike Setup:   98' rocky mountain.Oxygen race.99 Z2 A bomb, Full XT/XTR And a xt/517 wheelset.Syncros stem and handle bar.

Submitted by Kelvin a Cross Country Rider from Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Strengths:    Wow, its really light and stiff! I was so shocked to find it that light. Makes the bike look trick.

Weaknesses:    The decals comes off and question durability after some years.

Bottom Line:
If your going to dirt jump or free ride with this, forget it - it'll break. Buy it for lightness and stiffness. I really question the durability factor, although the vender did tell me to replace it 3 years down the road for safty reasons. The Syncros bar is sold at good price ($53), try one out.

Purchased At:   Bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Air alloy (itsn't as light), Kore, and Zoom

Submitted by swamp a Cross Country Rider from w van

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Strengths:    i have both the hardcore series and the pro series.i have only tested the hardcore series (in shotgun form,which is the straight version)i also have the 5 degree bend version.i recomend the bent version for the natural bend of the wrist;but i prefer the straight version (from many years of use and adjustment to.)the bar is stiff.

Weaknesses:    the hardcore seems theoretically impervious to breakage,i have landed like a 200lb gorilla sometimes and the bar survived.but i have not tried the pro series yet,but will do so this race season.from first impressions it seems a little thin(like a beer can near the ends),but i think this is there to there designing to put more material where it is needed.anyway i'll talk about it probably in september.

Bottom Line:
mr.good bar

Favorite Trail:   hollyburn ridge

Similar Products Used:   titec ti bars

Bike Setup:   brodie sovereign,xtr,shimano,race face,rock shox,mavic,etc

Submitted by Rob Graef a Racer from Green Bay, WI, US

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Strengths:    light weight, strong, short, small

Weaknesses:    none found yet, still looking though

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any problems with the strait bars, they r light weight and very strong. They have wroked well in races(wors series). They haven't failed at Bairds Creek. i've only put about 200 miles on these bars. The handle bars are short so the don't get caught up on trees.

If you are looking for a nice handle bar try these sycros....

Favorite Trail:   Barrids Creek

Bike Setup:   GT, hardtail

Submitted by BigRing a Cross-Country Rider from Ga

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Strengths:
strong/light

Weaknesses:
duh....?

Bottom Line:
I put the straight bar and Syncros stem on my RIGID Yeti. Believe me, it, (and me) take a beating. It is very rigid and strong. Anyone that takes a hit big enough to bottom out the fork should be glad the only thing busted was the handlebar. Get real, it is only EA70. The weight to strenght ratio is outstanding. This is a great product at a fair price and is one of lightest bars out there. Their service may stink but the products are good.

3 months

old heavy stuff

YETI FRO

Submitted by Judson Merrell a Downhiller from Salisbury, NC

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1999

Strengths:
had a good feel

Weaknesses:
It bent while I was jumping. It cause me to wreck, ruining my Mavic rims and almost my disc brake. I sent Syncros a Reply, but havent heard from them yet. I will not get another one, I only weigh 150 lbs and this bar almost snapped in half.

Bottom Line:
It was a bad investment. I will not get another one made by Syncros.

UNCC Campus

less than 1 month

Answer Pro-Taper
Azonic Double Wall Riser

GT Avalanche, Judy 100, full hydraulic disc, Full XT

Submitted by derek a Cross-Country Rider from delaware

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
It works. My grips are always where I expect them to be. For three years! I've already bought a replacement. I'm just waiting for the old one to tell it's ready to retire, but it dosen't. It doesn't creak or moan, and there's no sign of corrosion. It's light too. What more do you want?

any singletrack

more than 3 years

Submitted by Freerider a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
Great bar. I'm using the riser bar. I've had no real problems with it. Not to stiff.

Weaknesses:
Cross-bar clamp threads strip easily. Creaking from the clamps.

Bottom Line:
Great product. Hasn't failed over the big wheelie drops yet. Knock on wood. Great BC product. Might get a new bar soon. Thinking of pro-taper,

Circus

1 Year

Norco TNT, Marzochhi bomber

Submitted by Braeden Flaherty a Racer from Boulder

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1999

Strengths:
Very Stiff
Great Looking
Good Weight

Weaknesses:
Weak
Product Support Blows

Bottom Line:
The bar performed very well for about 5 months. Then I did a steep shoot and hit a rrock that was pretty big. It bottomed my fork and the shock was transfered to the crossbrace on the bar, cracking the clmaps in to pieces. I rode home with the bar rattleing the whole way. I now ride without the crossbar. It is noticeably less stiff. I have contacted Syncros a number of times and they have yet to return my emails or phone calls. I believe I am going to buy another Easton.

Walker Ranch

XTR
RaeeFace,Syncros,Thomson

Submitted by Sore a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1999

Strengths:
It felt quite strong and light
Good comfortable shape (for me)

Weaknesses:
It broke after one reasonably rough landing

Bottom Line:
Did a silly jump, landed heavily on front end, rolled myself off the ground groaning and saw left side of bar, under the grip, was bent back 60 degrees. Crawled back onto the bike and it just broke off as soon as I touched it. Am getting a new one under warrantee, but will be interested to see how long it lasts.

rollercoaster, Wellington

less than 1 month

None, only on mates bikes and those bars have never worried me

Kona Ku Custom

Submitted by Braeden a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Strengths:
Not too much rise, fairly light, great looking.

Weaknesses:
Cross brace very weak, probably not necesary

Bottom Line:
Did wonders to improve my downhill handling, but one day doing light jumping I came down a little too heavy on my front end. I heard a crack but could not locate it. For about a week I notice a creaking coming from mystem/bars/headset. I narrows it down to the clamps holding the cross brace on. I tries to tighten the bolt and as soon as it was under tension a crack appeared and the bolt would not thread. Finaly the clamp just cracked into two pieces. I have emailed sysncros and have gotten a response yet.

Walker Ranch

6 months

Race Face Carbon, Titec Enduro, S-works.

98 Sworks with manitou sxti. Race Face System

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Sparks, MD

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1999

Strengths:
Very Strong
Light
Good width and rise for my taste

Weaknesses:
Logos (too many and in the wrong places)

Bottom Line:
I bought the riser version because I enjoy riding and my hands were getting numb. These bars are strong and do not need the support bar (leave it off & save weight). The Syncros are great risers because for my taste, they are narrow and have less rise (angle) than other bars I have tried. They have improved my bikes downhill handling and don't hurt on climbs. I would recommend these to anyone moving from flat bars not wanting a huge difference in handling. Bars are a very personal decision - you should feel them before buying. The Syncros are a 5 star for me - I'll buy them again for my next bike.

Bunker Hill

1 Year

Race Face Riser, Titec Enduro, Bontrager Crow Riser

1997 Jamis Dakar

Any handlebar, stem, seat post deals?

I'm thinking about upgrading my handlebars, stem and seat post to carbon. Are there any deals worth jumping on?Read More »

Ordered a bike and it came with Al handlebar spec say carbon

Should I contact them about it or this is common among manufacturer. Would they be obligated to send me one? Thanks.Read More »

Handlebar / Stem setup?

Just wondering what everyone is running... Flat bar or Riser? Negative degree stem? A buddy said I would be more comfortable with a negative rise stem and a Falt bar. I thought this was all personal preference. This is my first 29er, on my 26", I ran 90mm stem with a riser bar.Read More »

Handlebar height change with new fork help.

I am getting my new fork on today. I am a noob but I saw a good deal on the fork and the stock Suntour coil fork was just ok. The local bike shop asked me about handlebar height so he knows where to cut. I said I don't know so just leave same height. Right now the are about saddle height. I ... Read More »

Handlebar Height?

Hi All, New to the forum, and new to mountain biking. I bought a 2014 Hardrock 26 disc a couple of weeks ago, and already put about 30 miles of trails on it. I love everything about the bike, but I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction. I'd like the handlebars to be a little ... Read More »