Sun Ringle Uncle Jesse Handlebar

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Sun Ringle Uncle Jesse

Submitted by Christian Catinis a Weekend Warrior from Herndon VA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2005

Strengths:    27" width, strong, looks awesome, feels awesome

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find one.

Bottom Line:
This is a 5 year follow up on these handlebars. What can say, these have got to be my favorite mountain biking part over just about everything I have used in the past 5 years. For their weight, these bars are unbelievable. I can not believe they don't make them anymore. They are great bars, awesome angles and sweep, great stiffness, durability (obvisously) and still awesome looks.

Purchased At:   Ringle Factory Outlet 5 years ago

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   These bars have been on about 9 bikes so far, currently on a Bullit

Submitted by Russ Clartt a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2005

Strengths:    strong, adjustable & yellow

Weaknesses:    As below, getting stuff on is hard because of the paint thickness, getting bar ends on was impossible but I can live without them.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a stopgap while I was looking for some carbon riser bars, mainly because it was cheap. Now I'm keeping it.

Main things I like are the absolute solidity of the thing, and the clear sweep for lights, speedos etc.

because of the 'D' shape of this bar it also lets you run two setups with a couple of minor adjutments. With knobblies I have it sat up like a riser bar for more height / shorter stem length. With slicks I set it down & forward to get an extra 2" extension and a lower riding position.

It might be a touch heavier than the alternatives, but when I'm putting a lot of bodyweight on the bars with no worries thats a price I'm happy to pay

Favorite Trail:   The pie shop & back

Similar Products Used:   Control tech flattie

Bike Setup:   The relevent bits are: Raceface system stem, WTB headset, and Duke Race forks

Submitted by Vlad a Cross Country Rider from Kiev Ukraine

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Feel, width, looks, every single inch of it...

Weaknesses:    Are you kidding? NONE, this bar doesn't have a weakness

Bottom Line:
This bar is super strong. If i wanted to i could take it off my bike, use it as a crow bar, beat a rhino to death, put it back on my bike and it would still be the best out there.

Purchased At:   internet store

Similar Products Used:   Kore Elite Bar, amoeba, some noname

Bike Setup:   Hawk Fat Bone
Sun Ringle Uncle Jesse
Titec Hellbent seatpost
xt/xtr

Submitted by ClydesdaleMTB a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    You could use this bar to jack up a truck! the perfect rise and sweep for me to get ballanced just right on my bike.

Super thick YELLOW paint

Weaknesses:    Super thick paint. BFD
My CatEye computers' cable is too short to reach the bars, now. BFD
Took almost a month to get direct from Sun-Ringle!

Bottom Line:
I'm a big rider (see picture above) and stuff breaks under me it it's not of the highest quality (see bike specs ;-)

My bike was built for one goal: "not to break"

I've bent/broken 4 bars in the past year untill I found the Uncel Jesse. No more bent or broken bars!

If you need to rise a few inches and are a larger rider, tired of bending bars, this is the bar for you.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Brook State park

Hope Endoro4disc brakes
Thomson Elite seatpost, etc etc

Submitted by Steven Alexander a Racer from Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2000

Strengths:    stiff, I have used a different riser bar for the past two years, and just figured out where the flex in my front end came from

Weaknesses:    heavy, if that is a problem, drink one less beer friday night.

Bottom Line:
This thing rocks. You can actually centre your lights on your handle bar. It also has enough room in the centre for your computer and heart rate monitor. So, no looking from side to side for data. This bar is stiffer than any straight bar that I have tried, and at 19.00 at their website, what more can you say? I am still getting used to the bend, but on my second lap out on them, I found I was starting to get comfortable with them. Could be a little lighter, but, I think there are better places to lose weight then on a handlebar...

Favorite Trail:   Lawerence Park

Purchased At:   www.sunrims.com

Similar Products Used:   Titec HellBent

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 890, Race Face seatpost, crank. XT groupo, Rockshox Sid XC, Hayes disks, Chris King hubs, Mavic Rims

Submitted by Christian Catinis a Weekend Warrior from Warrenton VA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    EVERYTHING. No other handlebar on earth should ever be made again. STIFF, STIFF, STIFF, oh and STIFF. wide, nice color (YELLOW) GOOD welds (yeah it has welds), not as heavy as I expected, nice bend, awesome looks

Weaknesses:    heavy for people who wish they could climb without gravity. ->Go ride on the moon. Heard it would work better.

Hard to get stuff on it (brakes, shifters) cause of paint (thick layer of it). Ringle should make this thing anodized!

Bottom Line:
This product RULES. I am still trying to find something bad about but I can't even IMAGINE any default this product has.

It's the stiffest thing I have ever seen, You could stand a 250lb guy on the ends of this handlebar and it still wouldn't bend. It also makes a lot of people frown when you tell em it's 480gs, heh, that's heavier than 2 flexy handlebars, but it works better than 5 of em welded together. Put little stumpies on the end and it's awesome to climb on. The bend on this thing is EXCELLENT for climbing if you decide to put stumpies on it.
Also, get it yellow, it'll get everyone's attention, even when you walk in to those fancy bike stores that have seen it all. This product has gone long time unnoticed, it's a dam shame. Go get it for 19 dols at their web site. I hate promoting but it's just a deal of a lifetime....

I would give it 6 chillies but MTBR won't let me :)

Christian =)