Scott Vertigo DH Flex bar Handlebar

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Scott Vertigo DH Flex bar

Submitted by taletotell a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Fairly light. Good rise and geometry.

Weaknesses:    Mine are pink and I hate it.

Bottom Line:
This bar is great for all mountain. It holds up well on 3 ft drops and has great geometry. It could stand to be stiffer for DH but I think ii might flex instead of break when it comes down to it.
Even easton monkeylites flex so for a bar that costs way less you can't complain over much.

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin, Shortbus

Purchased At:   Craig's List

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse dh

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300, Fox vanilla RLC, XTR derailers, Rhynolite rims, 2.4 tires, Avid BB7 brakes, Sram x7 shifters.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from san clemente, ca

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    Great balance of xc positioning and leverage control. Opens up chest for the fireroad climbs. I've ridden these bars for two years (however 1/2 time as I switch between two bikes) and been very happy with them. I weigh 195 and there hasn't been a problem besides the flex.

Weaknesses:    Not the stiffest. I just changed to a Kore stem (lite 3) and the flexibility of the bar is more noticable now.

Bottom Line:
Good for the xc crew that must come down whatever they climb. Not recommended as DH bar (I was surprised to read that it was a DH bar!) I tend to try for the smoothest lines through any section WITHOUT rear wheel lockup. If you plan to bash the baby skulls/brake bumps get the true DH bar like the doublewalls , etc.
Please ride responsibly in Socal or we'll soon be banned from singletrack and/or limited by radar guns such as in Marin. "Hello" to hikers helps and slowing down near them helps!!

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Race face riser 1 1/2"

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Tomac hardtail Ti; not the stiffest ride when compared to aluminum HT's

Submitted by Uncle Fats a Weekend Warrior from Wall NJ

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1999

Strengths:
it holds things on your bike if that counts

Weaknesses:
flexy piece of garbage, even with a brace on it

Bottom Line:
I had a brace on the bare, with take under the contact points of the brace, and all I ever heard was the creak of the bar. I could flexy it on a bunny hop. It flexed all the time. If I took this bar where I go downhilling I would have snaped it into two pieces that would have only been good to stir paint with.

Ringwood

less than 1 month

Titec Hellbent******
Azonic Double Wall

Cannondale Super V, Full XT, Spinergy's Judy XLC

Submitted by Todd a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Vertigo Team Edition was hard to get used to but after 3 or 4 rides I'm glad I swtched to a riser bar. My Klein Mantra was twitchy before now. The width slows the handling and makes it more comfortable at speed. The rise is a slight increase from flats - not too drastic to impede climbing prowess. The weight is reasonable as is the price.

Submitted by James a cross-country rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bar is the best downhill style bar for cross country riding. Probably not stiff enough for true downhill riding, though. Leverage and feel are excellent with this bar and is fairly lite considering the weight of other downhill style bars. Paint is very fragile, though. You will scratch some off just installing your shifters and brake levers. Overall, though an excellent choice for cross country use.

Submitted by Lloyd Ranola a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Yes, I ride cross country, and after I broke my AT2 LF bars, I decided to try downhill bars after trying them
on my friend's bike.
First of all, at 220 grams, these bars are still lighter than most Bar-Bar-end combinations. They are 25 wide,
with about an inch and a half rise. They also have a 10 or so degree bend.
This shape alone increases the control of your bike by a great amount. Bunny hopping and jumping is made
twice as easy, and the control you gain on single track is unmatched. For climbing, I now use the leverage
from the width of hte bar. Only the rise makes it a bit harder for climbing.
The blue sandblasted color, is a bit fragile. Small scratches are easy to produce during installations, so be
carfull (minus 1 star). Otherwise, the bars are strong, light and inexpensive ($50). If anything, these bars would make excellent dual slalom bars. I would opt for a heavier, more durable bar for
real downhill racing. As for cross country, it makes a great bar. The feel is worth getting used to. But of
course you no longer look like the traditional MTB'er. Peace!!