Scott LFX Bar Handlebar

4.18/5 (38 Reviews)

Scott LFX Bar

Submitted by Burt a Cross Country Rider from Brantford, ON

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Light Weight 125gms
Looks like Carbon fibre
Nice flex to absorb vibration

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Actually only paid 10.00 CDN. I thought that these would either snap like a twig or be a hell of a deal. I didn't put barends on them to keep the weight down. Good flex to absorb the bumps. I would highly recommend them. I'm pissed that I didn't buy 2 for that price.

Save yourself the Easton headaches and look for a pair!

Purchased At:   McBride Cycle @Toronto Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   Titec Hellbent XC

Bike Setup:   2002 NRS 2 too many changes to list

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, lightweight, durable

Bottom Line:
A great handlebar, I put this on my my bike in 1996. A perfect xc component; strong, light and durable. This is one of the few products that I would definitely buy again with no qualms. Still shows no sign of cracks. Highly recommend.

Similar Products Used:   nothing new for 6 years.

Bike Setup:   1996 Steelman Single Track, Marzocchi, XT/XTR

Submitted by Joe a Racer from Atlanta, Ga.

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Light, durable

Weaknesses:    None. Cost isn't a weakness, as I'd have worn out 3 aluminum bars by now.

Bottom Line:
Wildly expensive, but worth it. I bought this bar in 1995, the same year I started doing about 15 XC races/year. The last four years have been in Expert class, and I've never given the bar a second thought. I've used them on three different frames, four different stems, with bar ends and without. I periodically inspect them for cracks, crunches, etc.; nothing. I clipped a tree hard enough to tear off a Control Tech stubby bar end; no damage to the bar. I'm not real hard on equipment (150lbs) but for a bar to have seven full racing seasons on it is remarkable. If it shatters tomorrow, I can't complain.

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   It's been too long to remember

Bike Setup:   96 Trek OCLV, Manitou SX Carbon; Shimano, Thomson; Mavic/XTR wheels

Submitted by Gio from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    Very light,some shock absorbtion.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden on these bars for 5 years and have no complaints at all. I did use some 1 1/2" pieces of conduit in the bars to stiffen them when installing bar ends.(Scott 120gm.) The bar ends will slip when you crash, just loosen em up and adjust, and go.

Favorite Trail:   DP River Trails

Purchased At:   Took off a used bike.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   199? Trek Aluminum,LX/Grip-Shift,96' Judy w/Englund air cartridges.

Submitted by biknben a Racer from Robbinsville, NJ

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, shock absorbtion

Weaknesses:    Finally broke them...but I'm not complaining

Bottom Line:
I used the LFX-2 (bar/barend combo) for nearly 3 years. Raced with it this past season. Deffinately the lightest setup you can find. Too bad Scott pulled out of the US.

Today I endoed and the bars broke at the bend. Finally, I'd been waiting for it to happen. Thankfully it wasn't catastophic. I got too far forward going over a big log and got dumped on my head. Wasn't expecting it and never let go of the bars. The extra force of my weight when the bar end dug into the ground was just enough to break the fiber just outside of where my hand goes. I was able to finish the ride. Just couldn't use the bar end. Am still really happy with the product. Lasted longer than any of my previous bar choices. Oh well!!!

I see an Easton CT2 bar in my future.

Favorite Trail:   porquipine rim

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive, Full XTR, etc.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Westchester, NY

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong, shock absorbing

Bottom Line:
I have had an LFX-2 (one piece bar/barend)for about four years and have never had a problem. I weigh about 180 lbs and ride pretty hard, and have taken my share of spills, and the bar is still going strong. There is some flex when riding on the ends of the barends, but does not cause a problem. Great setup, looks cool, and is the lightest setup around. Cost me about $75.00 mail order, which is way cheaper that a good bar/barend combo.

Similar Products Used:   Regular bar/barend combo

Submitted by craig bigelow a Cross-Country Rider from midland tx

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
had lfx-2 for around 6 yrs never let me down . crashed on it and bent the corners and it never did fail .was kinda worried about getting brake levers & shifters off when deciding to go to a riser but dident have to get out the hack saw.

caprock notrees

more than 3 years

Submitted by Knute Aberhanson a Racer from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1999

Strengths:
The LIGHTEST bar/bar end combo you can get!

Weaknesses:
None for me so far.

Bottom Line:
These are a GREAT one piece bar/barend combo! (SCOTT LFX-2) I'm sad to hear about some of the other reviews on these that have had breakages, I have had no problems what so ever... that means after lots of CRASHES, BANGS and BUMPS. I raced X-C for 2 seasons on these and LOVE them. They are light weight (165 grams... remember, that includes the bar ends!) and I find the outside curve comfy. I am sorry to hear that others have had breakage problems, I don't have an explanation (ask SCOTT?) I weight only 150 lbs, but I do WAIL down the nasty stuff.

Why give it away??!!!

2 Years

Misc Aluminum bars w/ ends

Ventana Marble Peak FS w/ long travel Judy - full XTR

Submitted by Marky a racer from W-S, North Carolina

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just an update on my LFX-2 bars after my original review in September of 1997. These bars are still going strong!! Survived a few minor crashes, enough to scuff them up at least.

Submitted by Matt Bingaham a weekend warrior from London, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got this here bar as a replacement for an LF about 2 and half years ago and no problems. Until I went into a downhill race a couple of weeks ago and crashed hard and I managed to break it (under my gripshift). I ride pretty hard and aggresive and tend to bail quite a bit. Other bars have bent or broke sooner so I guess its pretty good. But at the same time when your spending 100 bucks (in canada probably 250) it should be bombproof!

Submitted by Oregon C.O.K.T. member a cross-country rider from Corvallis

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

4 stars because they aren't the LXF-2s::They are almost as comfortable except for the barend edges under my palms. About as comforting with regard to possibly breaking at the wrong time, as the LXF-2s. My bud Koby-san has ridden with me less now that I have the LXFs, than with the LXF-2s. My handlebar recommendation to him was: the LXF-2s...My LXF-2s? Well, they snapped like a twig. JRA. Clean, flat trail, stretching in the big ring, loosening my back and
S P L A T! Right on my face, one shoe on, one shoe off and still in the clip, right barend still in my hand. After removing bar from bike and examining it, I found no scratches or nicks on the right side. I always had cork tape from the grip on out to the end. Once I asked, Scott gladly and quickly replaced the LXF-2 with the LXF and a pair of barends. I would still buy the LXF-2 if it weighed 250 grams but lived up to the promise of thermoplastic durability.

Submitted by Fast Freddy a cross-country rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have a set of these on my Super V and I have gone over these things atleast 5 times now and even bent a stock Coda Bar End on them. They still have not shown any signs of weakness. These are pretty tough. I weigh 210 lbs and ride pretty hard - even race now and then. I feared they'd break off and kill me but it hasn't happened yet. 500 off road miles so far... and they haven't been easy.

Submitted by Koby-san a weekend warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I actually write this with great regret. First I would like to sat that I have gotten absolutely first rate warrentee service from the Scott guys. I hunted all over to find the LFX2 after Scott left the US. After finding a pair (with the help of Scott US) I rode them for about 2 months pretty hard and was very happy with the bar. My first set died on a normal climbing endo. They were promptly and cheerfully replaced. About 3 hours on the trail and my second set broke the same way. Both times I snapped the bar end off the handle bar and could ride out. Both time, snapped like a twig would be a fitting description. I think that I will be riding 3 piece bars from now on (separate bar ends) for stress relief at that joint. I will miss the vibration damping and lightness of the bar. I have riding buddys who seem to be getting good servie from their LFX2s. It is a good product, just not for me.

Submitted by jim a racer from usa

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

i've had two of these handlebars in the past year. The first one i put about a half a centimeter thick scratch in, no big deal, right. I paid the 20 bucks to get a new one, and everything was fine. Well, this past week while i was in moab i crashed on slickrock (the trail). My barend was way out of wack, and i thought i had just bent or loosend the barend. So i finished the ride (not using my barends) and when i got back to my hotel i took off the barend and i notices that the whole end of my handle had cracked!!!! I had to buy a whole new handle bar, just so i could ride for the rest of that week!!! Talk about pissing me off. I thought that this handlebar was bombproof. That's a bunch of bullshit. I have a friend that has broken this handlebar too. I have lost total trust in this product. Hell, the crappy avenir bar that i bought has stood up to more punishment than my bombproof Scott LFX bar ever could. I guess if you don't ever ride this handle bar would be good, because it does look cool, and is pretty light. If you never crash, this bar might be pretty good too, but lets face it; if you ride, your going to fall, so this bar isn't worth it no matter what. I never thought i would give out one flaming turd, but there is a first time for everything

Submitted by Steve Z a racer from St. Cloud, Minnesota

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've raced a whole hard season on the LFX-2s. Unless you are a heavy rider or a downhiller, I wouldn't worry about breakage. Moulded in bar ends do make swapping shifters/brake levers a true chore and can result in a little scraping at the bends. Still, these are good, tuff bars. And the lightest out there. You couldn't ask for more.