Scott LF Bar Handlebar

4.23/5 (30 Reviews)

Scott LiteFlite 2 Bar

Submitted by Drew a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    Lasted almost twenty years. No issues, perform great. Have moved on to their 3rd bike now

Weaknesses:    No longer made :( (I wanted a new pair, but see some on eBay)

Bottom Line:
Great bars, a bit of a tendency to hook onto brush and small trees, but I know what to avoid now...

Favorite Trail:   Algonquin

Purchased At:   Oakville, ON

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   RAM XT 3500FS, Full XTR Grouping.

Submitted by BluesDaddy a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Strengths:    Super light, strong enough for any XC situation, comfy

Weaknesses:    Some components may be tricky to install

Bottom Line:
This is one of the few parts that I have moved onto more than one bike. It is that good. If you ride XC and like barends, this bar is your Holy Grail.
Some have mentioned problems finding grips. The solution is simple: buy a pack of roadie cork bar tape. One roll (half a package) will do both sides on the AT-2. Then, four bad crashes later when the tape is all torn up, put on the other roll. I'm still milking the same tape. Enjoy!

Similar Products Used:   Stock cro-mo bars

Bike Setup:   This bar has been on a Trek 950, Bianchi Ibex & now a Ted Wojcik full suspension.

Submitted by JmZ a Cross Country Rider from Northern Indiana

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Strengths:    Light
Multiple positions

Weaknesses:    Not made anymore
Normal grips don't fit.

Bottom Line:
Bought a few sets off Ebay recently. Replace my bar and bar end combo with these. Just as stiff as my lightweight weenie setup and more comfy, and lighter, as a bonus the prices are not hideious either.

Would not advise for heavy/hamfisted/downhiller types, but great for XC work. As mentioned in the my seat review - Bars are a control point and thus highly peronsal.

Again for me I like these, alot. Price is a thought, but less than some other parts.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking - any suggestions?

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Bahrma Bars, other Flat bars and ends

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Fanatic - Rebuilt

Submitted by Ratt a Cross Country Rider from Carlsbad, CA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    ultra lite, i love all the positions for your hands

Weaknesses:    Flexy, weak

Bottom Line:
I loved these bars but they broke after only 2 medium crashes. The only bars i can find right now with intergrated bar ends are the Zooms, after all these years i cannot ride with straight bars. The AT-2LF was the best of the bunch though. A set went for $30 on eBay recently but i just had too much money on my credit card to start a bidding war, told myself no more bike stuff till it was paid off.

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   at-2 non-LF, Zoom Brahmas, Klein Carbon w/intergrated barends

Bike Setup:   Lite weight XC FS

Submitted by Bobo D. Clown a Cross Country Rider from LA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Light.

Bottom Line:
If you are into cross country and wieght conscious this is the bar for you. Major pain in the ass trying to get grips and components on. As little bobo grew into big fat bobo and his skillz improved this bar became scary. Major flex on the jumps and drops. Like I said though for xc racers who want bar ends this is the way to go. I'll sell you my old one for 10 dollars, its still lives. 4 havelinos for a good xc product.

Favorite Trail:   The one w/ nobody on it

Purchased At:   some "feel good" bike shop in Berkeley

Similar Products Used:   too many bars so little time

Bike Setup:   See Bobo's 2002 Dakar review

Submitted by Keven a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Palos Verdes

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort, available hand positions

Weaknesses:    Hard to mount Grip Shifters, and grips.
Also Grips are hard to find that are this long.

Bottom Line:
I bought these bars when they first came out in 1996. Had a b#tch of a time getting my gripshifts on (X-Rays), but did discover that it can be done. All you do is take the grip off the shifter, and with a hack-saw or better yet a band saw, cut off the plasic tube as close to the shifter as you can. Save the remaining plastic tube, and install the shifters and also slide on the cut piece of tube. I use regular grips in combination with Lizard Skin bar end grips, works great, and comfy! These bars offer unlimited hand positions(sounds kinky!), are very very light, & have survived many a crash. Highly recommended!!

Purchased At:   Helen's

Similar Products Used:   Answer Hyperlites

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed

Submitted by Chad Dulkiewicz a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo, NY

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    Very very light!!! I hate "grip shifters" so I didn't have a problem mounting those cuz I don't own em!!! A lot of flex... but that flex helps on those hard hits!!! Always have a fear of them breaking on me... hasen't happened yet!!! Wish they still made em!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Stopped making em!!! =(

Bottom Line:
I wish Scott or somebody else made these bars!!! Why doesn't anybody make them?!?! If I knew they were gonna stop making them I would've bought more... so I guess my bottom line is... I LOVE EM!!!!!!!!!! No complaints!!! Oh yeah... if U'r reading this & U make bike parts... can U PLEASE start making these & send me one!!! =)

Favorite Trail:   what are trails?!

Purchased At:   one of those magazines

Similar Products Used:   No need!!!

Bike Setup:   GT Team RTS (loaded)

Submitted by Jurgen a Racer from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1999

Strengths:
Scott's replacement policy !

Weaknesses:
LF Bar-end folded after one crash.

Bottom Line:
Latest on the AT-2-LF (8/11/99).
Scott stopped making bike parts 3 years ago. They still have some old stock., but no more AT-2-LF's.They replace broken handlebars with the heavier AT2 or the carbon fiber LFX-2. Same price, $20 !
Check with SCOTT USA (800) 292 5874 to see what they have in stock, ask for Todd.SCOTT USA
110 Lewis St.
Katchum, Idaho 83340Send in you broken AT-2-LF, plus a $20 money order, and have it replaced by a Carbon fiber bar !

Flat Creek ranch

3 months

Specialized bars

Specialized FSR-xc comp

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from Antioch, CA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Strengths:
I have the AT-2 LFs. Light weight, durable (at least for me), no bolt on barends to slip or mangle the end of your bar.

Weaknesses:
Hard to mount and remove components (Grip Shift and some stems won't fit), curve where heel of hand rests make them a little less comfortable than regular bar ends, they don't make 'em any more, so I'm worried my bar will break someday due to fatigue failure.

Bottom Line:
The best bars of their kind. Somehow, the integrated bar end bar never caught on. Too bad Scott doesn't make bars anymore. I guess someday I'll have to replace them with a flat bar and bar ends; thereby doubling the weight over what I have now. Scott also made about the best kind of grips to go with this bar; the foam ones are real light and comfortable. Get Lizard Skins bar end covers for the ends; nice.

Ridge Trail

more than 3 years

Performance carbon fiber flat bar, heavy steel bar, Zoom Bramha Bar (same concept, but not as good).

Cannondale Killer-V Hard Tail

Submitted by Jeff Hemming a Cross-Country Rider from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1999

Strengths:
light, lots of room

Weaknesses:
don't make them any more

Bottom Line:
Lots of hand positions for long rides, great for climbing, lightest thing around with bar ends. Why did they stop making them!!!!

dirt

more than 3 years

none - why would I

rigid, Brodie Sovereign with lots of goodies

Submitted by Bill a cross-country rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had an AT-3 on my Giant Cadex, and loved the extra hand positions over the bolt-on grips. The 3's curl completely around. After selling the Giant, I bought a Stumphumper,and put bolt-ons. They were ok, but recentley I got a deal on an ATF-3. I hope it lasts. It's not as beefy as the AT3, but I'm easy on my bike, and don't crash very often. The major pluses are; the extra grippable area, light weight, and being able to streach out in the flats (with the ATF-3). minuses are, they look like moose antlers. 5 hot chillies cause I loved my old AT-3's so much (and had no problems).

Submitted by Ryan a racer from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

Had a AT2-LF. Broke it. Stupid enough to do the crash replacement and get another. Broke it, too. Crashed and burned both times because of it breaking. The second time however, Scott creditted my shop so that I could get some hyperlites. Those damn scotts though--now I am super nervous all the time that my handlebar will break.

Submitted by Xen a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've being using this product for a 4 years. They were so good that I bought a second one for my commuter bike. I find them very comfortable. The flex at the ends smooths out the ride immensely especially on a rigid bike. I did break the one on my moutain bike when A Nose wheelie after a log crossing turned into a forward roll ... I want to buy the plastic one where is it cheap?

Submitted by Dennis F. a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1997

Bottom Line:

I was just able to get hold of the warranty dept. since I busted my Scott AT2-LF and talked to a this guy named Paul. He said they NO LONGER HONOR the warranty on my handlebar (year old) since they do not manufacture it anymore and CANNOT AND WILL NOT replace it with ANY OF THEIR CURRENT MODELS. Needless to say I am very dissappointed and will refuse EVER to buy another one of their products. Loved the handle bar, their warranty ir ROCK BOTTOM.

Submitted by Jay a racer from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1997

Bottom Line:

these bars rule. they are light as hell, very strong, give you many great hand positions and are relatively inexpensive in comparison to bar end bar combinations. i do have one complaint though for my fellow grip shifters. you will need to do some cutting to the inner plastic body of the shifter. the end of them will need to be cut (inner housing, but not the grip itself) and also ALMOST cut all the way through closer to the cable housing to allow it to bend around the curves of the bar. after that is done, and done correctly, it is smooth, light and fast sailing. have fun guys.