Scott Black Magic Handlebar

2.47/5 (19 Reviews)

Scott Black Magic

Submitted by Sean Norville a Racer from Richmond,va

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    This bar has outlasted 5 frames...I'm getting a little concerned now though. It has taken a whole sh**load of abuse , and have begun to wonder why mine has lasted so long compared to the other reviews! I do not run bar ends...maybe!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line.....it's been there and back and soon I will lay it to rest...

Favorite Trail:   Wolf Ridge

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo/Voodoo Canzo/Diamondback/Proflex 857-96&97/stumpjumper

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Collingswood, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Strengths:    Absolutely None!!!!

Weaknesses:    The whole Bar

Bottom Line:
While on a nice downhill, hit a 5 ft. drop/jump, Manitou forks bottomed out and.......SNAP! There go the bars right next to the stem, carbon-filber splintered and bent the bar. Rode the rest of the day with them but was a little nervous to go balls to the wall...Thank god SCOTT is defunct for bicycle parts, now!

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon Park

Bike Setup:   99 Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by Dave Barboza a Cross-Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1999

Strengths:
Strong, light.

Weaknesses:
It cracked

Bottom Line:
The bar lasted 2 or 3 years of my abuse before it died. And when it died, I didn't. I jumped off maybe 6 stairs about 10 minutes ago, and the fibers snapped next to the stem. The bar bent, but I didn't crash & burn. Rode home no problem.

Any trail that's open

2 Years

94 Cannondale M600, Marzocchi xc600 springs

Submitted by craig a Cross-Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1999

Strengths:
light weight

Weaknesses:
overall strength

Bottom Line:
while riding on a quick down, I crossed a water stream and snapped both sides off of the stem. Crash left me with one inch of bar on either side of my stem and hands flying through the air followed by the rest of me. Crashed hard and put sticks in both sides to limp back to the car and buy a real bar. Bought a clubroost. it is heavy but lightweight parts on the front end of a bike can cause major injuries. Light bikes are nice but walking back to the car cause you do not have a handlbar sucks. Lightweight stuff is good for racing but i suggest you build a dependable bike that weighs a pound or two more. Good luck and hope everyone rides fast but safe for years to come! Scott makes awesome glasses but i would not suggest the bar!

6 months

Schwinn homegrown with bomber z2

Submitted by patrick yiu a Weekend Warrior from rowland heights, ca

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1999

Strengths:
cool
cheap
light

Weaknesses:
break easy
can't use with barend

Bottom Line:
this shit suck so much that it didn't worth 40 dollars and when use with barend the carbon fiber crack.i would give it one flame.

1 Year

Submitted by STEVE B a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

CRAP JUNK BOUT KILLED MYSELF WITH THIS BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS ON A CLIMB IN MICHIGAN WITH MY HANDS ON THE BARENDS WHEN THE ALUMINUM PLUG PULLS FREE SENDING ME DOWN A 60 FOOT CLIFF WITH MY BIKE DOING IT'S BEST TO RUN ME OVER AS MANY TIMES AS POSSIBLE BEFORE I DIED!!! WELL AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT I DIDN'T DIE JUST GOT SO BANGED UP I WISH I HAD!!! BROKEN RIBS,TAILBONE ETC. THANK GOD THERE WERE PLENTY OF TREES TO BOUNCE OFF OF!!! DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR BUY ANYTHING BUT SCOTT. ONE TURD FOR IT'S ABILITY TO FIND ME MORE THAN ONCE ON THE WAY DOWN!

Submitted by C E O a racer from Florence, KY

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bar may work well for someone who does not use bar ends. It took only one endo to break the end caps away from the bar and flair the remaining portion of the bar. I have certainly damaged my share of bars before, but this is the only one where the ends actually broke completely off!

Submitted by Todd a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had one of these bars for about 5 minutes. I put it down in a corner and it tore the bar end right off the bar, the bar snapped under the grip about 3 from the end.....never had that one happen before.Cool looking, sure, $40 is a good price for a carbon bar, no quarl there, but I'd like one to last more than 5 minutes.

Submitted by Tony Castro a cross-country rider from Mass

Date Reviewed: August 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

On my my Scott Black Magic bar the aluminum plug ripped off and flared the end of the bar when i put the bike down in the grass. This bar is strong as hell I don't see why the plugs aren't longer or attached to the aluminum core of the bar. Time to fix my bar. I also trashed my back tire the same day but I didn't fall at all. Other than the plug coming off, the bar is very strong.

Submitted by wood hippie a weekend warrior from the woods

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I used this bar for about a year without any problems but I have been paranoid to get wild with it because of its construction and materials. I am happy to report that I have replaced it but I think it is still structurally sound. I felt I should give the product some good words since its home here is the hall of shame. I give it four flameballs for not exploding under my abuse not to mention my 225 pound fat ass

Submitted by Jeff Kuo a racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

Like a lot of other people here, I've broken my Black Magic. But I did it by flipping off the bike at 20+ and landing on the barend which pulled the aluminum plug out a little. Just used a mallet and tapped it back into place and now that I don't use barends anymore, everything's fine. It's also pretty light and nice looking and I don't notice any flex at all.

Submitted by Enigma from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I’ve been riding this bar for about a year now and I, for some strange reason, have been pleased with it. First, it is one of the only carbon bars around that will take the Answer bar ends, and I wouldn’t dream of using anything else :-) Most full carbon bars have sealed ends that are incompatible with the clamping mechanism of those bar ends. But the Answer’s can clamp onto the metal ends of the Black Magic perfectly.
Now I did have a problem. Soon after I got them I did find my self in a slight misalignment of rider/bike/ground and yes, like the rest of you, it busted the bar end off. But instead of breaking the bar, it just ripped the whole metal end plug thing out of the bar. Well, nothing a file and a little quick setting epoxy can’t fix. Same thing happened to the other side shortly there after, and I fixed that one as easily. And the bar ends, the bar, and I lived happily ever after.
Oh ya, as for why this is a good bar. Well, It is light, cheep, and trippy cool to look at. Looks like a billion diamonds in the sunlight as far as I’m concerned. Only advice I can give is use Answer bar ends or none at all, have some epoxy near by, and….. oh ya; sand the area under the grips. It will help keep them from slipping.
Guess others really hate these things, but it’s worked so well for me. I still consider it one of the more eye catching parts on my rig. Then again I guess the whole epoxy thing was a bit uncalled for. Four chilies sound ‘bought right.

Submitted by tom a cross-country rider from texas

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

same story as everyone else, hit a tree with the bar end didn't even go down
just clipped it and the thing broke didn't last 2 weeks!I agree with everyone else
this bar was under engineered and couldn't have been tested on a real mtn
bike with real mtn bike riders.I want my money back but rei said noway take it
up with the manufacture and scott said a new bar for 20 bucks .But why get ripped off again its bs! Its time for a consumer revolt against scott ,yeah
everybody now ...oh come on now people gather round...........

Submitted by Scott a racer from Stillwater, MN

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this because it was cheap lite and inexpensive. After riding on it for a while I took off my barends to replace my grips and I discovered that my bar ends were cracking the bar right where the aluminum plug ends. I figure I will ride it till it brakes but that shouldn't be too long now. Maybee if you don't run bar ends you would be ok but otherwise stay away from this bar.

Submitted by Albert Yau a racer from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: January 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

this piece of crap sucks! after clipping a tree with the barend, the aluminum plug cracked off. clipping a tree or crashing is a normal occurance on a mountain bike. if you want a bar that will last, don't get this piece of junk! it'll be a waste of you money. for the same price, you can get an answer hyperlight or even a kore elite for a little more.

Voodo Wanga Reynolds 631 or Black Magic

Hi Recently i purchased a Voodoo Wanga 19" advertised as Reynolds 631from 3bay. Having received the frame I'm not sure if it is the older Reynolds 631 model as advertised or the later Black Magic Cromoly - there's no label. Is there a difference between the two and how do i go about telling one f ... Read More »

Black Magic; Tips and Tricks

I rode solo most of my life and then I started riding with my LBS guys. Learning little tthings here and there took me from a gangly kid with beat up shins to a good rider. From How to ride over slick rock and roots to changing a tube in 48sec I picked up the tricks that every one should know and ... Read More »

Black Magic

[B]08 Heckler. [/B]Read More »

#5 black magic

black magic according to William James, there are laws in psychology. if you form a picture in your mind of what you would like or wish, and you hold that picture long enough, you produce what you are thinking. in this way monks in certain himalayan monasteries manifest women out of thin a ... Read More »