Salsa Cycles Whammy Handlebar

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

How about a little leverage forThat big All Mountain ride? Salsas Whammy Bar is strong and wide so you can really exert some muscle. 7075T6 aluminum 780mm width 11 deg bend 31.8mm clamp Approximate weight 294 grams

Submitted by Big Gags a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2013

Strengths:    Awesome leverage and control - looks great too!!

Weaknesses:    Can be a bit wide for narrow trails.

Bottom Line:
I got a set of these as standard fit to my Surly Krampus - they seem to fit with the character of the bike (i.e. BIG!!) and I loved them right from the start. They are really wide (780 mm) and until I rode these I used to think that the 680 mm bars on my SS rigid 29er were wide!!

I love these bars!! I am a pretty big guy (195 cm and 100 kg) and they provide me with a really comfortable position that opens up my chest for breathing and allows me to exert lots and lots of leverage!! I am liking them so much that I am now looking to get another set to put onto my SS 29er for the extra leverage.

There are a couple of downsides - narrow singletrack can be a bit of a hassle to get through without clipping the trees. The other thing that I noticed was that when I clip light vegetation on the side of the trail the added length results in the bars being twisted a lot more than when I clip similar trees with my 680 mm bars.

For me though, the advantages of extra leverage, great control, and comfortable riding position outweigh the negatives. The other downside is that Salsa aren't making them anymore and I still haven't managed to find a 2nd set!!

Favorite Trail:   Smiths Gully

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA70 Riser Bars
Titec Hellbent Riser Bars

Bike Setup:   Surly Krampus 29er Fatbike

Submitted by 801Bluediamond a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Wide enough to get some good leverage, can be cut to size for best fit. These bars look good and gives you lots of control. Hand position on these bars are comfortable even on long rides. Bars are strong, definitely confidence inspiring.

Weaknesses:    Takes some getting used to after using bars 640mm and less. They are a little wide for the trails in my area but thats not the bars fault.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bar for someone looking for lots of leverage on climbs or technical terrain. I definately feel more inspired to go faster with more control. They are a little too wide for the trails I ride in the area but I am still experimenting with positioning the grips closer before I cut the bars. Those looking into all mountain riding or technical stuff should think about these bars if clearance is not an issue in your area. If you have lots of narrow single track with trees to snag your bars, don't bother get these just to cut them down to average length. To me that defeats the purpose of these nice wide bars. I would cut maybe about 1 inch from each side for my area and its tight single track, but I'm still experimenting at this point. My grips are about 1 inch from the ends now and it feels good, lots of control, but I come close to a tree once in a while. That slows me down. If you are a XC person looking to increase your control and speed these are good but takes some getting used to, once comfortable with the feel, your speed will increase. Overall I like the bars better than my narrow (normal width) bars.

Favorite Trail:   Whitewater center

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Ride riser bar, 640 mm (about 25.5 inches), Raceface Turbine, 600 mm (about 23.75 inches)

Bike Setup:   Misfit Dissent single speed, rigid. (yes rigid and I love it)

OT: Double Whammy Ski Pass - group discount

The deadline for purchasing a group [URL="http://www.doublewhammypass.com/info/group-pass.asp"]2010-11 Sierra-at-Tahoe/Northstar Double Whammy[/URL] season pass is the end of September. I almost have the minimum 10 people set to go, so there's room for more. Trying to wrap this up by mid-Sept. A ... Read More »

Winter park double Whammy!

Bout time to get this show on the road! Who's planning on racing this weekend?Read More »