Salsa Cycles Pro Moto Flat Bar Handlebar

Weight : 188 grams MSRP : $56.00

Salsa Pro Moto flat handlebars are constructed of 7075 Aluminum. Item Specifications Color Black Weight 188 g Bar Rise 0 mm Bar Clamp Diameter 25.4 mm Material 7075 Al Bend 11 deg

Submitted by jadedbee a Cross Country Rider from Sacto, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    Light, strong, love the 11 degree sweep and the width

Weaknesses:    could use better markings for positioning it in the stem (particularly for the amount of up twist)

Bottom Line:
I originally had the smaller diameter bars with the 11 degree sweep come stock on my El Mariachi. Like the 29 inch wheels, the sweep took some getting used to but I came to love it. I had some huge crashes that destroyed my CroMoto stem and bar ends, but these bars never showed any signs of stress fractures, except for some pinching under the bar ends. I replaced them to be safe, this time with the oversized diameter model (for more stem choices), which also came wider. I cut maybe a half inch off after I couldn't fit through my garage door during test rides, but have kept them slightly wider. Very stiff, very stable. And very strong (still been crashing - took the bars out and inspected them after another year - no signs of damage). If they ever break I'll let you know, but I'll likely be replacing them with the same model as I love it. I bet the smaller ones I replaced to be safe still have years on them also.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager riser and Marin flat aluminum bars

Bike Setup:   9 speed hardtail steel 29er (El Mariachi) with 80mm Reba fork

Submitted by Fleas a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, OH

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    Strength is its strength. Very rigid, light, and strong.

Weaknesses:    None, unless you're looking for a little shock absorption.

Bottom Line:
I was slightly skeptical about riding such a wide bar. I got the 5 deg. flat bar. Stuff that sticks out too far usually gets broken off in MTB-ing, but I was looking for a little more climbing torque, and a little better low-speed stability for the expert section at Ray's Indoor MTB Park. These bars worked perfectly - exactly as I had expected them to. The front end of my bike may actually be a little too stiff now, but nothing a 2.3" tire can't fix. I have not crashed hard on them yet, so we'll see what happens when I do. Usually, if the stem binder isn't excessively tight, the will bars survive OK. Not sure how tight that is with the Thomson, though.

Favorite Trail:   Somewhere in Georgia

Purchased At:   Jenson (I think)

Similar Products Used:   ...not exactly similar, but Answer Hyperlite.

Bike Setup:   Full rigid Stumpy w/ Surly Instigator fork, King hubs, Cook Bros. E cranks, Thomson 120mm x 15deg stem.