Race Face Low riser bar Handlebar

4.81/5 (32 Reviews)

RaceFace Low riser bar

Submitted by clay davies a Cross Country Rider from england

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2006

Strengths:    light, nice thickness for grips.

Weaknesses:    can be too wide if you want to go through bushes

Bottom Line:
this is a nice light handle bar which is ideal for normall trail riding

Purchased At:   aktington cycles

Bike Setup:   trance 2

Submitted by Ragged Edge from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, durable and light.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest

Bottom Line:
Great bar all the way around. Carbon fiber scares the sheat out of me. I have broken the stuff before. For a few extra grams you can have piece of mind that your bar will not SNAP!

Bike Setup:   Turner 02

Submitted by Genital Apparatus a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    Very light in my opinion, stiff with no flex, looks nice, very wide for those who need extra space (you can just cut it if it's too wide). Plus it's Race Face; that's gotta be a strength all on its own!

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses? None so far!

Bottom Line:
What can I say? This bar does it's job well, and looks good at the same time! Plus the fact that I got a good deal on it, but that's another story... Not too much rise, but not flat either; just perfect for me! Just give it a try, you'll probably end up liking it in the end!

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   SportChek Eaton Centre

Similar Products Used:   The cheap bar that came stock with my bike but got bent in a crash.

Bike Setup:   Ks Zed 1.0, Race Face stuff, RST fork, SRAM drivetrain components.

Submitted by N8 a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, Light & Gorgeous

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
I haven't had it for long but so far, along with the Deus stem there is a -huge- difference in my climbing and riding ability in general. Great stuff!

Favorite Trail:   Sea Otter Loop

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Flat Bar

Bike Setup:   '02 StumpJumper, Deus 100mm Stem, Low-Riser Bar

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Portland

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, light, great riding position, not too overly expensive.

Weaknesses:    RF logo covered up if you care about things like that. Not really much of any other weakness I can see.

Bottom Line:
Light, strong, worth the purchase. Would definately recommend this bar to anyone.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stock bars.

Bike Setup:   '01 Stumpjumper M4

Submitted by Josip a Weekend Warrior from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2002

Strengths:    Strength, logo in the center, finish quality

Weaknesses:    big logo covered by grips

Bottom Line:
Get that handlebar, its excellent, stiff, light and quality made. I dont have it for long so i cant speak about durability, but whats to be durable -a pipe. Overall a great handlebar as the others ive had. You cant go wrong with any handlebar in my opinion -i just bought this one because its RaceFace reputation.
Quality rizer.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   ritchey rizer pro, roox torquebar, flat bars

Bike Setup:   for trials

Submitted by Harvey Fujimoto a Weekend Warrior from Wheat Ridge, CO

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, quality appearance, Race Face reputation

Weaknesses:    Lack of index markings on center of bar

Bottom Line:
This bar is ideal for the XC rider looking for a slightly-more aggressive position for downhilling, but without the "high and wide" feel of full riser bars. The extra width gives additional leverage and control, but without feeling "truck-like." The rise is just enough to give more confidence on steep downhills, but is not so high that climbing feels like doing pull-ups on the bar just to keep the front tire down. I chose the red anodized bar, to color-coordinate with a scattering of red parts on my polished aluminimum frame - it matches fine, although, as previous reviews noted, is a bit pinkish. The bar seems stiff, but I'm not sure how much of that feel is from the new Thomson stem I recently installed. I am enjoying this bar very much, and hope it proves to be durable as well. 5 rellenos!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Crow Bar

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer w/XT, Sid 100, Mavic/XT Disc wheels, Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes, Avocet 02 Air saddle, Thomson Seatpost, Thomson stem, Chris King headset

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    modest sweep, light

Weaknesses:    little long; raceface text logo small (be proud!)

Bottom Line:
Other risers had too much sweep and numbed my hands at times. This one doesn't because the sweep is more moderate. The only thing I would say is that if you ride the narrow stuff you may get jammed in tight spots - I did in a spot where my old bar could make it between trees.

Favorite Trail:   DuPont SF

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Farmers Branch,TX

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Strengths:    LOOKS,STREGTH,RACEFACE

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
THESE BARS MADE ME A BETTER RIDER,CLIMBER AND MORE CONFIDENCE ON THE TRAILS..TRY AND KEEP UP:-)...

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill State Park

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   TITEC XC LOWRISE

Bike Setup:   2001 GIANT NRS1,EVERYTHING STOCK EXCEPT REPLACED KOSKI SADDLE FOR SELLE ITALIA TI FLITE AND BARS..

Submitted by Scott Lambert a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, SC US

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    Just the right curves.
Finish quality.
Light.

Weaknesses:    Can't find one yet.

Bottom Line:
If you feel that the stock flat bar is just too flat, but a full 2" riser would be too much, this handlebar is great. Has just the right curves and rise. Has a great finish, and a look of real quality. Does not seem too wide like a lot of the 2" rise bars. What else needs to be said about a handlebar?! A definate 5 flaming pig entrails rating!

Favorite Trail:   Swamp Fox NRT

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Stock CODA flat bar

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD 3 hardtail, XT drivetrain, Thudbuster seatpost, p-bone headshock.

Submitted by David Molleson a Racer from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Strengths:    Incredible strength and rigidness for such a light bar, nice amount of rise, feels great at the helm

Weaknesses:    I think a crossbar would improve my confidence in this bar

Bottom Line:
I built my bike for hardcore XC freeriding (not sure if that makes sense). I ride distance and speed like a XC racer, BUT coming from a BMX background I hit every jump and obstacle (north shore stuff) I can get my hands on. This bar has proved to be exceptionally light, yet rigid enough bar that I can jump monster doubles, yet still keep up with XC racers through single track. Someday I hope to see a 10km race course, that has nothing but monster doubles and triples, and technical sections that require the finess of a ballet dancer....

Favorite Trail:   don valley single track

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions

Similar Products Used:   Profile riser bar with bolt on crossbar

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 870 frame, race face componentry, downhill excaliber rims, psylo XC, big ass tires

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    perfect amount of rise and degrees of bend, strong, light

Weaknesses:    The "deep red" color looks pretty pink to me

Bottom Line:
I love this bar except for the color which they call deep red but is really pink. Still looks decent because I have a red bike. The position is perfect and I am happy that I got it. bottom line: buy this handlebar.

Favorite Trail:   anything hard and technical

Similar Products Used:   ringle riser

Bike Setup:   AEON ISIS built up for freeride

Submitted by jochen a Cross Country Rider from vienna

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    tough, looks good, handles nicely

Weaknesses:    not reproducable quality

Bottom Line:
my raceface bar is perfect, it still looks good after 2,5 years, survived a couple of chrashes and handles very well. also the quality was perfect - the bends were the same right and leftside - no i wanted to get me a new one - just cause mine is cut off at 58 cm and i want to go 60+, but the one i got had strange bends, the right side was bend more than the left, i returned that junk, and the replacement was the other way round - so i´ll switch to some other bar ;-)
5 chilies for the 1999 product
1 for the new taiwan-made crap
= 3 lame peppers

Similar Products Used:   specialized rizer, club roost - all the same junk

Bike Setup:   had this bar on 3 different bikes - zaskar, bianchi boronsteel and finally santacruz heckler sl

Submitted by beaux deuk a Cross Country Rider from marietta

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    good strength-to weight ratio (especially after cutting off one inch on each side!!)

Weaknesses:    none to speak of after a year of a grain fed clydesdale's abuse

Bottom Line:
the 5 degr bend is just what i need, these things are verrryyy wide so keep that in mind if you have any real narrow single track, they do seem to be developing a little flexibility, i'll buy another pair b4 i'm eating out of a tube, one of the causes could be a few of the ugly crashes i've subjected them to,

Favorite Trail:   bear creek