Race Face AirAlloy Handlebar Handlebar

• High Rise - 26.5in, 1.5" Rise

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by C-dog a Downhiller from Montana

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Strengths:    unbreakable, very stiff, perfect dimensions

Weaknesses:    The red anodized looks like pink and all my friends make fun of me.

Bottom Line:
    great bar has outlived 3 frames and too many other parts to name I break alot of stuff. 6'1" 190 lbs tends to do that on a hardtail. I do alot of urban assualt and freeride, and this bar has been great, I dont think there is a single other part on my bike that has lasted as long as these bars, believe me thats saying something. I just wish I hadnt ordered the red one it is definately pink not red, but hey I guess thats my fault. reccomend for all types of riding but particularly where strength is important.

Favorite Trail:   Blue mountain

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   answer, generic crap,

Bike Setup:   kona scab, race face, blah blah truvative blah, sram, ZYZZX, blah blah steel hardtails rock

Submitted by Tim a Downhiller from Maryland

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Strengths:    -awesome Pink
    -strong

Bottom Line:
    sweet, awesome bar really strong if you get a good deal go for it I got an amoeba stem and a race face bar for 2o bucks from a really cool stem and it looks really cool.

Favorite Trail:   North shore/urban

Purchased At:   cool friend

Similar Products Used:   stock bar

Bike Setup:   2000 spec P3 z3 qr20 alex rims xt avid chris king amoeba stem oury grips gazzallodi tires

Submitted by JeFF from T.O., Onterrible

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Strengths:    -Strong
    -Race Face quality
    -Great warranty
    -Look Great

Weaknesses:    uhh, hard to snap?

Bottom Line:
    This bar has been Awesome for the time I've had it. Super strong, nice and stiff, looks cool, and I'm sure that I'll buy another one after this breaks. Plus, it is Race Face . . can't go wrong there!

5 chilis for this guy

Favorite Trail:   secret

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Icon, Easton, Titec

Bike Setup:   Shore w/S7, Race Face, Avid, 24" Doubletracks ect

Submitted by MtnBaker a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Strengths:    Strong as an ox
    perfect width, rise, and sweep (hi-rise version)
    comfy

Weaknesses:    heavier than carbon

Bottom Line:
    I liked this bar so much on my ss that I ditched a Monkeylite carbon riser off my XC hardtail for another RF hi-rise. Being an ss'er, I tend to get out of the saddle and crank hard uphill, even on the gearie - this bar does not flex and I feel like I get a lot more torque to the pedals than I ever did without it. The 26.5" width is perfect for my size and riding style (and the wide-open desert conditions around here - it may be too wide for narrow, tree-lined trails) and the 9 degrees of sweep makes the bar fit in my glove like...well...a glove. Even at $47, I think this bar is a bar-gain (bad pun, sorry), when you consider that a monkey lite costs more than double that.

Favorite Trail:   the one under my wheels

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Icon flat bar, Easton carbon CT2 flat bar, Specialized low-rise, Easton Monkeylite carbon low-rise

Bike Setup:   (1) Redline monocog frame; RF cranks, stem, hi-rise bar; thomson post; Sun Rhynolite/Superstock wheelset; Selle Italia Saddle; SID XC fork; Time pedals (2) Gunnar Rockhound frame; RF cranks, stem, hi-rise bar; XTR/Rhynolite wheelset; thomson post; Selle Italia saddle; XT drivetrain; 'Zoke Z2 Atom 80 fork; Time pedals

Submitted by max bouck a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Strengths:    this bar is awsome it has anice rise its wide and it build skill and confidents.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    i just got this bar today and i have already improved 3 fold. it gives so much more controle and i can pull a full tweek from just pulling up my front end for a second.
    go buy it now

Favorite Trail:   esspreso

Purchased At:   cove

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpjumper, manatou,xt, xtr

Submitted by turtle a Cross Country Rider from Rochester

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2002

Strengths:    I actually bought the flat bar. I'm impressed with the stiffness of this 170 gram bar. The contruction, both heat treated and shot peened, is awsome at this price. It feels good but I preffer a little more bend, but that's all right because they match my RF cranks.

Weaknesses:    Race Face doesn't make matching Berts.

Bottom Line:
    Great bar. This is stiffer than bars weighing a hundred grams more. I haven't crashed 'em hard yet but I think they will last a long time. And the colour is cool taoo.

Purchased At:   Honest Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Icon, Titec

Bike Setup:   A little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Submitted by Peter a Downhiller from N. Ireland

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Strengths:    This is the Air Alloy DH bar. Beautiful width, rise, sweep. Stiff and precise. Excellent machining. It feels just right!

Weaknesses:    My bar snapped within 2 weeks. The light expensive alloy perhaps doesn't have a high fatigue resistance, but i bought another one anyway cos it feels so perfect! I crashed on a set of doubles at high speed and bounced 30feet with my bike somewhere behind. The impact on the ground snapped the bars. They didn't fail while i was riding.

Bottom Line:
    I still have complete confidence and have just fitted another set of these bars! The most perfect feel from a riser, ideally suited to a freerider or downhiller looking for factory spec stiffness and feel without an excess weight penalty. For dirtjumping....i think u guys might bail a little too much! These are as used by factory DH teams.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   24/7 simple bar, titec dh, sintesi riser.

Bike Setup:   coyote dual, DJ1 forks, hope bulb/d321, hope m4's, truvativ hussefelt, blackspire, xt, race face diabolus stem.

Submitted by Josh a Downhiller from Amherst, MA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, good sweep, good rise, not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    A little pricy, I got mine for $30 used

Bottom Line:
    This bar is now on it's fourth bike! That's right, I snapped a XC frame, cracked a DS hardtail, and cracked a downhill frame but this bars still in one piece. I write this review because I'm about to retire the old Race Face bar. I want to try out somethign wider on my DH bike and would imagine that after 2.5 years of pretty heavy abuse that even a tough bar like this might be getting pretty tired. This is one of those great components that I'd buy again (if it came any wider) and that you want to hang up on the wall after you're done with it.

Favorite Trail:   roller coaster

Purchased At:   Cyclesmith

Bike Setup:   2000 S-works FSR downhill.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Central, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    perfect amount of rise, light enough

Weaknesses:    a little pricey

Bottom Line:
    Granted I don't have much experience at this point. These bars were an impulse buy that were recommended by the shop guy. Fit me perfectly, feel great and improved my ride on the first day out. Didn't notice much flex, lighter than the stock bars I swapped out.

Purchased At:   Bike King

Similar Products Used:   stock specialized bar

Bike Setup:   2001 Rockhopper FSC Comp, mostly stock,

Submitted by WA a Cross Country Rider from Redhill

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    Width, rise, sweep, weight, stiffness

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
    I couldn't believe the difference these made to my riding. The width is great, gives you so much control, and the sweep brings the grips comfortably to your hands. They do flex a little, but this absorbs some trail chatter and adds a certain natural flow to your riding.

They are perfect for XC thrashing (ups, downs, rocks & singletrack) and thew low rise is enough to ease lower back pressure without turning your bike into a harley davidson.

Fantastic bars, just a tiny bit expensive (the apparently excellent monkey bars are £13 cheaper after all).

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Purchased At:   Nirvana. Westcott

Similar Products Used:   stock spesh bars, stock marin bars, azonic doublewalls

Bike Setup:   Kona Kikapu, Z1 X-fly

Submitted by Michael Houghton Houghton a Weekend Warrior from Boonah QLD Australia

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    This is fr the Air Alloy Riser
    Nice Rise and bends
    Great pink/red colour and graphics
    Strong
    Great for Freeriding, trailriding and DH
    Not too heavy

Weaknesses:    Pink (other colurs avalible for Hardcores)
    Expensive
    Bit Heavy

Bottom Line:
    These bars are Gnarly! I wanted more control with risers and these were a very good choice. I was too hunched over with flats and these are much better for my back.
    They are expensive and a bit heavy but they are a pro level DH Bar. They offer more control and are more comfortable. They didn't seem to disadvantage me when climbing.
    If you want this type of riser and can afford it get it.
    Overall-5 flamin' chillies, turds, whatever they are.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Cootha (illegal)

Purchased At:   The Gap Bike Shop!!

Similar Products Used:   aluminium flat bar (Dirty)

Bike Setup:   99 Avanti Aggresor with BMX Pedals

Submitted by Marcel Lopez a Cross Country Rider from Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    very light without sacrificing durability and toughness. It is very good in improving the overall performance of the bike.

Weaknesses:    ???

Bottom Line:
    im very pleased with this handlebar. its light and very strong. and the race face name on it tells me its a very good handlebar and should last me quite some time. If your looking for a flat bar, look no more. buy it. you wont regret it.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300. XT deraulliers. Raceface seatpost, handlebar
    and grips. Time pedals, trailblaster tires, bontrager superstock rims, selle italia pro link saddle, avid arch rival brakes, lx cranks and levers, manitou magnum fork
    sram powerglide 7.0 cassette, sram pc-69 chain, bontrager race stem.

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Amherst, MA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2002

Strengths:    Doesn't seem to break. Not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    A little pricey, I got mine used. I'd never pay full retail on it.

Bottom Line:
    Put it on my bike and never took it off. Enough with skinny narrow flat bars already.

Submitted by Al a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Strengths:    comfortable angles
    looks good
    not too heavy for a riser bar (in fact about the same weight as my old stock flat bar)

Weaknesses:    there are lighter bars out there if you can aford the price

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bar because the ride position was too leant over with my old flat bar.

I ride for fun only. The riser bar has made a huge difference to my comfort. Getting the ride position right for your body is very important. Don't do what I did and put up with stock parts thinking "I will get used to it". After 2 years I finaly decided to spend the money and fit a new bar. Should have upgraded 2 years ago!