Profile Racing Fiber XC handlebar Handlebar

3.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Fiber XC handlebar

Submitted by Eric L a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    Looks sooooo sick
Pretty lightweight
Did I mention it looks wayy cool?

Weaknesses:    Those aluminum things look weird...but i dont use bar ends so i dont know if they work well

-Its a frickin handlebar-I dont see how people can have soooo many problems

Bottom Line:
Not sure if im weird but carbon fiber turns me on. I rode the EA 70 bar for like 15 miles and then returned it to my LBS when i saw this on ebay. Not sure why but it just feels better than the EA 70. Its pretty cool how it kind of absorbs small vibrations. Also, im not sure how someone could brake this thing-its as solid as a rock. If you can get a decent price on it, get it. If not, get it anyways.

Favorite Trail:   Schoolyard

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA 70

Bike Setup:   Access XCL frame, XT deraileurs, race face evolve XC cranks, wellgo M-something titanium, FSA platinum pro BB, FSA orbit DL, Shimano xt cassette, XTR chain, Sun Ringle RPM lite rims, more stuff but im gettin bored

Submitted by Mark Lasch a Cross Country Rider from Friendswood, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    Looks great, light, stiff

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bar for a year. I have some concerns about riding it sub 50 degrees, but I love it. It looks great, it is stiff, absorbs a lot of little impacts, has crashed without any obvious problems. I use it with bar ends and have not had any problems with the inserts. It was a good buy for me, got it on a close-out!

Favorite Trail:   Ant Hills

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Coda factory bar

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SV 900, Mostly XT with XTR V-Brakes, Race Face cranks, Spinergy Spox ...

Submitted by Saby a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Strengths:    very Stiff

Weaknesses:    The look is very average, the aluminium insert for teh bar end wont last, if you don't care about look and you don't use bar ends, I guesss this bar is OK but consider other option

Bottom Line:
There are not good reason to buy this bar, I had it for a couple month where I used it exclusively on pavement (building up cardio), I NEVER crashed, then again I ride on pavement, it's kinda hard to crash... The little aluminium insert for bard end loosed up on one side which make using the bar ends totaly impossible. Brought it back to my LBS and got an nice Answer Hyperlite Carbon instead, this bar is lighter, look way better and won't have the same problem (no insert). Bottom line, stay away for this product.

Similar Products Used:   Answer Hyperlite Carbon

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountian Oxigen Race, full XTR, Race Face Next, Syncros (stem, seat post and headset)

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, good looking, aluminum inserts for bar ends, soaks up the trail/road.

Weaknesses:    Tough to tell how tight to clamp down on it

Bottom Line:
My first fiber handlebar. Feels very different from the normal. I was worried about how hard to clamp down on it. Finally I said screw it and tighten the hell out of the stem. To my relief it is just as solid as anything else.

Anyway, I liked the fact it had inserts for bar ends and the price was right. It has held up well and I have taken a few pretty hard spills.

Lifetime warranty!

Purchased At:   Bike Masters

Similar Products Used:   Avenir, Easton

Bike Setup:   Modded, Specialized HR Comp 02

Submitted by diego a Racer from bolivia

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    it separated, the union of the carbon fiber with the aluminum of the end, the aluminum broked with the bar ends tight, not a really good handlebar, I had to by a race face XY instead.

Bottom Line:
not a good handlebar.

Purchased At:   ozone bike, austin TX

Similar Products Used:   coda expert, raceface xy.

Submitted by Duncan a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm writing to report a problem I had with these bars. I was using them with Profile aluminum bar-ends, and had to really tighten down the pinch bolts on the bar-ends to keep them from slipping. In retrospect, I think the diameters didn't match very well.

In any case, when I finally got the bar-ends to stop moving, things were fine, until I bent the aluminum insert at the end of the bar in a very minor crash. Turns out the aluminum insert was crimped by the bar-end, and the other side was almost as bad (no crash on that side). So in sum, I damaged the bars in trying to make them work with bar-ends from the same company. Yeah, maybe I should have stopped cranking down the pinch bolts, but it seems fair to expect a company's parts to work together well. I certainly had no problem with the bar-ends on a previous set of bars from another company. I guess I'd just caution folks to test the match of bar-ends with these bars, even if they're both Profile.

Submitted by Westy a Racer from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    Very light, reasonably stiff. Amazing carbon weeve look. Bar end inserts are great espacially with profile carbon bar ends.

Weaknesses:    I don't like scuffing the resin, it looks better shiny!

Bottom Line:
Great bar for the money. Fairly stiff, great looking and light.

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Peterborough

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of metal bars

Bike Setup:   Wheeler Cro-mo, XC race geometry, XTR, Race Face.

Submitted by Jason D a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Bar end insert spun itself loose
Flexy

Bottom Line:
Junk, how can a 3 month old product fail so quickly? I was really expecting great things from Profile from experience with the BMX cranks. This disappointed me, I'm getting a Race Face bar today.

Favorite Trail:   the one with dirt rocks and roots

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Titec, Easton

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon, Atom 80, Race face

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Strengths:    Super Low Weight, Strength, Looks Way Cool, Price.

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
Thus far I love this bar. It looks really cool on the bike and weighs almost nothing. I got mine for under $40! Unbeatable. Ride is very good, and I have raced with mine twice, and put lots of stress on them, and they just seem to love the abuse. My front end is substantially lighter. I can recommend this bar to anyone looking to lighten up their ride.

Similar Products Used:   Other, metal bars.

Bike Setup:   FSR Expert. Didn't care for the riser bar.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Kingston RI

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2000

Strengths:    Looks weight

Weaknesses:    They break

Bottom Line:
This is the second set I broke. I would not suggest you buy these. You will get hurt. They offered to replace them free of charge, but I am sick of them breaking. They can keepem.

Similar Products Used:   Hyperlitye, dean titanium

Bike Setup:   Iron horse, Rolf propel wheels, XTR

Submitted by Dan Burros a Cross Country Rider from Annandale, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Strengths:    Incredible dampening, stiff yet comfortable, looks great

Weaknesses:    Weight, but for the comfort I'll live with 20 extra grams

Bottom Line:
I love this bar, not very often do I feel something makes such a huge difference, but this is one of them.

Favorite Trail:   There all good

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Bars, Control Tech EA70

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race w/Z2 Atom Bomb, XTR, 517's

Submitted by David Perrotta a Cross Country Rider from Kingston RI

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2000

Strengths:    weight
cool looking

Bottom Line:
I broke a set of these about a year into use. I belive it was just a defect. Profile replaced no questions asked. The new set has performed great.

Similar Products Used:   answer hyperlite

Bike Setup:   iron horse ars 900, spinergy, esp, xtr, kooka

Submitted by Dijridoo a Weekend Warrior from Grand Forks, ND

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2000

Strengths:
Weight?
Looks
Strength
Alloy inserts

Weaknesses:
Weight

Bottom Line:
I got these because I wanted to try carbon bars for their weight, strength, and damping abilities. I also wanted to try riser bars, and my LBS let me try these out for a few days (nice folks!). The test worked because I bought them no question, and they have been great ever since. I run Paul levers, Suntour thumbshifters, and Serfas grips, and there is plenty of room on the bars for all the gear. The grips like to stick, and I have to be very careful not to scratch the surface when putting stuff on or taking it off. When I switched back to my original Salsa Pro-Moto flat bars I noticed the weight difference immediately (the risers are lots heavier). BUT, the damping is great, the control is outstanding, and I feel confident in their strength.Bottom line: Give 'em a try as a comparison to much more expensive bars and a nice alternative to aluminum. 4 chilis with a deduct for weight.

Chequamegon clusters