Performance Topo XC 220 riser bars Handlebar

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Performance Topo XC 220 riser bars

Submitted by danK a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    Price
Weight
Strength

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is for the CTR Carbon riser (doubt there will be a review category for it).
The bar is about 170 grams, comfortable for my wrist/needs/hands and is good looking enough for the brand conscious.
I think bars are like shoes and saddles = personal needs, but this CTR Performance carbon riser is one of the few times I've been happy with a nashbar or performance or supergo item (most of the time they are crap). I wouldn't be surprised to learn this bar is the same as many of the other $$$$ bars from the same factory. At about $52 with coupon, it's a great deal even compared to the carbon risers on ebay.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much everything.

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by J T a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    -price
-weight
-strength

Weaknesses:    -if you're into status, they're labled TOPO
-might be nice if they were wider, one could cut them down if too wide.

Bottom Line:
Very nice for XC. I previously used flat bars w/ barends, and these risers are both more comfortable and give greater control in the tight stuff. I don't miss barends on climbs (I thought I would). Great for the price, but might be nice if they were wider.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager flat w/ barends

Bike Setup:   AL hardtail

Submitted by RastaMoha a Cross Country Rider from Union City, CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, Affordable, Strong Bar

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
For the price they are really worth it. Not to mention pretty strong. I put them through a little work out and they are holding up. I am impressed by some Performance brand products. Enjoy the ride.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   GO-fast riser bar

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept, Marzocchi Atom Race, XT Drivetrain, Egg Beaters, Avid Arch Rivals, Aerospoke.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    weight, value

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
It's a great bar, only weighs 220 grams for 20 bucks, while u pay 80 bucks for an easton that weighs 210. It didn't have enough rise for me so i got and icon diesel. But it is great for xc riding because the rise isn't to high and it won't throw off your climbing. I dont think i would use it for downhilling though.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Purchased At:   Performace Magazine

Similar Products Used:   icon diesel(great bar), EA 50 riser, stock gt bar on a 98 agressor(weighs a million pounds)

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race, rock shox xl's, lx drivetrain, hayes discs, bontrager stem and seat post, terry fly saddle, momentum hubs on speeddisc wheels

Submitted by carl a Weekend Warrior from nc

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Strengths:    it works. I wanted to try a riser bar but didn't want to pay 80 bucks for a cool one. It feels really cool

Weaknesses:    it says topo on it in two places

Bottom Line:
for the price you can't beat it they even gave me the little motor bike cross brace so now I make motorcycle noises while I ride through the woods.
Handle bars are like condoms, I don't care what type I am using. I am just glad I am using them.

Submitted by meado a Racer from denver

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap!!!
Competitive weight

Bottom Line:
Great XC bar. Originally purchased for my Santa Cruz frame for DH. Did a lot of bombing and crash testing. No problems. Should last longer on my XC rig.

In general I have never had a problem with Performance branded goods.

Why spend the $$$$ when you can't tell the difference?

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim, dakota ridge/red rocks

Similar Products Used:   Yeti/Scott Thermoplastic
Answer

Bike Setup:   Habanero Ti frame
Superfly
Hugi 240/Mavic Wheelset
Shimano blah blah blah....

Submitted by Russell Seaton a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2000

Strengths:    It has 45mm rise. Black matches the rest of the bike. Cheap, $18 less various sales took it down to $13.50.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of Performance's Downhill bar. I needed to increase my height but not shorten the reach. Therefore, the riser bar was the only option. And cheapest. For a stem I would have needed a 150mm length with a 40 degree rise. Not made by anyone. Looked at a 135mm stem with 40 degree rise and it brought the bars back an inch or so. Not good. Stock stem is a 135mm 5 degree rise with only a 5mm spacer under the stem clamps. Bar is comfortable enough. Have not tested it by flying down a hill. And don't plan to. The 5 degree shallow sweep of the bars seems right. Don't think I would like the 8 or 10 degree sweeps on other bars. Too much bend in the wrists. The 5 degree sweep also does not bring the bars back to you too much. Width is 62cm. Much wider than the steaight stock bar of 57cm. I liked the narrower bar better. But the way I have my grips, bar ends, shifters, and brakes clamped to the bar, I don't have any bar top to spare to cut off an inch from either side. The gear indicators on the LX shift pods are already hanging out in the air over the middle depressed section. So I have to go plowing into the wind with the big wide bars.

Favorite Trail:   paved roads

Similar Products Used:   Titec straight bar that came stock.

Bike Setup:   1999 Raleigh M600

Submitted by Trent a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1999

Strengths:
Inexpensive. So far, so good. The rise and bend feel comfortable.

Weaknesses:
My black bars turned gold, but only on the top half of the bar. Maybe the sun fades the paint?

Bottom Line:
Except for the discoloration, these bars have worked great. I had a problem with my new Yeti grips spinning on these bars, but I'm not sure if it was the grips or the bars. Nail polish enamel fixed the problem though. I'll give these bars four burning rodents.

Any Utah trail

1 Year

I used Answer Taperlites for about 8 years. I figured that was long enough for aluminum bars, so I bought the Topo bars and stem.

Supergo frame, old XT components, Indy XT, Topo bars, stem and brake levers.

Submitted by Jesse a Cross-Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap! Almost as light as an $100 carbon fiber riser.

Weaknesses:
About 1 inch too short.

Bottom Line:
Saved over 100g over my stock Titec bar. Bought to bar on sale so only paid $15! The bar is only 600 mm wide (23.7 inches), so it feels more narrow than other risers. No other complaints so far.

Clementine Loop

3 months

Titec Hell-Bent riser, Specialized riser, Easton MonkeyLite.

Schwinn 4-Banger All-Mountain

Submitted by RobInfo a Cross-Country Rider from Downingtown,pa

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Strengths:
reasonable price, reasonable weight

Weaknesses:
None, should I buy dental insurance?

Bottom Line:
This is more a review of riser bars. Sure, it's easier to swap the stem, but a riser stem looks dorky. I was pleasantly suprised how much I like these bars, maybe it the sweep they have. You need to finess a little more on steep climbs, but steep drops are alot less unnerving. I can get great air not too. For 20-30 bucks they're worth a try.

French Creek

6 months

RM Element, TTT dogbone stem

Submitted by rick chittick a Racer from littleton, co

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1999

Strengths:
it works. it actually says topo on it and it works. i was shocked. great stuff.

Weaknesses:
it says topo on it. makes you look like a cheap bastard.

Bottom Line:
i decided to jump on this riser bar bandwagon and couldn't afford anything snazzy, so i scored this on sale (note: do NOT pay 28 dollars, 'cuz it's always going on sale), and it really really worked. improved my control and balance and made downhilling a lot easier. if you wanna find out what this riser thing is all about and don't wanna shell out $40 or more, wait until it goes on sale for $20 and go grab one.

the lynn trail, harrisonburg, va

3 months

on a stumpy m2 with manitou sx ti.