Pazzaz Downhill Handlebars Handlebar

4.05/5 (19 Reviews)

Pazzaz Downhill Handlebars

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Unique name and product that I found in the Mountain Bike Action Magazine/August 1999(Hungarian version) while on vacation in Hungary for the month of July. Low price for the bar + riser at Kerekpar in Budapest, Hungary for a mere 3,000 Forints ($20 Canadian) back in early July 1999. A good range of colours, sweep up, sweep back & sturdy brace.

Weaknesses:    Couldn't be found and some times never even heard of in both Canadian & American bike shops.

Bottom Line:
I installed this handlebar with brace on my 1996 GT Ricochet as soon as I got home from my month long summer vacation in Hungary (July 1999). I still use it when my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk is in for service.
Bottom Line: I ride my 1996 GT Ricochet like the hardtail/entry level xc bike that it is, but it feels like I'm riding a cruiser, it's a good thing! A mere $20 Canadian (3,000 Forint/July 1999) and vacation memories to last a lifetime. I think Marco "The Pirate" Pantani won the Tour De France/Le Tour De France that year.

Purchased At:   Kerekpar in Budapest, Hungary (July 1999)

Similar Products Used:   Cheap steel bar that came stock on a $200/1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, a wooden broom handle (yes, an actual wooden broom handle that lasted for 80% of a regular ride & then I called for back-up to take me home). Stock aluminum GT bar on my $800/1996 GT Ricochet. Stock Bontrager Race Modified 620 on my $2,800/2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Akim Hash a Downhiller from Bucharest Romania

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    weight
dimensions
strenght

Weaknesses:    none for now

Bottom Line:
it feels very good, i have better control of the bike with it, i also like it cause it's light. and the price is not that big....

Favorite Trail:   Transilvanian mountains

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   marin 6061

Bike Setup:   marin frame , ritchey rims, continental vertical pro tires, shimano V-brakes and speed shifters

Submitted by Pepe a Cross Country Rider from Las Rozas (Spain)

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    -Mine is carbon-fiber constructed. :-))))
-It's cool, very cool.
-¡¡Control!!

Weaknesses:    It's very expensive.

Bottom Line:
Now, ¡¡test it!!

Favorite Trail:   La Acebeda

Similar Products Used:   Steel plain bar.

Bike Setup:   Uf!

Submitted by justin s a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2001

Strengths:    cheap, cool looks and colours, bolt on brace

Bottom Line:
these are the best bars ive ever used

Purchased At:   bike barn

Similar Products Used:   standard s h i t flat bar

Bike Setup:   Apollo Ozark

Submitted by Steve M from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Strengths:    weight - only 210 grams
Strength
Price

Weaknesses:    Creaks a bit

Bottom Line:
Great product. Performs better than most bars. I also didn't want to go with too much of a rise for fear that it would hurt the climbing ability of my bike, so I went for the 20mm (about 3/4 of an inch). This bar actually aids in climbing! The rise is not that much and the sweep is perfect. On downhills, it's sweet. Just the perfect width and rise to to have increased control especially in thehnical spots. I'll never go back to a flat bar. This is an outstanding low riser bar that I would highly reccommend to anyone. Trust me, it will highlight the handeling characteristics on your bike. If you must, you can spend a whole lot more money, but I doubt you'll find much better than these bars. I know there isn't anything out there, for only $20.00, that even comes close! 5 Chilis accross the board!

Favorite Trail:   Ho-Chi-Minh Mamorial Park

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Easton Monkey Light,Botrager Crow Bar,Club Roost, Race Face "Low" Rise, Profile

Bike Setup:   Y2K Trek 7000, Rock Shock Seat Post, Pazzaz 20mm Low Riser

Submitted by Manny a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2000

Strengths:    LIGHT, ATTRACTIVE, CHEAP.

Weaknesses:    A 'BIT' NARROW.

Bottom Line:
MY PREVIOUS BAR WAS A BAR/BAR-END COMBO. IT WAS NARROW AND I WOULD USUALLY GRIP THE BAR AT THE BEND BETWEEN BAR AND BAR-END.

I WANTED TO TRY A RISER, BUT I WAS AFRAID IT WOULD HAVE AN ADVERSE EFFECT ON STEEP, LOOSE CLIMBING. I TOOK A 'BABY STEP' AND BOUGHT THE PAZZAZ W/ 20MM RISE (PRETTY MILD).

I THINK THE BAR ACTUALLY IMPROVED MY CLIMBING. IT'S WIDER FOR MORE CONTROL AND I DON'T SHIFT MY HANDS FROM BAR TO BAR-END. I THINK THIS MAKES FOR MORE CONSISTENT CONTROL. THE WIDER GRIP ALSO LETS ME 'MUSCLE' THE BIKE A LITTLE MORE.
THE BACKSWEEP AND UPSWEEP ARE PERFECT FOR ME. I SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH SOMETHING A BIT WIDER THAN 24". MY 'PINKY'SITS RIGHT AT THE END OF THE BAR.

THE FINISH IS EXCELLENT (I THINK IT'S POWDER COAT). THE FINISH DID NOT MAR DURING INSTALLATION OR WHEN I 'SHOOK HANDS' WITH A FENCE POST.

NO CREAKING EITHER.

Favorite Trail:   INDIAN CREEK (CUYAMACA)

Purchased At:   SUPERGO.COM

Similar Products Used:   PROFILE AT-2LF
ZOOM STRAIGHT BAR

Bike Setup:   LIGHTSPEED OCOEE HT, MANITOU SX, XT/XTR

Submitted by tito reuben a Downhiller from spokane,WA.usa

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Strengths:    This bar is totally stong. O f coures there are a few different ones I personally have the oversized bar and stemm combo thats 3mill thick NO FLEX

Weaknesses:    The only bad thing is that I cant move things in very far on the bar wide grips make the bar a pain in the ass. becous e of the oversize tubing.

Bottom Line:
by it its cheap I got a good deal on mine couse of the coool shop. $20 for the oversized bar and stem.
remmber if in spokane shop at wheel sport north

Favorite Trail:   one thats hidden

Purchased At:   a cool shop in florence OR

Similar Products Used:   lots of dh shiznit

Bike Setup:   kona chute and all the good stuff

Submitted by Durte V a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Strengths:    Great Looks, Light Weight, cheap

Weaknesses:    CHEAP CHEAP the aluminum caps on the ends came off with my bar ends, the store replaced the bar with another and it happened again, also bar bent on a minor fall.

Bottom Line:
Great looks but no quality, doesn't last, which is why you buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Similar Products Used:   Kore Elite

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper, manitou sx ti, XTR throughout

Submitted by Winslow a Downhiller from MI

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, cheap

Weaknesses:    Maybe that it requires an oversized stem.

Bottom Line:
Inexpensive and strong, what else do you want ?

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, trek

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V set for DH/freeride

Submitted by Jonny a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
To start off....There are more than one type of Pazzaz DH bar- the 3 types I know of are.
1) The bolt on cross brace type. (I have had this bar but didn't like it, too cr*ppy)
2) The welded on cross brace. (This bar is powder coated and looks like a copy of the Kore Dh bar but cheap and nasty ).
3) The full on DH oversized type lacking a crossbar (this is the bar I have now, It came with a stem for 70 dollars Australian) I always thought Pazzaz was a cheapo sh*t a*s company but this bar has really turned me about. Its 6061 and has a 3 mm wall and is aimed at the DH and freeride market. The finsish is a sandblasted Ti colour and seems very hard stuff. Check out a review of the bars at www.dirtworld.com. BEEF CAKE BARS
Jonny B.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Gordo a Downhiller from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1999

Strengths:
Light, Cheap, look good, strong, good rise and sweep and descent width.

Weaknesses:
None yet

Bottom Line:
Good quality bar at a cheap price, I dont know too much about them yet so I'll give it 4 burning terds or chilli's, what ever they are !

dirt

some flat crappy bars

Giant ATX 840

Submitted by Jack a Downhiller from Aviano AB, Italy

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1999

Strengths:
Very Stron and nicce looking. Great Price!

Weaknesses:
None Found yet!!!

Bottom Line:
Awesome hanlebar at a great price.

Mongoose MGX D50I

Submitted by Oli Day a Weekend Warrior from Tenby, Wales

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1999

Strengths:
Light, Cheap, looks cool, wide

Weaknesses:
I haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
These bars are good. For the money ( £20.00 ) you get a fairly light Dh or trrail riding bar. The people who say they are crap don't know what they are talking about and should stop their bloody whining. If your bars creak then all u have to do is put grease were the brace clamps on and where the bars clamp into the stem. I like them and will give them 5 burning red turd things

The ones where I take it to the max

Tranz X DH bars
Azonic World Force Risers
Saracen Own Brand

Marin Palisades Trail

Submitted by vansunkel a Downhiller from Cumbria, UK

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
cheap

Weaknesses:
they snapped on me

Bottom Line:
they snapped on me!!!!

streets

6 months

club roost go fast

gt backwoods set up for trials

Submitted by huey a racer from Canberra,, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I picked some of these bars up brand spanking new for $40 (aussie bucks),
about 20 pounds and 25 us dollars and they shred with the best of them .my mates have azoniz and that other wanky stuff wich is way too expensive but i have survived with my trusty pazzaz bar for one year now. no creaking(yet) no flex only one problem wich isnt too important and that is the bolts on the crossbar are little prics to undo once they are done up too tight,other than that they are up to standards.five stars.