Klein Stratum 165 Bar Handlebar

4.71/5 (17 Reviews)

Klein Stratum 165

Submitted by ass from ass

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2005

Strengths:    ASS asss ass as aaaaaaassss ass asssssa aasssss assss.

Weaknesses:    AsSSSS Ass ASSSSS Assss

Bottom Line:
ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS

Similar Products Used:   Ass Ass Ass Ass

Bike Setup:   Ass

Submitted by Joseph a Weekend Warrior from kearny,nj usa

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    very nice looking and too light to imagine.

Weaknesses:    easily chipped

Bottom Line:
although extremely light. bar snapped going slowly over log. it just sheared off on the way down. i didn't even fall or hit the log hard. im figuring it had a previous crack from earlier on.

Similar Products Used:   azonic carbon, scott carbon, answer hyperlight

Bike Setup:   carbon lts

Submitted by seth carlson a Cross Country Rider from casselton

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2003

Strengths:    light, matches my klein adroit

Weaknesses:    i dont know if i should just use bar tape on my whole handlebar and ends, or try and slide grips onto the bar

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for these things forever!! Klein sold out to trek, so its impossible to find em now. My bike shop just found them the other day while digging through the back of their shop. I luckily got these. I now feel so complete. They're strong, light, and the barends look kinda cool. If you're looking for a stratum 185, you can get one at scheels all sports for $19.99 in fargo, nd. # 1 701 298 2918

Favorite Trail:   maah daah hey

Purchased At:   scheels all sports

Similar Products Used:   none, this one is very diverse--totally pimped out

Bike Setup:   adroit w/ sx carbon fork, xtr, bontrager race, thomson elite

Submitted by Grand Pooh Bear a Weekend Warrior from Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiffness, durability

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Stratum 90 bar, not the 165. I purchased this bar after reading about it in a magazine. Weighing in at 89.9 grams, I had to have it, being a total weight weenie. The box was heavier than the bar. The shop actually checked to make sure the box wasn't empty. I actually killed my first one in a crash, because as it turned out, I had tightened the brake levers so much on the handlebars, they cut into teh carbon, which cracked and snapped when it came up close and personal with a rock. I bit the bullet and bought a new one after consulting Klein about the problem. Now I tighten the levers down just enough to make them snug. No chance of cutting the carbon. Since then, I have never had a problem. I can put my full weight on them(160)without a hint of flex, even if I bounce on them. I have no doubt this bar is one of the strongest bars going, especially considering the weight. Too bad it is no longer made.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia

Purchased At:   Narragansett Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Scott, Trek

Bike Setup:   Trek STP with a motley collection of 90's exotic parts

Submitted by Anton a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    Super light, sharp looking.

Weaknesses:    Can't remove the bar ends w/out chopping them off permanently.

Bottom Line:
These bars are so light, it's not funny. I'm sort of afraid something this light will snap easily, but so far, no problems, even though I regularly clamp lights on them and crash into stationary objects at night. They make a weird crackling noise sometimes under stress, which I don't mind since my carbon bike is pretty crackly to begin with.

Can't believe how cheap I got them for. I forgot the name of the store, unfortunately.

Similar Products Used:   Heavy aluminum bars that came with bike

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-11

Submitted by Kenny Adams a Cross Country Rider from Coronado, CA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong, reduces some arm fatigue from long rough rides, look trick

Weaknesses:    None that I'm concerned about...you can't use bar ends.

Bottom Line:
I don't think I need 50 words to bottom lines these bars, but anyway...I am pretty sure they stopped making these. I got lucky and found them unused at my LBS. It's probably not the best bar for hardcore jumping or downhill. I have the Stratum 90's...I have no idea how much the weigh exactly, but they are really light, almost scary. They look almost like plastic on the outside. If you find some and you like flat bars, grab them!

Purchased At:   Hollands Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Icon Series (folded in half on a table top), Syncros flat 6061 (good bar, but crap compared to the Statum)

Bike Setup:   Y2K TREK 8000 SLR, TIME ATAC's, Conti Escape/Explorer Pro Kevlars, Bontrager FS+10 race saddle

Submitted by Luv Thang a racer from Fred Vegas, VA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

Holly sh_t, when are these things gonna break?
I weight 205#, my shock setup mostly hard, I've been riding hese things for 3 years now! That's a record for me. This bar has outlasted 2 broken (Klein) frames and one broken Control Tech stem.
As a description I guess I would say I almost never notice them (a good thing).
They flex no more than most of the other bars I've ridden.
Instead of succumbing to he latest riser bar Marketing Coup (whobeezdafooz?), I just got a shorter, higher rise (retro) stem.
3 years and still going, I've gotten more than my $ worth from them.
What more could I want ?

Submitted by Big boy rider a weekend warrior from Breckenridge, CO

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have now owned a Klein for 3 years and I bought the bike with the stratum
handle bar as an option. Two weeks of riding I took a fall and snaped the carbon in half (thats 1200 pounds of tourqe they say it takes to break one of these bars). Anyway I sent it back asap and in no time I recieved a new one at no cost and been riding harder ever since. Overall great bar. Too bad they discontinued the stratum and the 2.3 Deathgrip tires I loved them and now cant find them anywhere... Trek you suck for buying Klein a once great company!!

Submitted by Rob Bennett a cross-country rider from Charleston, SC

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

Super Bars. I've had these for about three years now and they have been great.
So Light but very strong. I bent the bar-end over a year ago and sent it to Klein for a warranty. They promplty replaced it free of charge. Klein if you're reading this bring'em back. For your info, The Bicycle Shoppe in Charleston, SC has a bar in stock for those of you looking for one.

Submitted by charlie a cross-country rider from usa

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

i have the stratum 90's, and i think that they are great. the lack of bar ends bothers me, but it is alright. klein no longer makes them, but if you can pick one up, do it, they are great. take crashes, and doesnt seem to ever give into any pounding that i can give it. one thing, if you are gonna buy it, dont be frieghtened by how light it feels, it is unerving, but it is so damn strong, if it were solid steal, it wouldnt be as strong.

Submitted by Todd a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I put one of the Stratum 185 (the with bar ends model) on my Mantra I built at the beginning of the season and it's been great. I've had a few crashes, nudged the bar end part into a tree or two and it's taken it all and still gives a great ride. Not cheap, but where else are you going to get a bar/bar end that's 190g and will take that kind of abuse.Too bad Klein has seemed to stop making these, they were a great product

Submitted by furrycrew a weekend warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

This should be one of the all time best bars ever made. Super strong as to take a massive pounding from my 110 kg body over the last 1.5 years but it's still the lightest bar/barend combo ever known to man. Why the hell did Klien give up making these babies?? If you see any of the stratum line of bars anywhere, jump in and buy it while there's still a few left....

Submitted by Louie a cross-country rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

The best in the world.. it seems like God made it... just as all the klein bikes, frames... and others as well
I myself have a Klein Attitude.. it is with out a douth the storger bike of any out there. So everbody wake up and buy a Klein.. Just kidding, Later All
MtbLouie@ aol.com

Submitted by Jon a cross-country rider from Boulder, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have the Stratum 90 (the one pictured above without wrap around bar ends) and have been very happy with how light and strong they are. These bars are discontinued and I rather hope that I don't have to talk to Klein about any replacement issues. The one draw back of these bars is that you can't use bar ends, it crushes the carbon weave.

Submitted by Tony a weekend warrior from WPB., Fl.

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

I ride a Klein Attitude with Manitou SX front shock and stratum bars.
The bars have definitely taken some hard hits and came up unscathed,
except for the last one. It was a monster digger and the bar
completely snapped off on the left side about 2 inches off center.
Other than that I have been surprised how strong these bars really are.
I have since contacted Klein and sent the bars to them for inspection
and hopefull replacement, it's been two weeks and I am still waiting.
I will again use the Stratum bars without reservation, expecting that
Klein will stand behind their product.