Easton MonkeyLite® Carbon Fiber Riser Bar Handlebar

4.52/5 (176 Reviews)
Weight : 150 g MSRP : $110.00

• Length: 610 mm (24") / 660 mm (25")
  • Sizes: 8° sweep | 4° upsweep
  • Heights: lo- and mid-rise
  • Color: 0°/90° carbon weave
  • Proprietary Easton Composite TaperWall technology
  • Highest impact strength of any ATB riser bar
  • Reinforced stem and brake lever clamping zones

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by b3rnard a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    Very light-weight composite material. Very sturdy, gives you a really positive steering feel. In my opinion the composite material absorbs most of the vibration, or could a combination of that and the grips itself.

Weaknesses:    In about a month-ish I found a stress fracture on the bar - the part where it tapers, the rise. It started off a few mm long and gradually became about 1/2 long.

Bottom Line:
    It's definitely a very light piece and sturdy HB. Overall I am happy with it, EASTON replaced the defective bar immediately. It has a 10 year warranty, and that gives me some peace of mind in-case it breaks again :)

I am giving it a value of 4 Chilis, for its 10 year warranty. 3 Chilis overall because it broke within a month of use.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   refuse to advertise

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first Carbon/composite handle-bar

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized SJ FSR.

Submitted by Core_Shot from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Strengths:    Kinda light (j/k), strong

Weaknesses:    a wee bit flexy

Bottom Line:
    Damn that thing is light. I'd like something a little stiffer, though. That being the case, I probably should have gotten the 31.8 version, instead of the 25.4. Can't blame the bar for that!

Purchased At:   Shop Employee Purchase

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Deus, stock bar

Bike Setup:   Stumpy, full XT, easton and thomson

Submitted by Stefan Aichele a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, ON, CANADA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Strengths:    Strong design, cool look, light!

Bottom Line:
    Can't beat Easton!

Favorite Trail:   Frankenstein

Purchased At:   web cyclery

Similar Products Used:   The flight bar

Bike Setup:   Norco full suspension with Bomber MCR1, Race Face crank and XTR drive train, Tune custom wheels with Hutchinson tires.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Petaluma, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Strengths:    nice, light, sexy lookin.

Weaknesses:    I heard rumors of them breaking, but it would seem you would have to be really using these bars for DH or serious freeriding and land bad to break em. I use em right so I would say none.

Bottom Line:
    Be good to them and they be great to you.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   FSA DH200

Bike Setup:   '04 Marin Attack Trail, '07 Vanilla RLC, '04 Float RL, Hayes HFX9's, xt front Sram x9 Rear.

Submitted by Phill a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Strengths:    Well made,nice length,strong,light weight.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable bend!

Bottom Line:
    My comments pertain to the 06 lo rise 31.8 dia EC70 carbon monkeylite bar.
    As stated in "strengths"most of what I have to say is positive. However (for reasons best known to Easton)on this particular bar(The 31.8) they have changed the upward bend to about double the standard 4 degrees making for a much less comfotable bend.The standard bend for their 1 inch monkeylite is 8 degrees rearward and 4degrees upward bend.
    The most annoying thing I find (apart from less comfort)is that no where on their website do they allude to this fact.Great bar shame about the bend!

Similar Products Used:   About four or five other Easton bars of various rises.

Bike Setup:   Motolite,Hugi/Mavic 717,Thomson,XT/X9.

Submitted by Mike from pa

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff. Nice bend-angle. Light. Perfect width. Very tough, beat the snot out of these pups on the rigid SS. If they can takes hits from a rigid fork, they'll take anything a suspesion fork can throw at it.

Weaknesses:    None. Well, it ain't cheap.

Bottom Line:
    I liked this bar so much I got another for my 2nd SS. At first I didn't like the up sweep-bend. After a few rides I grew to love it. I have a hard time riding another bar. With a fat pair of OURYs these are the ticket for rigid SS riding.

Similar Products Used:   EA70

Bike Setup:   Rigid SS

Submitted by Ralphie a Weekend Warrior from Yakima WA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    light and strong, vibration damping the real deal.

Weaknesses:    was expensive, now cheap. Flexy compared to DH bars, stiffer than most XC bars.

Bottom Line:
    Finally cracked these a few weeks ago. I had converted to a 5"/6" FS singlespeed. I used to have very powerful legs (800+ lb sled was workout wieght), and even though my muscle is nicely marbled now ;p I can still crakn like hell. Basically, I was pushing a 36/15 (yup 15! I was using my 9sp cog) singlespeed uphill. Ended up cracking both sides of the bar at the brake mount, underneath the bar. Otherwise, awesome bar. I believe this bar should be changed every 2-3 years, like most bars. I liked the fact that it cracked without snapping, I have seen aluminum bars snap along grain failure weak spots in the metal. Jagged metal to thoat= bad idea. 5 Chilis for an excellent product. (5 for value since you can buy them dirt cheap now)

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   alu and steel bars

Bike Setup:   Titus Supermoto, FOX, Thompson

Submitted by Basil Chua a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight and balanced weighted feel.

Bottom Line:
    Myth: It reduces trail vibrations and makes your XC ride enjoyable.
    Fact: True.

Myth: The balanced feel offers you improved control.

Myth: It's pricey.

Similar Products Used:   Alu stock bars

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Team

Submitted by Jeffs888 a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2006

Strengths:    vibration dampening properties, light weight

Weaknesses:    I wish there was an option for a slightly narrower version

Bottom Line:
    These have been a great upgrade. Wasn't sure how much vibration and impact reduction I would really feel on a ride... but WOW, these things work. Your hands are always in contact with the handlebars and I found with my stock handlebar my shoulders and back were taking quite a beating. Reading the reviews it seemed that the jury was still out on exactly how much this handlebar would help... but boy have I felt the difference.

Makes my riding a whole lot less painful and a whole lot more fun. Have had no issue with swapping out grips or bar ends (Cane Creek locking and Ergo Control II), but I've let my LBS do those installs to make sure the tension is just right.

All in all these handlebars are fantastic and I would definitely recomned them.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper '05

Submitted by Fred Sled a Weekend Warrior from Spawn Ranch, CA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    Super light, stiff, cool factor

Bottom Line:
    This bar right out of the box is just cool, the look and feel of it. Then when you mount it up and ride, the stiffness and control are perfection. The fact that they look bad ass clamped in a polished stem, doesn't hurt either. I have these on both of my bikes. The retail price on these is kind of extreme.

Favorite Trail:   Your Mom

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Typical aluminum bars, riser and flat

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, XC/Trail setup

Submitted by Some_Dude a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa CA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2005

Strengths:    Light
    Strong
    Flexes enough on little stuff

Bottom Line:
    Great bar. This thing has taken a few crashes into trees at 15+ MPH and keeps on ticking. It is a great bar.

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Titec Hellbent

Bike Setup:   2003 SC bullit, Pike Team Air, Hayes 8", XTR, 5th Ele, Race Face Northshore

Submitted by Peter from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, durabilty

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
    Bought these 4/22/99 and they have been a set and forget part ever since. I'm over 200lbs. and ride fairly aggro. These have survived 3 cracked frames (not the Bullit), North Star, Moab, Durango ect. and more crashes than I can recall. I'm replaceing these 24s w some 26s :)

Similar Products Used:   aluminum

Bike Setup:   Bullit

Submitted by Tony Grace a Cross Country Rider from Perth, WA,Australia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2005

Strengths:    Strong and light, some give to take some shock out when needed . Looks good on the bike.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the bars as a combo with the Easton MG60 stem for US$55 a really good deal. When I got them I was worried about the strength of them and all that + the possible corrosion problems with MG60. I also weigh 100kgs or 220lbs.
    After reading all the comments I did not make one scratch on the bars fitting them and I have punished these bars over all sorts of XC terrain and some drops I never saw coming. They have been great highly recommend them.I run profiles bar ends on them and these have saved my hands and taken some knocks with no ill effects on the bars.

Favorite Trail:   Goat Track

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Other Easton, Titec & Giant

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS 3 frame, Easton bars, stem & post, SRAM Rockets with XT Derailuers, MAG+, 04 Zoke Marathon SL 120's & CC Headset.

Submitted by Clay a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Strengths:    Unbelievably light handlebar. Perfect width and rise. It hasn't broken.

Weaknesses:    It cost alot of money even on sale. Shows scratch marks pretty easy.

Bottom Line:
    As the weight on my bike rose due to adding disc brakes and tubeless tires I swapped the OEM bar with the EC70 riser to see if I could lighten it up a little. The bar itself is very light but the part is so small I really couldn't see any difference. I like the bar more than the alum. because of the lack of flex. The LBS said that the EC90 was quite a bit wider and the rise was greater so I went with the EC70. I got a huge scratch on it trying to mount handlebar lights but it has survived some hits to trees and crashes. I recommend the bars. They just feel a little different under your hands.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Titec Alum riser bar.

Bike Setup:   Haro werx

Submitted by Clem Hobbs a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    cracks easily

Bottom Line:
    Nice lightweight bar with perfect sweep and feel to it, holds up well to crashes. For strictly, and I mean NO drops, xc type riding I would recommend it.

Unfortunately I've cracked two of them using different stems (two & four bolt designs). I received my second bar after getting the first replaced under warranty. Fast & efficient customer service. I've also seen other people experience the same problem, look up a thread in the Turner forum quite a while ago, includes pics.

Both bars started showing cracks along the top of the bar, to the inside of the first upsweep. At the time I was doing some drops & jumps but nothing more than 3-4ft or so. Rather than have the bar fail, the cracks spooked me enough to bail on it and I replaced it with an Easton aluminumn bar as I like the feel of their design.

If you're into any form of riding that involves drops or jumps I'd pass on these bars.