Easton Monkey Lite Handlebar

4.25/5 (48 Reviews)
Weight : 150 g MSRP : $109.99

• Length: 610 mm (24") / 660 mm (25")
  • Sizes: 8° sweep | 4° upsweep
  • Heights: lo- and mid-rise
  • Color: 0°/90° carbon weave
  • Proprietary Easton Composite TaperWall technology
  • Highest impact strength of any ATB riser bar
  • Reinforced stem and brake lever clamping zones

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by maxmvc a Cross Country Rider from Tahoe

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    light, stiff, vibration dampening.

Weaknesses:    cracking finish

Bottom Line:
    This handlebar allows you to go on much longer rides because you are less physically tired. If you like to go on long mountain bike rides with out feeling beat-up at the end, get this bar. Vibration dampening cannot be overstated enough

Favorite Trail:   Greenhorn trail

Purchased At:   Olympic Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA70 Monkeybar, Kona DH

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2007

Strengths:    Looks cool, Light, super stiff with little flex. Absorbs road shock very nicely

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Not sure what the others are complaining about, with breaking and such. Bad batch I guess.

The fact is this, I weigh 225 lbs and this bar has been through hell and high tide the past 3 yrs with me on them, and still look as new as the day got them. Also I ride mostly XC, some down hill stuff.

Purchased At:   Bike show

Submitted by James Rai a Cross Country Rider from Bristol/Peterborough U.K.

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Weight-I should I say the lack of it!

Afetersales by Easton is very good.

Light Xc use only.

Weaknesses:    Maybe it was me and most mountain bike magazines who managed to get hold of a dodgy bar-tons of stress fractures and finish was aweful.

I guess if you managed to get a good one then you'd obviously give this 5/5.

I think quality control and shops etc should check before sending out.

Also magazines have stated for lightness you have sacrifriced strength.

Stick to xc with these and you're fine.

Its up to you and what riding you do. Light xc and you won't look back and anything heavier-stay away which I guess what these are not for anyway!

Bottom Line:
    Use these for light xc and you'll be and impressed.

Use it for anything else and it'll snap but you shouldn't be jumping with these.

For 30g more and cheaper I'd shop around if you ride hard.

Similar to Sid V's Reba arguement.

We'll see how the race face Next does...

Favorite Trail:   Brsitol-hey its round the corner

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Race Face 'Next'xc 1" rise is on my shopping list today, it is 30g heavier but for that I get a quality finish and strength to go heavy xc/singletrack. It cheaper too.

Bike Setup:   Rebuilt 6061 U.S Gt Zaskar, xt/xtr and other bling bits.

Submitted by muzza a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, Busharagua

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    damping really truly works

Weaknesses:    price on these things keeps going north, or so Nigel at the boutique fibbed to me. He has a certain disdain for the intelligence of straight people.

Bottom Line:
    Could it be most of the people who broke their Monkey Lites also sawed off an inch on each end? Reason to buy these bars is flex. Cut an inch off each end, and you stiffen up what's left. Size matters.

Favorite Trail:   Classified Means and Methods

Purchased At:   girlie men in lycra road bike boutique

Similar Products Used:   factory alums

Bike Setup:   06 Santa Cruz Superlight D, mostly stock. Threw a Thudbuster on it two weeks ago, just to experiment. Can't convince myself to take it off yet. I'm sure I'll see the stupidity of this idea, someday.Maybe.

Submitted by Billy Livesay a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Beach

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    Nice and Light. Should be used stricly for touring and no aggressive uses.

Weaknesses:    Snapped after 4 months of riding pulling a wheelie to go UP a rock?!?! I weigh 165 lb's so it wasn't as if there was excess stress on those babies.

Bottom Line:
    I was happy that it didn't happen going down something! After reading another guy's review of snapping a couple sets of monkey lites, I'm bummed hearing about the customer service Easton provides on its warranty. Looks like aluminum is up next...

Favorite Trail:   Laguna

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   salsa bars

Bike Setup:   5spot, talas, wtb wheels, sram/xtr

Submitted by Matt Sullivan a Cross Country Rider from Oskaloosa, Ks USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    Looks PIMP, nice feel

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
    I was kinda upset at first, I wanted the race face bars but they were outa stock so I decided to go with the Eastons .. now that I've been riding with them I'm very pleased ... they look good ... feel good ... must be good

Favorite Trail:   Perry Lake Trail

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   stock junk

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse, Fox Vanilla fork, lots o extra's .. .. savin up for a Heckler

Submitted by Jose Fernando Vazquez-Perez from San Juan, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2006

Strengths:    Probably the lightest mountain bike handlebar available.

Weaknesses:    The product itself seems rather well built, until you use it as intended for a while... This bar is constructed for light XC only, and WILL FAIL at when stressed. I've had two of them, and both have suffered sudden deaths which fortunately haven't caused me any major injury. I guess I ride on the "All Moutain" side of MTBing which means I do some aggressive riding every other time. Yet I haven't had any major falls or accidents. The bars have fallen apart from regular use, in both cases around the 6-month-old mark. And don't even think of redeeming that "lifetime warranty" offered by Easton. You'll first have to find a soul to get back to you, after getting the run-around from Easton. This jerky will ask you for pictures which he'll "evaluate" for a couple of weeks, and later use them to dismiss your claim by telling you that it's all somehow you fault. Too much tightening of the handlebar, or the brake levers, or shifters, or some other thing, which of course, was not the case, as I saw my mechanic use a torque-limited key when tightening the parts to the handlebar. Listen, I understand perfectly that MTBing is a sport that's hard on the equipent, but I take the manufacturers at their word. When they say "lifetime warranty" it should mean exactly that, and their customer service should be handled as if they really want your business, not as if they already made their profit... Which means that their o-called warranty is a marketing ploy, rather than a serious offer. Compare that to Cane Creek who takes care of their customers. I guess I won't be riding on a third bar from Easton.

Bottom Line:
    If you love your teeth, and care for your crotch get a titanium or an aluminum handlebar that won't achieve sudden catastrophic failure.

Favorite Trail:   Parque Monagas, Bayamon

Purchased At:   Cyclomundo Torrimar

Similar Products Used:   Many other models from Titec, Answer, Race Face, Azonic, etc.

Bike Setup:   2005 Ellsworth Moment, Fox Talas, Cane Creek Zonos wheels, XTR transmission and components...

Submitted by Adam a Racer from North Tustin, CA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, lite, comfortable, good looking

Bottom Line:
    These work great, at first I was hesitant to get carbon bars afraid they would break. Well I weigh 205 pounds and they haven't broke yet. I have put them through some good punishment, too. I thought they were a little to wide when I put them on too, but cut off about an inch off both ends. I wouldn't hesitate on buying these.

Similar Products Used:   first carbon bars

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by Chaz a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, looks cool, dampens vibrations

Weaknesses:    Bar is coated by a plastic 'skin' that wears off whenever grips/stems are changed, or a crash. Looks like a bad case of peeling skin after a sunburn. Decals have almost worn off.

Bottom Line:
    A great bar for the price. No qualms about durability. The bar in stock form is MUCH too wide for XC riding. I took an inch off both ends of the bar and now it's perfect. The bike steers and climbs better, and I don't have to worry about the front tire wandering all over the place. Other than the cheap cosmetics, this thing is great.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   Kamikaze Collingwood

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Answer Hyperlite

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Stumpjumper stock except for: Monkey Lite XC bars, EC70 carbon post, XT cassette, Race Face Deus cranks, Mavic Cross Max XL wheels. 25.6 lbs.

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Grande Cache, AB

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight
    Supple
    Well finished

Weaknesses:    Not enough rise
    Too wide

Bottom Line:
    As a climbing junkie, all my XC bikes have flat bars & bar ends. My freeride bike has a big, fat Funn riser on it, and it definitely helps screaming down the steeps. I wanted to try a riser on my Ventana trail bike to see if it would help the same way, without killing my climbing position.

Well, everything is a trade off. The Easton is a beautiful bar, and it actually saves a noticeable amount of weigh over the flat bar/ends set up. Downhill control was improved, but not as much as I'd hoped because of the low (3/4 inch) rise. Climbing performance was reduced, as expected. The carbon fiber dampens a lot of the shock on rough trails compared to the old bar, a very good reason to pay the extra money over the aluminum version (for XC use, anyway). At 26" wide, this bar is about an inch too wide for XC, but I wasn't going to take a chance cutting a measly half-inch off each side, either.

Conclusion? If you're converting from flat to riser, don't compromise - commit and get a bar with at least 1" of rise to take full advantage of the benefits. You won't save your climbing geometry by going to a low rise. Unless it's for DH/freeride, seriously consider carbon firber. At the price I paid for this bar from Nashbar, I have no basis for complaint.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Ventana Pantera, Marzocchi Marathon S 120mm

Submitted by Fred a Weekend Warrior from Cumming, Ga

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2005

Strengths:    Light, strong, damping quality

Weaknesses:    ????????????

Bottom Line:
    these bars are super strong!!! I twisted a race face system yes twisted aprox 12 to 15 deg. the bars cracked at the stem interface but they did not break.
    oh did I fail to mention that I weigh 270# .these bars are strong. Buy them You wont be sorry. the bars are being returned to easton for replacement.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   98'K2 5000 LT, minute 1, raceface stem&cranks, hayes, sram rocket shifters,

Submitted by cory from Phoenix, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2005

Strengths:    Super stif, super strong, looks really nice

Weaknesses:    price, but i got mine free when i built up my bike

Bottom Line:
    Buy this if you want all around performance. i do dj's, freeride, dh, xc, and urban all on these bars and they absolutely ROCK.

Favorite Trail:   National

Bike Setup:   Heckler, 5th air, vanilla 125, xtr stuff

Submitted by Local Guy a Cross Country Rider from Oakland

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    looks sexy and is lightweight

Weaknesses:    that's just it: the weakness of the product is this product's biggest weakness. mine broke within 3 months. easton rep completely dissed me and I'll never buy an easton product again.

Bottom Line:
    I broke a pair of monkey lites within 3 months of installation. Luckily they broke at the bottom of a rocky section of trail right where it flattens out, and incredibly I did not crash and I still have all my teeth. The bar snapped right where the left (front) brake lever was clamped on. I read and followed the instructions that came with the bar when I installed them- even went out and bought a nice craftsman torque wrench for the job. What the instructions do not tell you though is that if you happen to be using shimano levers (mine are XTR pods) then you need to use a dremmel to file down the lips on both sides of the inside of the clamp. If you look closely, you can see that the inside of these clamps are not perfectly parallel to the bar they are supposed to clamp onto- instead they are somewhat concave, so only the edges of the clamp actually touch the bar. not a good thing with carbon, because it focuses the riding stresses on a very small surface area of the bar. over time (again, less than 3 months), it actually scored the bar at the right and left sides of the clamp, and this eventually led to catastrophic failure of the bar.

OK, so the bars broke- no biggie since I didn't get hurt, but it did suck having to ride 10 miles back to the car with only half a bar. Next day I went back to Summit Bikes with the bars, to see about getting them warrantied. The guys at the shop were cool about it and gave me a set of loaner bars. they said they had seen the exact same problem before and so they always file down the edges on shimano clamps. they also said they expected that Easton would take care of it and would be able to set me up with a new set of (non-carbon) bars. A few weeks went by and I finally got a call back from the shop manager, saying that the Easton rep had gotten back to him, and was not going to warranty the bars because they had been "installed incorrectly". I wanted to speak to the rep about it directly, so I got his number and called him up. The guy was actually rude to me on the phone and wasn't willing to so much as give me a discount on another set of bars.

So the bottom line is that I will never buy an Easton product again, and I hope you won't either. The easton rep had an opportunity to keep a customer and he blew it. I recently bought a new blur, which comes spec'ed with a lot of easton stuff, including monkey lites. I had the shop I bought it from replace all the easton stuff when they built it up. I got titec hellbents instead of the monkey lites, and thomson stem and seatpost replaced the stock easton stuff.

After reading some of these reviews, it seems that broken bars are a recurring theme when it comes to monkey lites. It sounds like some of the reviewers were badly injured when their bars failed. Luckily I was not hurt, but I was spooked enough to stay away from carbon in the cockpit. Id be interested to hear some more stories about people's experiences with easton support and sales reps.

Purchased At:   Summit Bikes (Berkeley)