Easton EC70 XC Handlebar

4.45/5 (22 Reviews)
Weight : 125 grams MSRP : $100.00

XC racers have long used flat bars to give them a more aggressive riding position. This position, which requires a low front end, provides more leverage for steep climbs. The Easton EC70 XC Handlebar puts the XC racer in this optimal climbing position while keeping the overall weight lower than a...

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC. Canada

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, strong and dampens harsh vibes.

Weaknesses:    Fear of catastrophic failure. Although this is unlikely as it has been tested as being one of the strongest.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bar because it is so light yet has zero flex.(my syncros cattleprod flexes before the bar!). Despite the lack of flex this bar does dampen harsh road noise while the P2's take the hits.Perfect for zipping through traffic without wide risers.So far very happy.

Similar Products Used:   Ti flat, brahma bull, al risers.

Bike Setup:   92 Rocky mountain team comp set up for street.Rigid.Project 2 tb, syncros cattleprod,1.15" Gatorskins, thumbies.

Submitted by Tweezak a Weekend Warrior from Albany, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Reasonably priced. Smooths out all the little stuff very nicely.

Weaknesses:    No carbon weave bling to show off to your friends :( Lots of decals (poor substitute). Made in China.

Bottom Line:
I commute about 25 miles a day and I like to run high pressure tires for efficiency. My bike is so ridiculously stiff that the marginal road surface gets really annoying. My forks don't flex at all and my hands take all the beating. This bar essentially isolates me from all of the smaller stuff. It is truly a night and day difference. The first day I had it I made a point of running over some truck tire tracks in the asphalt that made a good washboard. I could feel them through my pedals but not though my hands. I will enjoy this every time I ride.

If you are a commuter and you want a flat bar, buy it.

Other people seem to be finding these cheaper but I couldn't. I still feel it's worth the money so I'm giving a 5 for value. Probably not the lightest bar out there (only 30g lighter than my old mid 90s aluminum bar) but I'm not too concerned with weight.

Favorite Trail:   Funnelcake

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Zoom 155g aluminum bar

Bike Setup:   1989 full rigid Fisher AL-1 set up for commuting with 1.5" tires at 80psi.

Submitted by Sancho86 a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2008

Strengths:    light weight, looks sweet, very strong

Bottom Line:
This bar is awesome, cut almost a full pound off the alloy bar I had and is super stiff and seems to ease some trail buzz. Definently a worth while investment for anyone looking to upgrade their bar. This thing can take a pounding and not be fazed in the least, I have the O/S version and it totally changed the ease of poping the front wheel up for obstacles. Very recomended.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   factory bars

Bike Setup:   Cannondale f7

Submitted by scorpions a Weekend Warrior from Taiwan

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    Extra light and affortable for

Weaknesses:    under investigating

Bottom Line:
Good to fit any handbar like Ergon.

Purchased At:   Cowboy bike club

Bike Setup:   Giant 2008 Anthem 1

Submitted by Si1ver a Weekend Warrior from Selangor,Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight,strong ,good look

Weaknesses:    will chipped off if you are not careful when you are cutting it .

Bottom Line:
This is one of the lightest bar around with good strength.

Similar Products Used:   FSA alu

Bike Setup:   XC light weight

Submitted by rob bowers a Racer from mount tamborine

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    strength and lack of weight

Weaknesses:    felt it necesary to machine up some thin (10mm wide at he OD tapering to 3mm wide accross the centre cross section)alloy plugs to go into the bar ends and weighed in at eleven grams for the pair. No hassle there, however, the holes at the ends of the bar are not round and it took longer to fitting them than machining them up.

Bottom Line:
No better flat bar on the planet. Definite vibration damping benefit. Strong as. Light. Did I mention, strong, light and dampens vibes?

Favorite Trail:   nerang state forest

Similar Products Used:   cheaper carbon bars, all sort of alloy and titanium bars

Bike Setup:   khs alite 4000 XTR drivetrain, Am'n classic hubs, Stan's Olympic rims, Fox F100X forx, ATACs, Conti Explorer Supersonics, Serfas ti rail saddle, Stan's alloy discs, 05 Formula B4 SL discs,..

Submitted by Simon a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, A.C.T., Australia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2005

Strengths:    Light and Strong

Weaknesses:    None thus far.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure whether I've actually felt any difference regarding trail vibrations/flex- my Vanillas are very plush and set up for small bump compliance. But this (in my mind) is a good thing i.e. to me they perform the same as alloy bars whilst being a world lighter :) On the cosmetic note- the front end of my bike just looks bling now. For the price I paid, they are definitely great value for money. My overall rating only takes into account the 2 months that I've been using them.

Favorite Trail:   Pitt Street, majura pines ACT

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA50

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 2 (2006 Aust.), Fox Vanilla 125R, Sette Stem and of course these bars!

Submitted by Matt Cooper a Cross Country Rider from Rockford, IL

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2005

Strengths:    cheap, much lighter then my Kore Lite alloy bar, dampens vibration well (I dont notice much oh any on my rigid MAGNESIUM single speed), strength

Weaknesses:    its not a CT2, but hey, it costs half as much, and knowing its heavier lets me trust it more

Bottom Line:
A good bar, Ive allready crashed it hard one on pavement and after a thourough inspection found it to be completely unharmed. Im happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Kokapelli's/Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of alloy bars, even the honeycomb ones

Bike Setup:   Litech magnesium frame, cannondale AL rigid fork, XTR/517 wheels, old XTR crank (replacing asap), Kenda Kozmik Lite 2 tires (my sweeties), eggbeaters, Thompson seatpost, Avocet o2 titanium saddle, XT linear brakes, 17 lbs

Submitted by shiny_car a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2005

Strengths:    light; good build quality; suit bar-ends

Weaknesses:    'matt' finish when some may prefer a gloss finish; full retail would make them expensive

Bottom Line:
these were an upgrade from the OEM EA50 flatbars, 25.4mm bar clamp, 5 degree sweep, 580mm; no huge improvement, but certainly lighter and look pretty good; they accept bar-ends without probs; I bought these 'used', making them decent value, but otherwise would be quite expensive for what they are; I like bars like these at the narrow end of normal length

Purchased At:   ebay + shipping; 'used'

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA50, EC90; Titec C3; Giant CF flat bar

Bike Setup:   Aus-spec Giant XTC2

Submitted by Ivan from C-Springs

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap (can find them everywhere on sale now). Light?

Weaknesses:    Long term durability (of all things carbon)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bar because it was on sale. Is it that much better at absorbing buzz than aluminum? I can't tell. Maybe its light. I didn't check. I am concerned about long term durability so I've been babying the bar. Perhaps that's why I've had absolutely no issues.

Favorite Trail:   7 bridges

Purchased At:   CBO or Jenson

Bike Setup:   Full Rigid

Submitted by Gordon a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Strengths:    Nice graphics
Super Light
Quite Cheap
Strong
Absorbs vibration
Just the right size
Looks Cool
Lifetime warranty.... =)

Weaknesses:    Outer graphics get scratched real easily

Bottom Line:
Wow..what can i say? This is just the best thing that i have ever bought...! Carbon may seem weak.. but not Easton's! Theirs are even stronger than some aluminium bars.. After taking off my SUPER HEAVY kalloy handlebar and switched to this... whenever i go over a small bump, my whole front wheel practically lifts off the ground due to the light weight.. This has NEVER happened before on any of my aluminium bars.. Also, the lifetime warranty has given me alot of confidence in this company.. Be sure that i'll buy a stem and seatpost from Easton really soon.. ! Way to go Easton...! Weeeee-haa! =D

(Apologies for accidental wrong posting in the EC90 review side.) =(

Favorite Trail:   Roads + Off Road

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy aluminiums..

Bike Setup:   Progear 2005(7005 aluminium, full suspension), Shimano Component System(Alivio, Deore, crank, etc), DNM Fireball rear shock, RST T-4 Fork(76 mm travel) , Progear saddle(Velo), Easton EC70 XC Composite bar, Kevlar handgrips(Setlaz), Disc brakes (Promax 3.0)
Lizard Skins chainstay, grunge guard for both derailleurs, headset seal, brake levers. Maxxis larsen TT wheels with HIC double rims. Topeak carbon fenders (rear and front).
Dual front headlights(Powerbeam) and single tail-light(smart). Wellgo LU950 pedals.

Submitted by mark wilson a Cross Country Rider from heidelberg, germany

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2005

Strengths:    ligth, durable, strong, great rise and sweep, quality build, warranty

Weaknesses:    none that I have experienced except possibly crash damage which is true for anything

Bottom Line:
I have had this bar for a long time. It has been on three frames. It out lasted my Ells truth which cracked twice. I have done 3-5 drops and ridden thousands of miles. After years I crashed in the sea of rocks and my left brake lever slid around the bar creating a crease. I may have to replace it. I just love this bar and I will replace it with another one.

Favorite Trail:   rodalben f trail

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   syncros, kore, profile

Bike Setup:   XTR, SRAM, RF Next, FSA, Hugi 240s, Hope minis,blur, easton, mavic, crank bros

Submitted by slam lanz a Cross Country Rider from pittsburgh pa usa

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    looks good, light

Weaknesses:    hey, it's a hollow plastic tube!

Bottom Line:
Not the bar to buy if you like to cut your bar to a shorter length, also not the bar to buy if you like to use bar ends (chances are you will crack the handlebar putting them on). I think it's a waste of money; get an Answer Hyperlite or a Syncros Hardcore (if you can find one) and then forget about your handlebar forever and just ride.