Easton EC70 XC Carbon Riser Handlebar

The Easton EC70 XC carbon bar features proprietary Carbon Nanotube Technology (CNT) for improved shock absorption and responsive ride quality. TaperWall technology distributes stress evenly across the entire length of the bar, enhancing strength and durability while decreasing weight.

Submitted by thomllama a Weekend Warrior from Old Lyme, CT USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2012

Strengths:    Super Strong, Surprisingly so! Nice Vibration damping. Lighter than Alum Bars

Weaknesses:    none really, have to be careful cutting anything Carbon

Bottom Line:
I only got these as they were on sale for like $45 a few yrs back. Was actually kinda scared of them at first as I'm a slow-ish rider and I do a LOT of nose drops and hit actually harder on the front end because I'm slow and let's say "less smooth" ;) anyway they have taken a major beating and have worked unbelievably well. I thought the vibration dampening was all just a big scam but it really isn't and is highly noticeable with these bars over alum ones. About the only bad thing I can think of is that cutting them down can be a pain, as just when you're about through the end will drop and you'll get a little nick in the finish than can actually make cracking easier (or so I've heard) I just stuffed a large dowel wrapped in paper towel inside before cutting and it supports the piece so it doesn't just snap/fall off... worked great!

I've had MANY crashes since getting them, and even slid down a small cliff with the bars wacking off rocks and they are still sweet and free of cracks, Yes I always check them regularly and after any major acct.

I don't know if they are worth over a $100 for the weekender type riders, but if you can find these like I did for under $50... do it!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Neck or Rocky Point, depending on where I am