Easton EC70 Monkeylite XC Riser Handlebar Handlebar

Submitted by Ecogeek a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Light. Not too expensive. Seem strong enough for fairly serious XC trails.

Weaknesses:    Slightly scary torquing stuff onto the bars. Still worried about breaking them. Finish not as smooth or even as I'd expect - esp as Easton say that if there is ANY issue with finish the bars should be thrown out!

Bottom Line:
Light. Seem up to the job. I weigh 180lbs and ride pretty fast (hit 65kmh on last ride) down some rough mountain trails. Bars seem fine. Hi-rise model is nice for me with 185mm steerer. Work fine w bar-ends - although bar is a little flexible if you haul on your bar-ends like I sometimes do. Def make sure you use a four-bolt face-plate stem.
Bottom line. They'll save you some weight at a reasonable price and are up to the job. If you're an XC rider and have already reduced weight in the most cost effective and/or major areas, carbon bars are are a logical next step and the Easton Monkeylite XC riser bar is a good way to in terms of performance/value.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Easton, Sette, Marin alloy bars.

Bike Setup:   Deus stem, Ergo grips & bar-ends with these bars.

Submitted by Keith Q a Cross Country Rider from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, durable

Bottom Line:
These handlebars rock! Very light and far more durable than I expected - what more can you ask from a handlebar? I got the low rise (0.75") version. Out of the box, they were a bit too long for me, so I cut about an inch off each end (warning - be sure to use a mask to avoid breathing in the carbon shavings). When I first installed them, they felt so light that I feared they wouldn't survive for long, but I've crashed pretty hard numerous times with these bars, and they still look basically as good as new.

I'm giving it 5 chilis for Value based on what I paid for them. At full price, I'd give them 4 chilis for value.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Crabtree

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   various aluminum bars

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Trance frame, custom build

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from North Branch

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, sweet shape, light, and looks cool. These are the bars with the CNT technology.

Weaknesses:    Expensive but worth it.

Bottom Line:
These are the new ones with the CNT technology. You don't see the carbon weave visually like on the older eastons. They are stiff and light. I don't know why I F' around with other bars that are cheaper. These are the best I have ever used and even thought they are pricey I feel like they are the best and like my king headset, Thomson stem and seatpost, XTR cranks, and SDG seat I don't even think about replacing them like I did when I had the Race Face deuche bars.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Deuche, Older Easton monkeylites which weren't as stiff as this.

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel, with all the good stuff.

Submitted by Big Daddy Five O a Weekend Warrior from Miramar, Florida

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2006

Strengths:    So far, so good. I love the feel of the bar around corners. My 2006 OS bar looks great and provides strength on those crazy falls. Legth is longer than usual but no trees or branches hit yet.

Bottom Line:
Great bar so far. Lives up to its name. I like to say, Easton is to handlebars as Thomson is to stems/posts as Chris King is to headsets. You'll never buy anything else.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   BlueSky Cycling.com

Similar Products Used:   2006 Race Face Dues 25.4 low riser and the 2006 Profile Design OS Carbon low riser.

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant Trance I with mainly Race Face Dues cranks/BB, Thomson Stem & Post, Mavic Crossmax SL's, Kenda Nevegal's , Fox F100RL & RP3 shocks, WTB Rocket V Stealth saddle, Chris King headset, and Easton bar. All 2006.