Easton EA70 Wide XC Handlebar

As 29ers have evolved and gained mainstream acceptance, we've witnessed riders drift from flat bars sporting ubiquitous barends to trendy moto-esque riser bars. However, after thousands of miles and countless forum flame wars, flat bars are now becoming the bars of choice for 29ers. And, Easton's...

Submitted by blackhammer a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Wide bars with a decent sweep makes for great leverage on climbs and controlling the front wheel at speed. The flat bar keeps the front end low on your 29er.

Weaknesses:    None found yet. The wide bars do give some pause when going through tight single track, but it's worth it for the added climbing and control.

Bottom Line:
After all kinds of problems with not being able to keep my front wheel weighted on my 29er,and the front feeling unstable, I took a long look at my position on the bike and realized I needed to lower the handlebars. These fit the bill. They have made a huge difference in my riding. I can power up short, steep climbs that I used to only make with a lot of momentum. I have a lot more confidence switching lines and riding technical features. If you're on a 29er, get them. The only reason I'm not giving them 5 chilis is because I've only been riding them one season.

Favorite Trail:   Franke Park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Flat bars-none. I've used several different riser bars that really weren't meant for a 29" wheel.

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey w/ good wheels, a good fork, and whatever else I could scrounge together.

Submitted by MSHMTB a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    Flatbar(great for 29ers). Wider than 580mm, rare for a flatbar. Alu, not Carbon, don't have to worry about torque and cracks, or any of that.

Weaknesses:    Heavy at 250 grams, might be a tad bit too wide at 685mm, might cut it down

Bottom Line:
Thanks Easton for making a flatbar for the elite(29er) crew.

Favorite Trail:   Don't have one

Purchased At:   Newbury Park Bike Sh

Similar Products Used:   Shimano OS-20 riser carbon comp, Raceface NEXT Carbon riser.

Bike Setup:   GF Cobia 29er HT. Tora Air, Stylo GXP/X9, Bonty Wheels. Elixir Brakes