Easton EA50 Flat Handlebar

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

The EA50 XC offersThe same impressive strength and performance asThe EA70, but at a more affordable price. With Easton's durable EA50 aluminum, 5-degrees of sweep and a sleek, anodized black finish,This handlebar is fit for any XC bike.3 Bar Weight: 175gDegree Bend: 5 degree or 9 degree options Bar Width: 580mm, 685mm Clamp Diameter: 31.8 Material: EASTON EA50 ALUMINUM Rise: None

Submitted by shiny_car a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2005

Strengths:    strong, quite light

Weaknesses:    quite boring looking but otherwise nothing

Bottom Line:
the EA50 flatbar came standard on my Giant HT; very decent, if not plain looking and nothing exceptional; seem strong and light enough; I prefer something more exotic so have changed to carbon fibre!

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Easton EC70 flat bar, EC90 riser; Titec C3 riser; Giant carbon flatbar

Bike Setup:   Aus-spec '05 Giant XTC2; Specialized HT

Submitted by dennis calapit a Cross Country Rider from batangas city, ph

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    light and strong

Weaknesses:    i havent had any experience of bending it.

Bottom Line:
its a good bar, i dunno why others still want to upgrade from it. weight is not that noticeable.

Purchased At:   manila

Similar Products Used:   kore riser bar

Bike Setup:   cross-country/trail bike:gt frame/american classic hubs with mavic 223 rims , shimano lx drivetrain (splined bb & '03 Cranks)except shifters coz' its a sram, xtr levers, avid discs, bontrager jones 2.1 tires,

Submitted by Chris B a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    Simple, not too heavy, doesnt appear to flex, pretty graphics, price.

Weaknesses:    Not carbon, which would make it lighter. Did not come with bar plugs!

Bottom Line:
My bike came with riser bars, but I think riser bars are silly. I upgraded to these after a year, and they look great, feel fine and don't weigh too much.

The one complaint is that they didnt come with plastic bungs to fill the end of the tubes. My old bars did, but they wouldnt fit my new ones.

If they'd had the bungs they would have got a perfect score.

Favorite Trail:   Last ten kilometers of Queen Charolette Track, New Zealand

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Kore riser bars, Wheeler flat bars.

Bike Setup:   Alloy hardtail with a mix of mavic, xt and deore parts.

Submitted by Ren Desa a Weekend Warrior from Pyeongtaek City, Korea

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    Light, functional, good looking.

Weaknesses:    It may be the new grips I installed with the bar, but since I started riding with this bar my hands have been getting numb on the outer fingers. I have ordered some dual density grips and I hope that will remedy it.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bar for the price, I believe curved bars are underrated: if you need your bar higher, get a higher stem. The flat bar gives me more room on the bar for the lights, computer, shifters and brake levers while being narrow enough for city commuting (10 miles each way here). The bare dull aluminum look is cool too, looks great on an otherwise all red and black bike. The brake levers (both Shimano and Formula) are aluminum colored too so they all go together quite nicely. I give 5 chillis for value because of the price from Ebay, and 5 chillis for overall because of the numbing effect on the hands, even though I cannot say that it is the bar's fault.

Favorite Trail:   Songtan Park Hill

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager curved bar that came with my Bike.

Bike Setup:   2004 Gary Fisher Tarpon; Easton EA50 flat handle bar, 90mm 0 deg stem & seat post; Shimano M510 crank, front and rear derailleurs; Shimano Deore shifters; Shimano Deore 9 speed cassette; Shimano HG chain; Shimano M525 front disc brake; Formula B4 Pro rear disc brake; Mavic MX117 Rims; Shimano Deore hubs; IRC Metro tires for commuting; Bontrager Contact tires for trail riding; Night Hawk light system for night riding; Planet Bike 9.0 computer.

Submitted by jaxx a Racer from South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Strengths:    this bar is super cheap,super cool, super light

Weaknesses:    only prob is the sweep.not enough 4 the angle of my wrists seemd a bit funny but now its fine

Bottom Line:
BUY 2 NOW

Favorite Trail:   the one in the mountains

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   azonic

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 88o full xt xtr

Submitted by Steevo a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    Light, strong, cheap as chips!

Bottom Line:
Fan-bloomin'-tastic. I was looking for a cheap and lightweight bar (I'm trying to save weight wherever possible cos the bike's a bit of a tank) and this failed to disappoint. One of the best purchases I've ever made, and I'll be looking to Easton for my other upgrades in the future. Regardless of whether or not you're on a budget, if you only ever buy one bar in your life, buy this!

Favorite Trail:   Box Hill and environs

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Standard issue Bar

Bike Setup:   Saracen Vice '02, X-Lite trick bits, Shimano Alivio shifters / brakes

Submitted by Steve Ellington, CT, USA a Weekend Warrior from stever@bu.edu

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, light, cheap

Weaknesses:    Can't find any.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a cheap upgrade replacement for my stock steel flat bar that had begun to rust in the center (I was surprised that they lasted 7 years). I found these, and ordered them, and I don't regret it. I got the box, and almost thought it was empty, cause to be honest, these things are featherweight compared to the steel ones, and every bit as strong too, and I think these look better. I dunno if I'd go do huge drops with these, but so far they've taken everything I've given them up to 2' drops without suspension.

Purchased At:   Performance Online

Similar Products Used:   Stock steel flat bar

Bike Setup:   '94 D-Back Topanga, upgraded drivetrain/brakes/handlebars

Submitted by Bradley Keller a Cross Country Rider from Brightwood OR U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    Good quality alloy, shot peened finish.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of.

Bottom Line:
Awesome value, and the quality is there and the price is right. What more could you ask for??

Favorite Trail:   National forest