Dean USA Titanium Riser Handlebar

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 155 grams MSRP : $75.00

Submitted by sage oz a Cross Country Rider from seattle wa

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    so strong, my great-great grandkids will inherit this bar. pretty dang light for a bombproof riserbar. great vibe and feel. somehow adds control for amazing tracking. no wasted energy on climbs. finish is always beautiful, never gets ugly like carbon and alloys will over time. the lost grip that a previous poster had is not shared by me, i use ergon grips with integrated carbon ends and the stay perfectly placed.

Weaknesses:    those cool dean decals don't last so long...i've got the retro red-blue-yellow-green on one side only as the other was looking tattered so i scrapped it. it would be nicer imo to have the logo laser or acid etched. i'd also like just a bit more bend and higher rise, but that's just my personal fitting preference and they can be ordered custom to order

Bottom Line:
these are one of the best upgrades ive ever used. i though my super light s-works carbon risers were stiff strong and comfy until a very small spill folded the barend crushing end of bar. fed up with years of wasted bars, i ponied up for this ti bar(i think mine's a heavyweight 1"riser version) i only wish that i had bought it back in 91', i would still be using it and saved a few hundred $$$ in bent or broken bars. i was surprised at how little it flexes when hammering(the wall thickness is very thick, i feel much more power transfering to the frame. the added control and "feel" was also very surprising, i never realized how much other bars flex and give. these attributes alone more than make up for the ounce or two added over uberlight race bars because of added efficency and durability. if you ride a mountain bike then you want these bars, but you can't have mine cause i'm riding them to the grave:)

Favorite Trail:   duthie

Similar Products Used:   lots of pricey alloy and carbon bars, all obsolete and disposable with less performance in comparison

Bike Setup:   Carver killer b(650b) titanium 19", dt swiss xmc 130x15mm fork, I9 cc wheels,aerozine cranks, hygia elite brakes, spicer ti stem,ergon carbon barend/grips, slk saddle,1x8 speed, action tnt ti cassette,mrp g2 mini chainguide, lots of ti parts and bolts, 22lbs

Submitted by todd from Garner NC

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Strengths:    Titanium

Bottom Line:
Good bar for the money. They actually custom made mine a bit wider than stock to fit me better. Quality was good

Submitted by chris from ct

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Strengths:    ti

Weaknesses:    flex, grips came off in race.

Bottom Line:
im getting new bar asap. i got my whole bike from dean it took 3 months and they cant even get a little simple thing like putting grips on. this may have cost me the win. sorry if i sound alittle pissed but you would be to. where is 0 flamin chili

Purchased At:   deanusa.com

Similar Products Used:   titec, ritchey logic

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, Shock absorption, strong, quality craftsmanship

Bottom Line:
Great bar for the price. I like the amount of shock absorption. Nice an lightweight. Withstood several hard crashes in rock beds. Good company with great support. Nothing to say that's bad.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Peak Race Course

Purchased At:   Twin Sisters Cyclery & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   tomac,icon, answer

Bike Setup:   daVinci Designs FS, Icon, Dean, Ame', Sram, Avid, Cane Creek, IRD, Delta, DT Hugi, daVinci designs, IRC, Inmotion, Action-Tec, Race Face

Submitted by Tarmac a Racer from Auckland, NZ

Date Reviewed: December 19, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight (135grms)
one of the widest flat bars available (24)
Strong
the DEAN logo.....it's so pretty!
Complient ride

Weaknesses:
that pretty logo rubs off too easily...but hey, it's an MTB so who really cares anyway?
Maybe the price.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best things that I've ever bought for my bike.
Of all the bars I've listed this is the only one that hasn't broken.
I've been racing & training on this bar for years now & it's still going strong.
I crashed heavily at Karapoti this year & when I got back on I thought my bar had finally bent. But no, the Dean bar was so strong that it had actually twisted my stem so that the left side of the bar was now about half a foot lower than the right side. By the way, the stem was a Control Tech (Old style with 1 bolt clamp for the bar). How's that for strong?
The only downside is the price, (it's now $109 at Cambria) but eventually it evens out as you don't need to replace your bar every year or so.

Karapoti