Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 Carbon XC Riser Handlebar

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Light weight, modulus, unidirectional carbon riser bar 31.8mm clamp diameter15mm rise5 degree up sweep6 degree back sweep High modulus carbon construction

Submitted by Jayem a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Light. Wide. Bend on low-rise version seems good.

Weaknesses:    Diameter of the end of the bar is not constant thickness. Material much thicker on one side and what looks like paper thick on another, not consistent with both sides either. Looks like poor QC (again).

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for, this can usually be had for just slightly over $100, yet spending a bit more will get you a lot more piece of mind with another brand IMO.

Submitted by davemaas a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, feel good with my set up and feel like they can handle whatever you throw at them. Buy the widest you can and trim if needed.

Weaknesses:    You have to pay the price like all the rest of the good stuff.

Bottom Line:
I have the 740mm wide model and it is great to have the extra leverage coming from a MX background. Use a Cobalt 3 stem and you get a great looking front end that really stand out in a crowd. Since I have a higher than stock front end I used the 15mm rise and run the stem low to keep it easy on climbs. No regrets

Favorite Trail:   Front range Co.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Race Face SL 3/4

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR5C, 150mm Fox fork, CB Colbalt wheels, XO 3x9 drivetrain, Elixar CR, Colbalt 11 seatpost, 24.5 pounds

Submitted by dubdryver a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Weight equal to competition, strong, durable, relatively comfortable.

Weaknesses:    No weakness, but make sure you clamp to spec!

Bottom Line:
I have had these installed on my Salsa Selma for about a year now, and transferred them over to my Lynskey Pro29 SL. Because of the top tube length of both my Selma and my Lynskey for a size small, I went with these bars to utilize an expensive stem that I like and had on-hand. The back sweep isn't as much as a Truvativ or Easton which I am more accustomed to using which actually helped in the end with the bike fit. They have performed non-the-less, and proved to be durable and comfortable.

The dampening quality and flex is on par with Truvativ and Easton EC70 as well so if you see a good deal on them, they are worth considering. These bars actually weighted 181g which was 5g less than the Easton EC70 Low-rise 31.4 that I run on another bike, and only cost $80 at the time when I bought them, so pretty good value as well.

I will touch on the perceived weakness, as it doesn't make sense to post something and not elaborating. I may have over tightened the brake clamps onto the bar and after a year of not even touching the brakes or the bars, when I moved them over to the Lynskey, there was a slight ripple on each side just outside the clamping spot. I have not noticed any effect on the performance, and they get pounded on as my daily rider, and don't appear to be letting up!

Favorite Trail:   Many, I like to travel!

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   Easton EC70 Low-Rise
Truvativ Noir WCS Carbon Low-Rise
Truvativ T20 Low-Rise
Easton MonkeyLite Low-Rise
Various aluminum bars over the years before going to carbon, but I wouldn't compare them to carbon bars especially the newer carbon bars.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
Lynskey Ti post
Rockshox SID XX 29
Roval Control EL 29 wheels
Magura MT8 brakes

Submitted by moemetzger a Cross Country Rider from Silver City, IN USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff..great feel...look awesome...they have a nice rise and sweep.

Weaknesses:    Price...

Bottom Line:
Nice bars and they have the familar Crank Bros. Quality...not sure if they are worth the money, but they make the bike look sweet..I weighed the bars on a mail scale and they weighed excactly 6 ounces..

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake Trails

Purchased At:   amazon.com/Niagra Cy

Similar Products Used:   this is my first set of carbon bars.

Bike Setup:   08 Stumpjumper Comp 29