Bontrager Select OS Handlebar

• Clamp Size: 31.8mm
  • Fabricated from 6061-T6 aluminum

Submitted by Mutantclover a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2008

Strengths:    7 degree bend, 620 mm width. Those are specs you normally get with a riser bar and are almost impossible to find in a flat bar! Plus, its aluminum, and oversize, which means stiff and bombproof. Custom butted means good strength-to-weight ratio. Compared to the bar from Niner and Salsa, which are the only ones I found with similar measurements, this is a third the price of the aluminum version, nevermind the carbon.

Weaknesses:    I use grip shifters and thus the "non-shifting" part of my grip is shorter than ordinary. This makes grip creep an issue on any bar I've ever used. Sanding these helped, but ultimately I got Hope Grip Doctors. This isn't really a weakness of this bar but in an ideal world...

Bottom Line:
Good bar... should last virtually forever. Honestly most products on MTBR should get 2-3 stars for value. That would help products like these, that are a rare great deal, stand out with 5 stars.

Similar Products Used:   A 580 mm bar with 3 degree bend for a month or so on another bike--really wiggly steering and too narrow for my shoulders! That experience taught me what bar geometry is all about.

One of those basic profile design risers on my SS--good bar, but at 650 mm long and not oversize, I'd swear there is significant flex when mashing. Not enough to upgrade stem and bar to oversize though, it just a singlespeed ;) If I were to upgrade though, I'd get one of those nifty easton DH carbon risers... then I'd be steering straight... drool

Bike Setup:   late 90's hardtail frame designed for an 80 mm fork, but using a 100mm Reba, therefore the headtube and fork combo requires a flatbar to give me what would be riser geometry on today's XC bikes. And the angles are not stock of course, but seem just as good.

Submitted by Cj Smith a Downhiller from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2007

Strengths:    Look and feel amazing, Light weight, extremely strong.

Weaknesses:    No such thing

Bottom Line:
Iv'e hit 13 foot gaps and some pretty high drops. I live in Ontario so lots of my landings are hard and flat. These bars will not break. They have never let me down. The feel amazing, they look amazing, there extremely light, and best of all there still alive.

Favorite Trail:   Local Secret

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Hussefelt riser and other random stock bars.

Bike Setup:   Trek Bruiser 1 with 06 Marzocchi Triple Drop Off's, Hayes MX3 Brakes, Mavic 721 rims.

Submitted by matt a Downhiller from ancaster ontario canada

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2006

Strengths:    its strong but SO uncomfterble

Weaknesses:    just everything its sooo short. 24"s like seriously tahts painfull. 27" + is the way to go. NO RISE

Bottom Line:
its really short and umcomfterable. DONT BUY IT.

Bike Setup:   trek bruiser2