Bontrager Race Lite Mtn Handlebar

Weight : 149 grams MSRP : $50.00

• Fabricated from 7075-T6 custom butted aluminum
  • Shot peened surface finish for increased fatigue life
  • Extra wide 600mm width for extra leverage
  • Super sharp full color graphics
  • New 7 degree bend for the ultimate in comfort
  • Exhaustively tested in the field and in the lab and built to last

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tomasz Rusiecki a Cross Country Rider from Wroclaw, POLAND

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    perfect geometry: 600mm width and 7 degree bend - between xc and fr

Weaknesses:    it's not weight 149g, but exactly 170g :(

Bottom Line:
    It's really good product. I'm ridding 12.000 - 15.000 km per year and after two years using of this bar it still look almost like brand new. This bar is stiff and strong. for me this is one of the best bontrager products

Similar Products Used:   there is no products with similar geometry

Bike Setup:   frame: author sector; fork: Judy Race 2000; roox, race face, kore and bontrager:) componenets; mavic 517

Submitted by Max N. a Racer from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    -great ergonomics
    *7degrees backsweep is perfect angle for my wrists
    *Not a riser bar. Those give me numb hands because of the upsweep.
    *600mm wide.
    -Strong: survived through many crashes.
    -Not too pricey

Weaknesses:    -Al bar: I wish they could make the exact same bar out of carbon. More durable, lighter and more comfy.

Bottom Line:
    Great product.
    I have tried many bars before finding it.
    I will buy another one if it breaks.

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse cycles

Similar Products Used:   Titec low rise
    Ritchey pro flat
    Answer hyperlite

Bike Setup:   RacerX with a tem and a saddle

Submitted by Micky a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Strengths:    Nice bend. Great leverage. Durable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    This is the 4th bar on this bike. I've finally found it. The Bontrager has and aggresive riding position with good leverage becouse of the 600mm width. I also like the comfortable 7 degree sweep. Perfect strong handlebar.

Favorite Trail:   Cedro Peak

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Answer ProTaper, Icon 2", Monkey Lite,

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SL - Fox Float/AVA, 317s on CKs with Stan's, Dean post, FSA stem, Avid mech., Fizek Nisene.

Submitted by kevin a Racer from chicago

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, and length provides great levaerage for technical riding, degree angle with race lite stem provides optimal riding position for agressive xc riding, the weight is reasonable.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't weigh 100 grams like EC90.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bar and had enough crashes and trail time on it. I thought about doing a couple of things to it when I first bought the bike: cutting the length or upgrading to an EC90. The weight weenie in me. But, the length gives me some great leverage in technical situations and it's strong and stiff. I think it's worth the 50 gram penalty knowing I won't break this bar. With the race lite stem, I like the ergonomic of it to with the 7 degree bend. I'm keeping it, and the 50 grams in weight, and $120 for the EC90. Extremly happy with this.

Purchased At:   stock on fuel 100

Similar Products Used:   Titec 118 Ti Bar, Kore Lite Bar, generic crap from my early mtb past.

Bike Setup:   fuel 100 stock except ck headset, tire of the day, and egg beaters.

Submitted by Freddie a Cross Country Rider from Harbor City, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Strengths:    600mm length: This is an ideal length for me. I get the extra leverage and control without getting ridiculously wide. Also, the 7 degree bend is very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None. The only thing I can say is that the added sweep back will shorten your reach to the bars slightly, perhaps necessitating a longer stem for some.

Bottom Line:
    A really good set of bars. For 2002, the bars come in a 600mm length which feels just right: Extra leverage without getting ridiculously wide. With a wider bar, I prefer a little more sweep to take some of the pressure off of my wrists and the 7 degree bend is very comfortable. Wide flat bars sans bar ends seem to be the latest trend now, and I've noticed this bar on several of the NORBA pros' bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan/Backbone Loop

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Modified with 620mm length and 5 degree bend. This is the old style bars that came stock on my Fuel.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 98 with Mavic 517/XTR hubs, WTB SST. 98 saddle, Hutchinson Python Airlight tires, Shimano XT cranks and cassette, and 2002 Bontrager Racelite bars. The rest of the bike is stock.