Bontrager Race Lite EA70 Handlebar Handlebar

4.28/5 (18 Reviews)

Bontrager Race Lite EA70 Handlebar

Submitted by Ryan Hughes a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    light weight, easy adjustability

Bottom Line:
I don't know if it was the shock getting bad, or the handlebar, but my fingers and joints started hurting badly during rides. I upgraded to the Easton monkeylite bar and really like the riser feel as well as the damping qualities. No complaints about this bar though. I ride pretty hard and it never slipped or cracked.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim in Moab, UT

Similar Products Used:   Easton Carbon Monkeylite riser bar

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit Race, xt/xtr, mars fork, monkeylite riser bar

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from San Rafael, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    Slight flex smooths out ride of rigid fork on rocky trails.
9 degree bend makes for better hand position.
Shorter than most, the right length for me.

Weaknesses:    Too light for extended abuse. Short length makes for tight fit of Grip Shift and bar ends.

Bottom Line:
I got these bars because of the nine degree bend. I have them set up so the bars bend downwards as well as backwards.

The positions is not hugely different from the old bars, but it is enough to take away some of that "carpal tunnel" feel after a long ride.

The flexy bar, with some help from the Oury grips, really helps smooth out the ride on rocky fireroads and a rigid fork.

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   OEM bar. Topo 140g bar.

Bike Setup:   97 Fisher Tassajara rigid. Icon bar ends, Oury grips and GripShift.

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light & Short (if you like short handlebars)

Weaknesses:    Thin, Breaks easily

Bottom Line:
Good bar for XC cuz its light, but dont hit on anything. I Fell one day, sheared off 1/8 of my bar. Sucked cuz my ride wasnt over yet and my handlebars were too short to have good control. I had to by a new bar and start my ride all over.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain Hochi

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Longboy

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, Frame is only stock piece left :)

Submitted by Avva a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    FLEXY! Short - 560 mm.

Bottom Line:
It's flexy. I fear to climb and jump with that handlebar.

Bike Setup:   custom Scott Team Racing

Submitted by SGT ROCK a Racer from Drumheller, AB

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Keith's stuff stacks up well against everyting else. Factor in the price, and it's the best deal around. My first Race Lite bar is still being used on my '97 TREK, so naturally I put one on my new 2000 GIANT.

Keith won't put his name on crap. Top drawer product.

Similar Products Used:   Control Tech, Titec

Bike Setup:   2000 GIANT ATX

Submitted by paul B a Cross Country Rider from Antioch

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Bontrager Race Light is the best bar for the money.
It's light and strong, I mean STRONG! I have had mine for
3 1/2 years. Just about every ride I'm either getting ejected or laying the bike down or finding a tree. Crashing is what I seem to do best. I put a Carbon bar on my new bike,
Broke it in a week. Bontrager was back on. And is going to stay on.
5x5 Flamin' Chilis Buy this Bar!

Submitted by TREE a Weekend Warrior from Seattle WA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1999

Strengths:
cool looking
strong
light
just everything

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Those bars should be sold for more.
good quality for cheap.

ritchey

trek 7000

Submitted by Jerry a Cross-Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Strengths:
Light
good finish

Bottom Line:
It's a great looking light bar that doesn't scratch everytime you look sideways at it. I'm 6'5 210lbs and I don't notice any flex. SuperGo has these for $15 and for another $15 you can add the Race Lite bar-ends at 110 grams. For the price you can't beat this setup. Nice Stuff!

less than 1 month

Kore lite
Ritchey Force-lite
Specialized Special-Rise

Submitted by Webb Phillips a Cross-Country Rider from Stanford, CA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1999

Strengths:
Strong, Light, Reinforced ends.

Weaknesses:
Not as light as a carbon bar (though perhaps stronger?)

Bottom Line:
This bar is very strong, and about as light as practical for Easton Aluminum 70. I've crashed on it many times, breaking wheels and shiters and causing barends to face the wrong direction, but the bar has lived through it all without a scratch.

1 Year

Bontrager Race

Submitted by Mark a Cross-Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: March 18, 1999

Strengths:
a beautiful bar. Lightweight, strong, very durable. Black finish is extremely tough

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I picked this bar up at a race last fall and have been quite pleased with it since. Undamaged despite numerous encounters with trees, rocks, pavement, me... not a scratch on it. Lightweight, and strong too, I like this product!

6 months

n/a

Klein Pulse Race, XT/XTR, SX-R fork, etc...

Submitted by Fate from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

So far this has been an excellent bar. I'm 190lbs and ride very technical, high torque stuff. I have done several dozen slow speed crahes on this bar and have not noticed any problems. The bar has stood strong for 1.5 years of abuse, and I'm just wondering if/when I should replace it. For the price, if saftey is an issue I'll buy another in a second. This bar has taken a beating, and has not let me down!

Submitted by Chucko a weekend warrior from Silicon Valley, USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Very light, very well made! I went for this bar not for its gram-shaving properties, but for the 9 degree bend. I had to special order it from the LBS, but it was worth it, because the bigger bend fits my hands much better than the standard 5 degree. Seems to hold up reasonably well on my MTB, though I haven't really beaten on it much yet. More info next season...Four chilis, only because I haven't done a real durability test on it yet, and because there ought to be a less expensive way to get a flat bar with more than 5 degrees bend.

Submitted by Bonechewer a racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

It seems like everyone has a gimick these days and half of them don't live up to the hype. After purchasing the Bontrager EA 70 bar locally I was amazed how light it was. (As the review says 140 grams on the button with the berts) The black coating it nearly indestructable and the quality is really top notch. Probably the most cost effective bar I ever purchased considering I picked it up for $30. So far it's seen 300 miles, 2 biffs, and one direct collision with a tree and still looks like new.

Submitted by will mcknight a weekend warrior from toledo, oh

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bar has outlasted any I've ever owned, survived numerous crashes not to mention looking great too. EA-70 is great stuff. I'm big(220) and ride hard and I'd recommend it to anyone hard on a bar! I don't see how you can go wrong with this bar. PS, be sure to use the BERTS, that's where most the damage is inflicted on a handle bar!

Submitted by pak a cross-country rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bar rules. I have the black finish, which has proven to be surprisingly durable & it looks as cool as hell! It came complete with BERTs (which I didn't use since I'm not a great believer in bar-ends), & an amazingly detailed instruction sheet! To be honest, I'm not totally convinced that it's worth the extra coin over the Bontrager Comp or Race Bars, but I was building up my dream bike (Bonty Race Lite) & could afford it, so what the hell?The bar weighed in spot on nominal (140gm) so no complaints from me.