Bontrager Crowbar Race Handlebar

4.38/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 275 grams MSRP : $50.00

• A lightweight riser bar for cross country riding
  • Fabricated from 2014-T6 custom butted aluminum
  • 40mm and 25mm rises 9 or 13 degree bend

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bike junkie a Cross Country Rider from southeastern mass

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Strengths:    good on the back

Weaknesses:    too narrow.

Bottom Line:
    i think it is a comfortable bar with the exception of being too narrow. i had to add in bar ends to give me a little more room. i'm kinda a big guy though, so i can't hold that against the product. seem to be pretty strong, though i haven't had any real diggers yet. can't feel any flex. they came on my bike but i plan to swap them out soon. if they were only a little bit longer, i would love em!

Favorite Trail:   any thing challenging

Submitted by Gaoo from Quebec

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    9 degree bend -fits perfect, not stiff as flat bars, more control

Weaknesses:    paint is not the most durable (just fly over the bar one time and the paint will go a little), maybe you will have to change you housing if they are short, be not a major problem

Bottom Line:
    An other good product from Bontrager, make you feel more confortable while riding (will test in DH this summer), 9 degree is just good. It's dull we can't see the crow-bar writing (under the grips). And it's as light as my old Icon flat bar. Throw your flat bar and get this one!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Similar Products Used:   Icon, Titec

Bike Setup:   '99 Trek 6500 ZX, Psylo SL, XT rear, LX, STX-rc..... Bontrager (crow-bar, stem, seatpost, seat,rims,hubs...), Panaracer XC fire tire 2.1

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Jupiter, FL

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Strengths:    Lighter than the Coda straight bar I replaced. ( degree bend felt natural for my wrists. Excelent ergonomics make this a very comfortable piece. Width is good for bigger guys like me with broad shoulders.

Weaknesses:    My Sachs grip shift system puts the brake levers in a less than optimal place but it is not THAT bad. Should be perfect with a rapid fire setup. I still use bar ends with this setup so not using bar ends would put everything into place.

Bottom Line:
    Comfort and control dude! Makes the Cannondale feel like a motocrosser. The riding position is more neutral and not so far forward as it was with the flat bar. I resisted the riser thing untill I put them on my M80. After a long ride last Saturday, my aching back said to get a set for the Cannondale. Very solid.

Favorite Trail:   Jonathan Dickinson State Park

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I have a good Profile riser on my 2001 Raleigh M80.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 900

Submitted by Ryan S. a Cross Country Rider from Deerfield Bch., FL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Strengths:    low cost, gets people to buy it with false advertisement

Weaknesses:    everything but price, flexs to much when your out the saddle and push down, you can feel it flex downward. . .

Bottom Line:
    Hmmm... -not enough strength!!, and no one else mentioned because their not riding hard, and have to much trouble with the steel flat bars on their LX-level bikes!!!!

-you'll be lured into purchasing it, because of the cheap cost, and a popular name brand "bontrager", putting their name on something designed for financial income, rather than for the consumers.........

-i only give this a 1 cause theres no 1/2, the 1/2 is for the price. . .!

Favorite Trail:   my own! ("backwoods of pompano landfill")

Purchased At:   purchase? how the f-when you test or demo it?

Similar Products Used:   well, a profile bar flexs too!! but a nashbar, well, that just snaps and breaks...

Bike Setup:   my bike or the one i tested/demo'd it on????

Submitted by James Edison a Cross Country Rider from Madison

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, low rise

Weaknesses:    wide, mite have to chop it

Bottom Line:
    these are great...they're a little wide..but thats better than to thin..i like them but im deiberating wheather to go to a flat bar while they have the titec enduros at ..not gonna say..for 9 bucks

Similar Products Used:   flat alloys

Bike Setup:   sugar 3

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Mass

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, no flex and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    A little tight when it comes time to find space to mount a Light

Bottom Line:
    Nice change from flat bar. I am still ajusting to climbing with them.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   All types of flat bars

Bike Setup:   Spec ground control with XT, Bont wheels, Mana's front, Rock in back

Submitted by Edge from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2000

Strengths:    13 degree rake

Weaknesses:    Maybe weight for the weenies

Bottom Line:
    Bought a new Fisher Sugar 3 after year on a rigid. It came with flat bars. I crashed the thing 3 times because I was always over the front wheel. I put this bar on and it was like a new ride. Perfect balance. I now put flat bars in the same catagory as biopace chain ringes. History.

Bontrager knows bars.

Favorite Trail:   Bretton Woods

Similar Products Used:   flat w/bar ends and high neck

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar CC machine

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, California USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, decent light weight, cool looks

Bottom Line:
    These bars came stock on my bike, and at first I was skeptical cause I've been riding flats for years. After a test ride, my initial reaction was that these were comfy and cool looking, but how will it perform on the trail with the steep climbs.

After a year of riding these, I love it. Sure, it was easier to climb steep pitches with my flats and bar ends, but I can climb the same hills, I just have to shift my body weight around a little.

I began mountain biking on a 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper with riser bars and I'm sticking with riser bars now.

Similar Products Used:   Various flat bars, original riser bar on my 84 Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude- Chris King, XTR

Submitted by kevin a Cross-Country Rider from saratoga, ny

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1999

Strengths:
    looks good, feels good

Weaknesses:
    none so far

Bottom Line:
    it gets 5 burning things

6 months

stock alloy bars, scott at-3

Submitted by Whiplash a Cross-Country Rider from Chardon Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Strengths:
    riser bar, price

Weaknesses:
    these bars seem too narrow and the 13degree bend is hard on the wrists causing an unnatural angle.
    Just one dance on the bars and instantly bent and due for replacement

Bottom Line:
    spend the extra $10.00 and go with Titec

still searching

2 Years

Titec hellbent enduro DH bars, going back to Titec well worth the extra doe

Schwinn full suspension S10 with rockshock front and rear

Submitted by Brocko a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1999

Strengths:
    Everything about it!

Weaknesses:
    ABSOLUTELY none!

Bottom Line:
    If you want a riser bar, go get this one! Absolutely! I've used more exspensive risers (Azonic) and this one is better, plus it's alot less money. And, the cross bar being welded will
    last! Bolt on cross bars always seem to create a stress point. BUY THIS!

6 months

Club Roost
    Azonic

Schwinn Factory Full-Suspension

Submitted by KaiTai a Weekend Warrior from ActonVale,Quebec

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
    Had to change to riser bar because of neck and back pain on long rides. I got the Bontrager race bar (50$ CDN), and I will never go back to flat bars. This bar looks good, and it very comfortable. I also got the Bontrager race Aheadstem to go with it. My 98 Kaitai as never been so much fun and good looking.

Bromont Mt. Park

Submitted by papapuppet a Cross-Country Rider from upstate, New York

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
    lightweight for a riser bar, good looking

Weaknesses:
    heavier than my flatbar

Bottom Line:
    I can only compare these to my flatbar and I am totally thrilled with the change. Since I'm not racing comfort is very important to me. These bars are much more comfortable and I feel like they give me more control. It may be the placebo effect but I'll never go back.

prospect mountain

less than 1 month

Only used flatbars to date

Specialized M2 - manitou sx - XT

Submitted by ELF a Cross-Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
    Riser bar, not expensive, not real heavy

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bar! Granted I use to do BMX so I like the bar higher. It is easier on the back and I think easier to lift the front up. I looked at the Monkey bar but could not justify the price difference just for 100 grams less weight (but it sure was nice) This price \ performance means five chilli's.

Submitted by Arthritic Poser a Cross-Country Rider from Deland, Fl

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
    9 degree bend,peened finish,logo is painted on-not etched

Weaknesses:
    it's a riser bar

Bottom Line:
    Due to severe arthritis I have very limited movement of both wrists.I needed both more angle and more rise. With my stock 4 degree flatbar only part of my hands could contact the grips, and I had way too much weight on them. Now both hands are more in contact with the bar, and I don't have too much weight on them. The 9 degree Crowbar race fit me good when I'm posing around the 'hood but they fit great when I'm riding hard offroad ( well as hard as I can isn't really that hard). Now I can ride again!!! K.B. is right, a flat bar with the correct stem is the best solution, but I didn't want to replace both handlebar and quill stem untill I can afford an atom bomb. Anyone with arthritis or limited wrist movement should try this bar and it's 13 degree brother. I believe this is an very good product at a fair price. I award it 5 flamin' roadies!!!!!

Deleon Springs