Azonic Pyramid Double Wall Riser Bar Handlebar

3.83/5 (12 Reviews)

the standard P.D.W. bar features double wall cold forged construction from 2014 Alcoa® super duralumin aluminum combined with the standard sized O.D. center. This bar also features laser etched graphics, textured finish on the ends for better grip adhesion and is a full 28" wide. Patented design. Guaranteed for five years.

Available in Black and Polished in 1.5", 2.0", 2.5"

Submitted by Joni Bigodes a Downhiller from Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    the right length for great balance and precision

Weaknesses:    not much space for shifters/brake levers
cracking sounds after 6 months

Bottom Line:
I was a happy man the day I bought the handlebar. Once I mounted, I realised that the double wall thing was a pain in the ass... I had to remove the shifting indicators on my xt's so I could put the shifters as away as possible from the grips (and it still was the brake levers to mount.) anyway... once the mounting was done, in the trails it showed the confidance I needed. The length was noticed on the steadiness of the bike and provided comfort for my shoulders. I tought the little cockpit space available for shifters and brake levers was a minor setback. until now.. not a year as passed since I bought it and it is cracking like hell. I don't touch my bike 'cause I'm afraid that it will snap and I end up face-planted in the ground. Now I'm saving money for a new handlebar. Any suggestions?

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   club roost

Bike Setup:   ruckus, z3, sram9.0 disk brakes, shimano105 derailleur, roox stuff.. dx pedals.

Submitted by Bobo D. Clown a Cross Country Rider from L.A.

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Strengths:    Decent weight for the strength. It just feels right brother!

Bottom Line:
After extensive review, I decided to give these bars a shot. The sweep on these give your bike super handling. You can literally "flick" the bike where you want to go. The plastic sleeve does limit cutting or putting barends but trust me after trying the full 28" you will see the light and see how all wrong it was before! Those days of barends and cutting down bars are long gone! I use the 1.5 for xc and free ride.

Similar Products Used:   a bunch of lightweight crap that I could have busted my fat ass on.

Bike Setup:   See Bobo's 2002 Dakar review

Submitted by Mark Groot a Downhiller from Montreal, Quebec

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    WIDE and TALL, baby! Stiff like your dead grandmother yet light like the Asian mistress that your wife don't know about yet!

Weaknesses:    They don't make 'em anymore....dangit

Bottom Line:
I don't know what the guys below did to snap their bars. I posted this review to give the product a more balanced rating, because I've ridden mine hard for a year on a 5" travel fork, and I have 100% confidence in this bar. The width (28") and the rise (2.5") make this the ultimate steep trail/dropoff bar. When I switched from my Answer to this bar, I couldn't get over the fact that it is 2" wider and 1.5" taller than my Answer, but yet still noticeably lighter! Crazy! If you can find one, buy it. If you don't want it, sell it to me.

Favorite Trail:   double black diamonds

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Answer Alumilite DH (the one straight off the MX production line), Club Roosts,

Bike Setup:   FSR Bighit & Manitou X-Vert DC, FSR Team DH & Bombshell Marilyn

Submitted by Aaron from UK

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Strengths:    Erm they are really stong in the middle

Weaknesses:    At the ends, you know where you clamp all your controls to, they really art that strong, and theres not enough room for a Hope Sport lever and xtr shifter to work together. and they are way to wide, u need to cut them down but cant because of the stupidly wide 27"s....

Bottom Line:
well these bars are totaly f*****g s**t, i was lucky when i snapped my first pair, i was crankin home from work and the went.. no injurys, but azonic didnt seem to care they just went. The second pair was funny because my boss snapped them when i was workin for halfords, and i got another free pair that i didnt even ride, i sold them to someone who is riskin there life everytime they ride. Azonic please recall all these bars, THERE S**T

Purchased At:   long story....

Similar Products Used:   well this is my 2nd pair! my old Club Roost Sport bars were stronger i think

Bike Setup:   Jump, did have a dh bike but kept breakin forks... and BARS

Submitted by Rodrigo Gonzalez a Downhiller from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, Strong, Wide, 5 years warranty.

Bottom Line:
Excellent Donwhill Bar. Very, very strong and stiff. I think I will never bent or break this handlebar.

Purchased At:   Interbike

Similar Products Used:   Axiom, Profile Racing.

Bike Setup:   DH

Submitted by tony from kingston

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    hmm not much

Weaknesses:    the join

Bottom Line:
as you can see from the review below this is about 6 months on from when i recieved another pair through the warrenty , this pair snapped again , exactly the same place , only this time when i was jumping , was i happy? no i was not
im am recieving another pair through my lbs who are well good about replacing them considering i didnt buy then from them
all i would say is ill give them one more chance and then i give up , i have chaged to double waslls for my jump bike so ill see how those fair
as far as im concerned this 5 year warrenty is pointless , i mean they dont even last a year
although i love to ride them the position is great so i cant say i hate them , only annoyed by the design

Purchased At:   evans kinsgton cheers guys

Similar Products Used:   pyramids , see review below also world force

Bike Setup:   Ms Isle

Submitted by tony from kingston engalnd

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2000

Strengths:    uh i like the colour

Weaknesses:    i am not best pleased these bars snapped on me whilst riding trials
one side just twisted off the plastic insert saved me from certain loss of teeth , i would buy them again although i am not 100% confident riding with them but they are replced free under the 5 year wareenty
also the joint between the central p[art and the end length is dodgy

Bottom Line:
buy them but if you are a hardcore rider like myself be warned , they may snap which will certainly piss you off

Similar Products Used:   worldforce risers hmmmmmm NICE

Bike Setup:   da bomb ms isle and other stuff

Submitted by Wyatt a Weekend Warrior from Souther NM

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    Strong

Weaknesses:    Poor design

Bottom Line:
The large outer wall section extends too far towards the end of the bar. LX integrated shifter/brake levers gear indicators hit the outer bar so you have to position the shifters right next to the grip putting the brake lever in a very bad position (This is why the bar ended up on my 4300 commuter/practice bike.). Even with shifters that don't hit the outer bar you may not be able to slide the brake lever/shifter far enough inward to get a good 2 finger pull position on your brake lever (as is the case with the Acera shifter/levers). If you need to cut the bar down you're really out of luck.

Other than that I feel that there is too much of an upward bend on the bars causing too much wrist pronation unless you severely rotate the bar towards the seat.

If you have a single speed I might consider these bars, otherwise I would pass on the PDW gimmick and get a normal bar.

Favorite Trail:   any where