Azonic CF-1 Handlebar

Weight : 183 grams MSRP : $90.00

The CF-1 attains a new level of performance, even for Azonic. Incorporating a total Carbon Fiber outer body with aluminum inserts for bar ends in the clamp area, this bar weighs in at a mere 183 grams! Made especially for those who are looking for an all around free ride bar, XC racer or those looking for a lighter downhill / DS experience.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from St. Petersburg, FL, U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, absorbs shock well, metal inserts in bar ends, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Wide, lightweight

Bottom Line:
Great bars. They are very solid and stand up to my abuse. I take my bike on a lot of walk/rides with my girlfriend (she walks, I ride), which means a lot of really really slow riding with weight on my bars. Despite my 185 lbs, these bars don't even bend. These things are bombproof.

My only complaint is that the bars are quite wide. This is comfortable when I am cruising on a road, holding onto my bar ends, but can be treacherous on a narrow trail. Also, the light weight of the bars was weird to me at first, as I had always been used to a heavier front end. Not a problem now that I am acclamated.

Favorite Trail:   The street

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel Ti, XT, '06 Rockshox Reba Race, Candy SL's

Submitted by wenisman a Weekend Warrior from sydney

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2007

Strengths:    simply perfect bars!

Bottom Line:
this is a follow up post, these bars are over 2 years old now and still going strong. apart from the king headset this the oldest part on the bike.

these bars have held up to horrendous abuse with no issues, I have even snapped a frame doing some urban assault and these bars are still going strong.

now sitting on their third frame they still look totally bling. i cant think of better bars, i have bought and sold lotsa bars for my other bikes but these babys are keepers!

now sittin on my hardtail i use it to commute to work everyday, and thrashing the UK trails on the weekend. they get used 6-7 days a week, and still no signs of fatigue or damage...

great job azonic!

Similar Products Used:   raceface, eastons, bontys, truativs

Bike Setup:   hard tail, wheels, brakes...

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    They've held up through some incredible abuse for almost three years now!

Weaknesses:    A little bit wide but that's personal preference.

Bottom Line:
I've put over 5,000 miles on these bars, gone over them probably 100 times, slammed them into rocks, trees, dirt, people, etc and they're still going strong! Unbelievable! These bars are now mounted on their third frame and are literally the oldest thing on my bike by years!

If you're looking for carbon bars that are going to last forever and never fail on you, these are the bars for you!

5 torched terds for value because you can't find a better one in the handlebar arena...anywhere and 5 flaming poops for performance because...well...they're still performing long after most people's carbon bars have failed.

Bike Setup:   Spec'd out completely.

Submitted by wenisman a Weekend Warrior from sydney

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2005

Strengths:    looks great, handles alot of abuse

Weaknesses:    slightly wider diameter than normal bars so if you use lockon grips be warned

Bottom Line:
these are some solid bars. I have done down hill courses, super technical single track, commuting to work, and even down the jump park.

the bars absorb the small stuff so my arms dont get as tired now. i have crashed with these bars and bent my brake lever to a right angle with the bar still in tact, super strong for a carbon bar.

because these bars are a little ticker than my previous eastons i had some trouble getting my lock-on grips on, and i have no idea how im gonna get the grips off... but as my only weakness.

5 flamin turds for value as its one of the cheapest full carbon bars on the market
5 turds for performance because after 8 months i still cant fault them

Similar Products Used:   eastons, bontragers

Bike Setup:   c.king headset, hope hubs on mavic hoops, hope m4 anchors, marzocchi dirt jump II front end.

Submitted by MICHAEL LAPKA a Cross Country Rider from BEL AIR, MARYLAND

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2004

Strengths:    WAY COOL LOOKING, VERY LIGHT AND VERY STRONG

Weaknesses:    NONE YET

Bottom Line:
I HAVE THREE OF THESE AND ALL HAVE HELD UP EXTREMELY WELL. THE ONLY BIKES THAT I HAVE NOT USED THEM ON ARE MY X-COUNTRY BIKE (TOO WIDE)AND MY FREE-RIDE BIKE. I LIKED THE FACT THAT THE ENDS ARE RE-ENFORCED, THOUGH I DON'T USE BAR ENDS, THIS WOULD HELP WITH IMPACTS ON THE ENDS. THE FINISH OF THESE ARE FIRST CLASS. THERE IS A NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE WITH LESS ARM FATIGUE OF MY RIDGID COMMUTER BIKE. ONE WORD OF CAUTION HOWEVER, IF YOU PLAN TO USE LOCK-ON GRIPS, PRY THE CLAMPS OPEN A LITTLE WITH A WIDE SCREWDRIVER, OR ELSE YOU WILL SCRATCH THE CLEAR COAT. GREATS HANDLE BARS!

Favorite Trail:   RETURN OF THE JEDI

Purchased At:   BLACK CAT BICYCLES

Similar Products Used:   EASTON MONKEY LITE, FSA CARBON

Bike Setup:   AZONIC SABER TRAIL BIKE, IRON HORSE SINISTER HARDTAIL, DEVINCI SYDNEY COMMUTER BIKE

Submitted by Jason Nault a Cross Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Strengths:    Aluminum inserts in end of bar, solid construction, great looking too

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet! Maybe a little too wide, not really a weakness though.

Bottom Line:
I love these bars, people comment on them all the time. They feel great, have a perfect rise and sweep for me. I can't say that I feel a whole lot of difference with arm or wrist fatigue but they aren't on a rigid bike either. Their finish is beautiful and the graphics tastefull and not over done like other carbon bars out there. My only complaint might be that they are quite wide, I often ponder cutting them down but haven't yet committed to it. For the price, the best carbon bar out there!

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   only aluminum risers, Specialized, etc.

Bike Setup:   '03 Specialized Epic Comp frame,'04 Fox Brain, Fox F80 Fork, Crank Bros Candy SLs, Azonic CF-1 bars, XT Hydraulic discs, ODI lock-ons, Panaracer Fire XCs

Submitted by edouble a Cross Country Rider from LI,ny

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    shape,width,shock absorbing properties

Weaknesses:    potential for catastrophic failure

Bottom Line:
excellent shape,with the ability to absorb some of the small stuff. i feel fresher and can ride with control and less upper body fatigue much longer than before. plus im a wide body so the width has allowed me to breath better. an excellent xc bar.

Favorite Trail:   dupont nat. forest, pisgah,nc

Purchased At:   jenson baby,yeah!

Similar Products Used:   titec hellbent ti

Bike Setup:   19.5in voodoo bizango,marz. z2bam,valiants w/xtr hubs xt/gripshift,stylo team crank,time pedals,vertical pro,s

Submitted by Tim Lujan a Cross Country Rider from Concord, CA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, looks cool, 1.5 inch rise.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This bar is very cool. Unlike Easton, these bars have a high sheen finish which looks great. They also have aluminum inserts in the ends for strength. This allows the use of bar ends and offers extra strenth in a crash. Smash your carbon bar end into a rock without these inserts and say goodbye to them. I cut about 10mm off each end to shorten the lenght a little which also dropped off a total of 10 grams (was 183g now 173g)e-mail me if you want to know the correct way to do this. This left about 10mm of aluminum in each end. The bend feels great and I like the fact that they have a 1.5 inch rise. Most other carbon risers have a lower rise; especially at this weight level.

Because carbon is sensitive to compression, I used a torque wrench to make sure I did not overtighten the stem bolts. I set them at 60in/lbs (from Eastons website). This seems to be just right. Finally, you can't beat the price at $89.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere on Mt. Diablo