Answer ProTaper Carbon Handlebar

4.17/5 (23 Reviews)
Weight : 165 grams/645mm length

Answer Pro Taper XC Carbon Riser Bar: Proprietary, Advanced Carbon Composite (ACC) with damage tolerant lay-up for a maximum strength-to-weight ratio.

Submitted by Jake Monk a Downhiller from Sheffield, England

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    Very very light and no flex or bendyness that I had from my old bars

Weaknesses:    -

Bottom Line:
Bought these off a mate with a stem for £43. A great, light bar withno flex or bend at all. Although, if you want some wide bars, these aren't the best. You do need to be careful not to over-tighten too

Favorite Trail:   Wharncliffe, BMX tracks, Chicksands

Similar Products Used:   Outland D25Four 40mm rise

Bike Setup:   Norco Kompressor 24", Rockshox reba sl

Submitted by soccerdude a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, reduced vibration, looks good.

Weaknesses:    None that I have noticed

Bottom Line:
Being 245 pounds I was worried that I'd break any brand of carbon bars within a week so I went with the cheapest brand I could find. Jenson had a sale on the 31.8 ProTaper bars so I jumped on them. A year later I've crashed lots of time and put the full force of my weight on them and they don't flex and much less move! Even caught a few trees with them an not a single crack or dent. Coupled with Ergon GP-1 grips they reduce vibration to nearly zero. I love these bars!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Bryan

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   06' Haro Shift R3

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong.

Weaknesses:    Not cheap?

Bottom Line:
Reduce vibration/weight as they are supposed to.

If you don't torque the bars to the correct spec
yes you will dent or crack them. Duh.

Similar Products Used:   Easton Monkeybars, Funn bars, etc.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Boca Raton, FL

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Looks great
Light weight

Weaknesses:    Weak at the stem junction

Bottom Line:
I'm too heavy/aggressive for these bars apparently. I coupled this 25.4 mm bar withan FSA XC140 stem. The bars have large depressions in them where the 4-bolt FSA faceplate and the hollow stem come together against the bars. I'm disappointed as the aluminum ProTapers I had were excellent, as those I had on off-road motorcycles previously.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Many aluminum bars; this is my first carbon bar

Bike Setup:   Salsa Caballaro; XT with SRAM Rocket triggers, Juicy 7's, Sun Disc Jockey wheelset, SRAM 991 cassette, SRAM PC 991 chain, Thomsen Elite post, Cane Creek headset, WTB, Specialized tires, Race Face cranks.

Submitted by Vivian a Cross Country Rider from utah

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, this model claimed wieght is 135 grams! For a riser bar very light. Good looks, vibration dampening catches what leftover vibes my talas fork does not. Wide enough and comfy.

Weaknesses:    comming from a alloy bar background, i was shocked at first at the flexyness. The light light bar carbon thickness is very thin. Thus 135 grams!

Bottom Line:
Paired with a 90 gram Ritchey wcs stem its a very light front end. Im not sure on the durabillity of carbon but so far so good.

Favorite Trail:   porc pine rim, moab

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey WCS flat bar, <-- love it at 124 grams, however it was short at 22 inches wide and not comfy. OEM Specialied heavy ars bar, reliable thick wall and works stiff as a bone.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR xc, with the works. Ritchey WCS: stem, grips, rims, spokes, seatpost and seat. XTR f&R mechs, and cassette, hayes hydros, fox fork, canecreek shock, ect ect.

Submitted by Fritz Lehr a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, light, price

Weaknesses:    None so far, except maybe wish they were a tad wider for more control at speed. I think carbon bars have a life span of about 2 years before you are supposed to replace them, but not sure.

Bottom Line:
I have owned a couple of carbon bars and I have had zero failures. I have had this bar for about 2 years now without any problems. I have take my bike off of 3-4 foot drops and I weigh about 200lbs. I don't know if I am lucky or if the reviewers on this product over-tightened their stuff on the bars. I typically run my shifters a little loose so when I crash they can move some rather than break. I know I can't go back to aluminum bars because they transmit every little vibration into your hands and wrist.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Dam

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Carbon, Aluminum and Titanium bars

Bike Setup:   SC Blur, XTR Disc wheels, 4 piston XT disc, XT everything else, Thompson St post, Mavic 317, egg beater candy pedals, Cane Creek Hdset, Easton Mag stem

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    lightweight, flexible enough to soak up vibrations.

Weaknesses:    Flexible enough to soak up small bumps, and energy when you stand & hammer...

Bottom Line:
Waaaay to flexy for me...scary flexy. Even when big-ring sprinting, there is a very noticeable amount of upwards flex, that seems to take the 'snap' out of your acceleration. I only used these for a couple of rides, then moved these bars on over to my single-speed commuter bike (dubbed the "Franken-bike") that only sees pavement. I understand the properties of carbon, in that it can be designed with prescribed amounts of inherent flex, but I don't see how these bars will ever last without catastrophic failure.
I'm giving a decent value rating only because I got these bars on sale...no way would I pay full price for them. I ended up going with the Easton Monkeylite, which costs a bit more, but is a much better bar in my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Plunge

Similar Products Used:   Titec Hellbent XC, Scott Vertigo, Weyless carbon flat, Easton Monkeylite.

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe: XTR, SID, Avid mech discs, blah, blah...
K2 Razorback SL: XT, Fox/Fox, Hayes hyd discs, blah, blah...

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, lightweight, strong for xc

Weaknesses:    not strong enough for large drops, dh, freeride

Bottom Line:
This is a XC bar... read XC not downhill, freeride etc. If you take large drops, don't buy a carbon bar! If you ride xc and want something light, comfortable and looks bling bling, get one!

Purchased At:   greenfishsports.com

Similar Products Used:   titec hellbent

Bike Setup:   xt and xtr, stan's, mavic 717, thomson stem / bar, truvativ stylo team

Submitted by Doug a Downhiller from San Diego, California

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this bar just the other day...mounted it today...and broke it today. What a waste of money. Don't think that you are going to save by not buying easton if it is in fact a carbon fiber bar that you want. Spend the little extra, it will actually save you in the long run.

Submitted by Gregg a Racer from Carson City, NV

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Very light

Weaknesses:    Flexy, defective

Bottom Line:
I went against my better judgement in ordering this product over the Easton Monkeylite. This carbon bar is a bit heavier than the Easton so I thought it would make a great riser bar for racing with a bit more strength for the trails in Tahoe. Well, while 10 miles into the Rim Trail this weekend my bar snapped off at the shifter. Thanks to a buddy with an ultra small tire pump we were able to rig a solution for the ride out. Then I discovered that Answer's warranty is predicated on inspection unlike Easton's lifetime warranty. I got the serious runaround from the Answer tech support - of all the tech support groups from all of the companies from which I've purchased product (e.g., Cane Creek, K2, Marzocchi) I've never run into such poor tech support and commitment to good faith. I'll never purchase another Answer product for that reason alone and I hope others understand that when you pay a premium for a product that you expect premium customer support - I would have received better support from Huffy!

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Titec Hellraiser

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback Team

Submitted by clark lewis a Weekend Warrior from vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    not very stiff, apparently not very strong

Bottom Line:
this bar was transferred from my xc bike onto my new heckler frame. it was in great condition - no scratches. broke off at the shifter on a smooth 4 foot drop to fairly flat landing. would not happen with aluminum. obviously, don't freeride with carbon bars is the lesson here. it was great for xc, but my new raceface al bar is so much stiffer.

Favorite Trail:   north shore

Similar Products Used:   various aluminum bars

Bike Setup:   heckler with all the goods

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from DC area

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Strengths:    Super light

Weaknesses:    Couldn't have said it better, the product is weak.

Bottom Line:
I got lucky - the bar broke off just inside the brake/shifter as I mounted the bike. Could have been devastating if it happened while descending. I wouldn't expect a bar to fail with only 6 months of regular XC and lite FR. It is possible that I mounted the levers too tight, or there was a sharp edge that dug into the bar, who knows. Regardless, do you want a bar that you can't trust? I'll be going back to aluminum.

Purchased At:   123 bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kore lite, Easton Monkey lite, various cheap bars

Bike Setup:   Ventana Pantera, Fox Vanilla RLC, Thomson, XT, Race Face

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from NY, NY USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Strengths:    light, looks cool, strong, reduces vibrations, like the low-rise

Weaknesses:    maybe a tad wide but not enough to bother me...just different.

Bottom Line:
great carbon bar. would definitely buy another. cheaper than easton's, a bit lighter, and works perfectly fine.

Purchased At:   123bikes

Similar Products Used:   straight bars

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper '03, avid mechs, oury grips, marzocchi mx comp w/eta, raceface deus, xtr

Submitted by marcus75 a Weekend Warrior from LA, CALI

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Strengths:    Light enough for a XC race and strong enough for a enduro, epic ride! Soaks up vibrations like a spong! Higher rise than other carbon handlebars. Cool Look!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Bought this 2 weeks ago and only rode 2 epic rides through the local mountains. I wanted the Easton Carbon Monkeylites but the answer have a higher raise. The difference between these and the stocked handlebar I had on my bike is significant. Its strong and comfortable after a long ride. Through rough terrains, soaks up vibrations like a spong making it easy on my hands and arms. I don't even need the bar ends installed because this is soo comfortable (my preference was alway to have bar ends even w/ riser handlebars). This has a slightly longer lenght and has a higher rise than other carbon handlebars, this is the way I like it because its better for control and balance.

So far 5 on value because its slightly cheaper than other well known carbons and 5 for overall rating because I haven't found any problems.

Favorite Trail:   Local Mountains

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Alloy.

Bike Setup:   Specialized enduro pro w/ time z pedals.

Submitted by clark from canada

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    light, stiff, pretty

Bottom Line:
wicked handlebar! stiff, light as a feather, nice and wide, looks awesome. every bit as good as easton, and certainly more unique. if you're looking for a new low riser, this is it.