Answer Carbon 720 AM Handlebar

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

The Pro Taper 720 AM Carbon is a very lightweight, dependable, all-mountain handlebar. It features Carbon ProTaper technology to put added strength in the clamp and rise sections without adding excess weight at the ends of the bar. Available in Rise: ½”,1”, 2”.

Answer ProTaper Carbon 720 AM Handlebar Pro Review

The handlebars are an excellent set of carbon riser bars, that are light, strong, with a wonderful resiliency and feel, and have an optimal width and rise. The ProTaper 720 AM comes in two versions, a 7050 aluminium alloy and the tested carbon model, which is built with a unidirectional 12 outer layer. The ProTaper technology adds material at the clamp and riser for strength and stiffness (the stress areas), and decreases it elsewhere for lightness, and it uses internal and external tapered walls to accomplish those goals. Continue reading →

Submitted by Brian412 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2014

Strengths:    Very strong yet still pretty light. Great price. I love the width and sweep/rise. Just right for me.

Bottom Line:
I got the 1" rise. I have this bar on a 2011 Giant Trance with a 60mm Answer Rove AM stem. Perfect setup for this bike. I couldn't go much wider on the trails that I ride without clipping trees. Weight was 205g for the bar. The bar is very strong and the sweep/rise is just right. Couldn't beat the price for the quality bar that this is.

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Purchased At:   Niagara Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Stock Giant bar

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Trance X3

Submitted by Finksta

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Great looking bars
Light and strong
Perfect shape, just the right amount of backsweep

Weaknesses:    None for me

Bottom Line:
These bars are stiff, light and strong, just the way I like them. They offer much better vibration damping over the aluminium bars I was using. I think they have got the shape of these bars just right, I felt awkward with my other bars with a greater backsweep, but these feel "right". I was a bit unsure of the length, not having used a bar this long before (previous were 680) but with a short stem I feel comfortable, and like I have much better control.

Overall they are a great set of bars, the shape is perfect, they look great, and they perform exactly as a high quality carbon handlebar should. Highly recommended.

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Noir T20

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper fsr expert carbon 29

Submitted by PB Matrix a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2013

Strengths:    Great looking handlebar. The backsweep and upsweep are perfect for me. Has cut marks. Looks like it could handle bar ends, but not recommeded for a riser bar. Thick material build.

Weaknesses:    Super stiff, compared the the previous model of the thinner material Answer ProTaper, so these new style bars have little flex, but are still better for vibration dampning then any alum bar out there. Anyway, I would like to see a bit more flex in them, just a tad...

Bottom Line:
Have had a an 680mm wide ProTaper for 5 years now and loved it, bought the 720mm thinking that with the same back and up sweep that these new bars would be great. Wrong, they are so stiff that my hands go numb after a short time. Switched back to the old bars on the same bike on the same trail and did not have the same problem. Dear Hayes, please add some flex to these bars in the next design. In the meantime, I am going to try out the Thomson Carbon MTB bar with 6 degrees of back sweep and intentional flex designed in...

Favorite Trail:   yes

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   older Protaper, niner bars, easton,

Bike Setup:   SJ FSR Evo 2012

Submitted by jrogs

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    vibration dampening, light strong.

Weaknesses:    Expensive but are comparable to other carbon bars.

Bottom Line:
I have recently got these but have been pleasantly surprised. They are light, strong, and comfortable.

Submitted by Guerdonian

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff as all get out. Great width. Thick and strong, yet surprisingly light. Looks Good.

Weaknesses:    A little Spendy.

Bottom Line:
This bar is rock solid, absorbs damping well, yet I do not feel any major flex or defflection. I put it on a lighter trail bike simply for the durability and "no worries" aspect of its strength, yet it was still as light as several other less burly bars. Cutting the width was a snap with the marked ends. It also looks super sexy.

Similar Products Used:   A bunch of alloy bars.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er

Submitted by bottom feeder a Weekend Warrior from Colchester,CT USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Nice looks, Super light. And really do absorb chatter and make for a more comfortable feel at the grips

Weaknesses:    Unless you race/ride downhill a lot you'll probably want to cut them

Bottom Line:
I was a no-believer of the carbon bar hype. I bought them mostly for the weight savings. (getting old and need every advantage I can get) BUT to my pleasant surprise these bars are wonderful at canceling out the small bar buzz thats created by gravely surfaces. Besides being amazingly light ,they also ( I think) have a very nice apprearance and a great rise/sweep shape thats super comfortable. I havent cut them to width yet but after clipping a few saplings hard enough to knock me on my ass I'm sure I'll be trimming them down at least an inch.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm riding