Home | Reviews | Grip | WTB

WTB Dual Compound Grip

4.59/5 (22 Reviews)
Weight : 83 g/pr MSRP : $9.00

Which is better, hard or soft grips? What will give you the most miles without fatigue or the best grip for tricky moves on the trail? Do you ride with gloves or not? There lies the debate. There are a lot of different handlebar grips on the market, but few better than this staple. The WTB Dual Compound Grip is our go-to grip for our custom bike builds. It is firmly on the soft end of the squish spectrum, with the outer portion being made of a durable, firm gel that offers up a comfy cushion. It has raised diamond shaped knobs set close enough together that it can be used gloved or not with no detriment to the bare handed rider. The WTB logo knobs are a bit thicker in the middle of the grip than at the edges, lending the Dual Compound Grip a slight ergonomic shape that comfortably fits in the palm. The Kraton base layer is sticky enough to resist unwanted twisting once the grip is installed properly. Black/Grey.

Submitted by Potato_boy a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    Grippy when dry, Stay put, low profile

Weaknesses:    Get mad slippery when wet if not wearing gloves, Too harsh for full rigid

Bottom Line:
Great if you always ride with gloves in fairly dry conditions and prefer a smaller profile grip. If that isn't you, look elsewhere

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Similar Products Used:   Oury, other wtbs, trek oem's

Bike Setup:   Currently on my IH warrior ht, tried on the trek rigid 930 but weren't plush enough

Submitted by Nick from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    Comfy. Stays put.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've used these grips now for over 4 years and wouldn't even consider anything else. The shape has a gentle bulge in the centre which provides just enough cushioning for your hands. Also, if used with gripshift it makes a nice transition to the shifter.

Favorite Trail:   Majik Forest

Similar Products Used:   Various Ritchey grips

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Zen, used for marathon racing

Submitted by Alex M a Weekend Warrior from Cary, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    nice and grippy
doesn't slide
works decent in wet weather (I only ride w/ gloves when my hands are cold)

Weaknesses:    Wears down pretty fast. I got these in august, dead by mid november
gets a bit slippery in the rain w/o gloves
dirt likes to stick to it

Bottom Line:
before i mention anything else, remember i don't use gloves.

When i first used these, I was amazed at how grippy and comfy they were. I took them on a 50 mile ride, no pain / numbness at all. They're great in just about every aspect. The only problem i've had is when it rains hard. When i take a wet hand off and put it back on the grip, it gets fairly slippery. These suckers wore out pretty quick too.

Im getting into DH/DS/4x these days anyways, so my next grips will probably be lock ons

Favorite Trail:   Regency, baby!

Similar Products Used:   stock grips on crappy bikes, hoffmann mushroom grips, bontragers, eastern OG grips

Bike Setup:   azonic ds1. (horizontal dropout version :p ) rockshox psylo. Azonic shorty stem. Koski bars, front rim rhyno lite, back singletrack. Both hubs XT
LX crankset

Running 9 in back, 2 + bash up front

Submitted by Nathan Cunningham a Cross Country Rider from Kittanning, PA, United States

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Grips dont slide on handlebars once there on.
Great material and craftsman ship.
Hands are like there glued to these grips, litterally there is no hand slipage at all.

Weaknesses:    None except I had sore hands and about 15 blisters trying to get these bad boys on my bars but, I guess thats what you want(no movement in your grips)

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is im a cross country (mainly) downhill rider that puts in about 60miles a week. Whether its raining, snowing, or sweat is just pouring out everywhere these grips are awesome not one time have I had these grips slide on my handle bars and not one time have I lost my grip on these grips for the price and the way they preform there a awesome deal.

Favorite Trail:   Any 4 wheeler trails

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Wtb Weirwolf grips

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Wing Super 06: FrontFork: RockShox J2, RearShock: KS-291, CrankSet:TruVativ Blaze Power, FrontDeraillure: Shimano Acera, RearDeraillure: SRAM SX-5.0, Rims: WTB Speed Disc, Tires: Kenda Komodo, Brakes: Hayes Sole Hydraulic Disc, Grips: WTB Dual Compound Grips, HandleBar: WTB XTC, Steam: WTB 130mm XTC, Seat: WTB Speed V Sport Saddle, Computer: CatEye MC-100 Wireless computer, Skewers: Salsa, Endbars: Forte Ergo Carbon End Bars, Barplugs: Hope Doctor Bar plugs, BreakLevers: DangerBoy

Submitted by Brad from South Bend, IN

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Long-lasting, worked great in all conditions (with gloves). I'm shopping for my first replacement pair after 8 years and 1000's of miles.

Weaknesses:    Used without gloves, they wear down pretty quick until they become very sticky. Not really a weakness, but something to look out for.

Bottom Line:
I put thousands of miles on my bike with these grips, and they worked perfectly. When my bike shifted to commuter status, I rode it without gloves more and more. The grips quickly disintegrated and got to where they're annoyingly sticky. So don't get these if you don't intend to wear gloves while riding.

Submitted by Julian a Weekend Warrior from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    Perfect Size, not too plush, grippy in dry & in wet (even with soaked gloves), cheap.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with these grips, they were a cheap and excellent improvement on the grips supplied with the bike. I was worried about the wet weather grip factor (as some had commented on), but they worked well for me.

Purchased At:   www.ridebike.hu

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Santa Ana,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good grip, nice feel, durable

Bottom Line:
These grips work great. I have never had a problem with them. I wear gloves with them and in dry or wet weather they work. Comfortable and have had minimal movement on the bars. I am going to buy another pair.

Bike Setup:   Blur,XT components, Xclone disc wheels, Marzocchi forks

Submitted by Justin Rempe a Cross Country Rider from Loganville, GA USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent all weather grip, and very good feel.

Weaknesses:    None as yet

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that for the money, these are the best grips out there. Sure, others are more cushy, and others may look better, but they cost five times or more as much as the WTB Dual Compound Trail grips. When used in conjunction with gloves, there is absolutely no slipping at all under any weather conditions. All grips slip at some point when wet with bare hands, so use common sense in those instances...

Favorite Trail:   The legal kind

Similar Products Used:   Kona Jacksh1t, Oury Lock On

Submitted by Steve from Cali

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Strengths:    Work well in Dry weather.

Weaknesses:    This is a follow –up to a previous review. I liked these grips until they got wet. They DO NOT grip in moist conditions.

Bottom Line:
Short Version:
Damp misty morning, grips felt like they had snot on them. Hand Slipped off at the bottom of a run, Spectacular endo.
Outcome:
3rd degree AC joint Separation, 4 months of down time.

1 yr later, still riding, but still have pain in shoulder and permanently have a protruding bump sticking up out of my shoulder. All because of these slimy Grips.

These grips are fine for dry weather, but I would be extremely cautious with the wet or sweaty palms.

Went back to Oury Grips and feel content.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Strengths:    Great grip pattern.
Comes with plugs.
Stays in place.

Weaknesses:    Some slippage in rain, but I never tried glue, hairspray, etc. when I installed them.

Bottom Line:
They stay in place, they have a comfortable grip pattern, they are the perfect thickness, and they come with plugs. Buy 'em.

Purchased At:   Bike Connection

Similar Products Used:   Serfas, Ame, others

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR, SID

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    Good compound, good feel to the bar, Good gripping surface. Seem well constructed and will last for a long time. I never Have Had Problems with WTB in the past.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have never had problems with grips before just good luck I guess. When I had to cut off my S-Works that I liked alot I was bummed. I wasn't able to get a replacemnt for these grips I don't think Specialized makes em anymore. So I got these fo 10 bucks, I never ever had problems with WTB in the past and I liked the dual compound grip design. These are better that my S-Works. They don't fall aprt like they did when I cut em for barends, Plugs come with em and they perform the one fuction they are suppose to do GRIP!. I like em they don't twist and don't shred either. Try em out, hey it's a grip ya don't like em cut em off. PEACE!

Favorite Trail:   Pandora

Purchased At:   The Bicyle Planet

Similar Products Used:   Pedros, WTB, Specialized, s-ram

Bike Setup:   02 Specilaized StumpJumper FSR

Submitted by Steve from Cali

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2003

Strengths:    They don't slip, twist, tear, slide, rip, or fade.

Weaknesses:    It's just a grip!

Bottom Line:
After using "Oury" grips for a few weeks of Slipping, Twisting, Tearing, Sliding, Ripping and Fading, I decided to try something else. The oury's were more plush(at first), but that's it. I feel in better control with the WTBs, and have noticed less numbness in the hands. Best of all, they do exactly what they’re supposed to do, "Grip".

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Oury

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2003

Strengths:    Soft when new

Weaknesses:    Fairly thin - sometimes this is bad i suppose.
Not comfy when worn

Bottom Line:
This is one of my favorite grips. They work really well for x-country, and are nice and soft when new.
My current pair is worn out and getting thin, and now they are super uncomfortable and make my hand start to get numb after a few hours, but thats to be expected with any worn out grips.

I dont feel they work well for freeride though, because they are a little thin... I like a thicker grip on my freeride bike, but like I said... great for XC.

Similar Products Used:   Serfas, ODI

Submitted by Mike a Racer from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    They are grips, they are comfortable, you don't notice them when you're riding, and they don't twist about.

Bottom Line:
I like these grips. They stay on the bars, I like the dual compound, and I never think about them. My only complaint is that they wear out eventually (I rode my first pair about 5 times per week for over a year and a half). I guess everything wears out eventually. So, it's not really a weakness specific to these WTB grips. They're excelent.