Specialized BG Contour Locking Grip

Specialized's BG Contour Locking Grips are medically designed to prevent discomfort and numbness. Their ergonomic shape offers excellent support, while the soft-density outers provide an outstanding grip and superb comfort. Plus, there are locking clamps to keep the grips in place and the Contours are available in two sizes so you can find the perfect fit for your hands.

Submitted by mbuguy

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2013

Strengths:    Don't slip. Most comfortable grips I've ever used.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Wanted more comfortable grips for my rigid XC bike and these filled the bill. The part that fits the heel of the hand is slightly flexible and provides a comfortable position under all conditions.

Submitted by jkrispies

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    Rubber is just the right amont of tacky-- grips the hand (or glove) without being annoying.
Stays in place thanks to lock mechanism.

Weaknesses:    None so far. The only thing is to be careful that they're adjusted correctly for the angle of YOUR arms/hands when riding. These same grips are on my wife's bike but since they're at her angle rather than mine, when I'm on her bike they're really no different than a standard grip.

Bottom Line:
I've put about 700 miles on the bike with these grips (most rides about 10 miles in length on the dirt in XC fashion with some downhill mixed in), and the've made a world of difference compared to a standard grip. I've never owned the Ergon so I can't compare, but I wouldn't mind giving the Ergon GP1 a try since I like to shift my grip and ride on the ends of the handlebar when doing a long stretch on flatland or going uphill, and it looks like the Ergons have a larger amount of surface area for holding onto when riding in that "off the end" style. I definitely recommend these Specialized grips to anybody, but if I buy another grip it'll be the GP1; if the GP1 aren't an improvement, I'd have no problem going right back to these.

Submitted by zeppy

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Super comfortable, tacky rubber, lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Spin a bit on carbon bars if you don't use something in between the carbon and the grip itself.

Bottom Line:
I have used Ergon grips on every MTB I own but I happened on a pair of these and wanted to try them out. They have proven to be insanely comfortable... even when compared to the Ergon grips I have grown used to. The rubber used for the portion of the grip where your fingers go (not the wing-ish portion) is very tacky and makes it impossible for your hands to slip off. Ever. So far they look like they will be a long-lasting grip as well.

Similar Products Used:   Various Ergon grips.

Bike Setup:   Have these on a SS Rockhopper

Submitted by TCW a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    Great for long rides, durable, lock-ons. Light-weight compared to other ergo/lock-on grips

Weaknesses:    Not as light as non-lockon grips.

Bottom Line:
Might be the best grips I've used. Excellent for longer ride comfort. Oury grips are second choice and might be a little better for technical riding where shifting around on the bars is desired. The minimalist design and extra squishy rubber on the contact area really make these grips ideal. Of course grips are a very personal choice. My hands are fairly large, wear large/XL gloves, so maybe these are better for large hands. I used ESI Chunky grips for a while and found them much to small. The Speshy BG grips are large but nothing compared to Ergons, the paddle portion only sticks out a little on the BG grips. I paid $20 at the LBS when I had the Tallboy built up. At $25 I still consider these a good deal since they are durable and appear to last a long time. If you're looking for more comfort then I recommend you give these a try.