Home | Reviews | Grip | Ritchey

Ritchey TrueGrip Grip

4.52/5 (21 Reviews)

TheTrue Grip by Ritchey features a classic shapeTo help reduce hand fatigue while still providing excellent grip and its kraton rubber construction keepsThese grips from slipping on your bars. Durable, no-slip Kraton rubber construction Classic Ritchey shape

Submitted by holycrikey a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    Tacky, Sticky grip, easy install, low price, nice almost triangular design.

Weaknesses:    Very very thin.

Bottom Line:
I scooped these up for their low price and good reviews here on MTBR. However, I just felt that they were far too thin. I use full-fingered gloves (non-padded) and I have pretty skinny fingers and I felt that these were just not enough to handle regular abuse. My palms felt awful after a good bit of riding. Call me a sissy, but they just felt a bit too thin to be comfortable for anything over 4 or so miles of trail.

Not good, not bad. I'll give them a middle review. I believe I'll head over to ODI's stuff and see how they are instead.

Submitted by Wade Patton a Cross Country Rider from Woodbury, TN

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2007

Strengths:    Perfect size shape and feel.

Weaknesses:    none--well okay maybe colors would be cool.

Bottom Line:
I'm the 1999 "Wade" reviewer. I'm still completely satisfied with True Grips. Haven't found anything better, but ain't been looking. Don't feel the need.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding

Similar Products Used:   OURY is about the closest in feel, but they're a bit tacky/gummy and have those gunk collecting grooves.

Bike Setup:   one gear. discs. big tires. steel HT.

Submitted by BLACK SHEEP a Cross Country Rider from DENVER

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    SOFT AND TACKY, LIKE OTHERS HAVE STATED, NO LOGOS OR RAISED PATTERNS TO DIG INTO YOUR HANDS. NO WEENIE GLOVES NEEDED! I'VE BEEN USING THE SAME PAIR SINCE MY 1991 BRIDGESTONE MB-3, JUST SLIDE 'EM OFF AND RE-INSTALL WITH SOAPY WATER AND RIDE ON.

Weaknesses:    ZERO

Bottom Line:
FORGET ALL THE OTHER GIMMICKS ... GIVE $7 ... AND RIDE 'EM FOR AT LEAST 16 YEARS WITH MANY MORE TO COME. BOMB PROOF AND THEY DON'T GET ANY MORE COMFORTABLE. JUST GET THEM

Favorite Trail:   MT FALCOM

Similar Products Used:   YOU NAME IT

Bike Setup:   IT DOESN'T MATTER ...IT'S WHO'S ON THE BIKE

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Virginia

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely durable and comfortable. A bargain.

Bottom Line:
These were original equipment on my 1991 Bridgestone CB-0, and they finally split. I just purchased new ones, and I was surprised that they are still available. Just the right amout of cushioning and "stick." They truly last more than 15 years.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   CB-0 for fast city/neighborhood rides and occasional mild trail use.

Submitted by GlowBoy a Cross Country Rider from Portland OR

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap. Solid, classic design that works. Quite cushy.

Weaknesses:    Not lock-on, so they slip on my Mary bar.

Bottom Line:
I was using the Ritchey True Grips until I switched to the On-One Mary handlebar. The geometry of this bar causes non-lock-on grips to twist around too easily so I had to switch to lock-ons. Otherwise, the True Grips are awesome: a simple design that costs nothing and works well, plus it's more cushy than almost any other grip I've tried. Get them.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey TGV, Yeti Hard Core, Oury lock-on, Serfas, various others

Bike Setup:   Custom Vulture 29"er singlespeed w/Mary bar

Submitted by Matt H. a Cross Country Rider from Havertown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2005

Strengths:    Grippy. Nice, cushy, hexagonal contour.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have used these grips on my Bridgestone since 1991! They are still holding up well. Grippy, yet solid. Cushy, yet not overly soft. They work well with either thin gloves or bare hands.

Please note--If you install bar ends on a bike equipped with closed-end grips, DON'T use a knife to cut the ends off. Simply give the end of the [installed] grip a light whack with a rubber mallet. The end of the handlebar will cut a perfectly sized round hole through the end of the grip.

Purchased At:   The bike shop on M Street in Georgetown?

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Yeti house brands.

Bike Setup:   '91 Bridgestone CB-0. Set up as a commuter rig.

Submitted by Diana Price a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    Simple, comfortable design.
Under $10

Weaknesses:    Cheap bar end plugs included w/ package.

Bottom Line:
Great grip, however, you might as well buy new bar end plugs to start (maybe something more substantial like Primo or X-Lite bar plugs). I like the no frills comfort of these grips so I still give them 5 chilis!

Purchased At:   Performace Bicycles

Bike Setup:   2001 Voodoo Bizango

Submitted by ben lee a Weekend Warrior from los altos, ca

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    excellent feel. firm grip. if installed correctly, there is no twisting.

Weaknesses:    no holes on other end. so, you have to cut holes in order to use bar ends. can get hard and slick if not used regularly.

Bottom Line:
good grips. however, now there is much better grips on the market. they used to be the best.

Favorite Trail:   stevens creek canyon

Purchased At:   various bike shops

Submitted by Horace a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, hex shape, smooth surface

Weaknesses:    For some, maybe the smooth surface

Bottom Line:
Dunno what prompted me to order these as my replacement but they've spoiled me for any other grip. Simple, solid and reliable. Sure surface, particularly when wet. 2+ years of service with exposure to variety of elements (sun/heat, rain, ice). Have held up under daily use over that time. As others have indicated, I take a dim view of the sticky compound, hard/soft funny business. Give me a grip which sticks to the bar that I can grab and run with. One very consistent and well designed product.

Similar Products Used:   Serfas, Profile Designs

Bike Setup:   2000 Fisher Wahoo

Submitted by Max a Weekend Warrior from Nashville

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    Simple, beautiful basic design. No crappy logo imprint in your palm. Wonderful cushioning. Great grip wet or dry. Hex shape is natural.

Bottom Line:
This is the only mtb style grip on the market that I can recommend. Period.

My last set is on its last legs and I went to five local bike shops to explore different options. There was not one set that could compare in function and comfort. The only differentiation was style. How sad. These bike shops were filled with dozens of wonderful choices for other accessories, but no real grip choices. Just a selection of "choose your crappy logo".

Ritchey true grips are the end all for MTB grips. period.

Purchased At:   Rapid Transit Chicago

Bike Setup:   extreme commuter

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    See review

Weaknesses:    Next to impossible to slide on and off unless you got WD-40

Bottom Line:
Best thing about these grips is the smooth flat surface. None of that stupid raised graphics digging into your palms like the other brands. And Ritchey finally made these with the ends already cut open (in the old days, you had to knife them, which left ugly - and possibly torn - edges). Five friggin' chillies all around.

Similar Products Used:   Can't remember

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C.

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    comfortable shape, durable enough to survive several crashes, works well with gripshift.

Weaknesses:    can slip on bars if not glued on or put on over tape.

Bottom Line:
i really like these grips. the hex shape reminds me of the old preston petty motorcycle grips(i'm showing my age now!) that i ran on my 125 honda elsinore back in the early 70s. i also like the way they are made a little fatter in the middle. i trimmed a little bit off the ends of mine and they work fine with the shorty gripshifts i run. i've run them on both flat bars with barends and risers without. they've survived some good crashes on the risers and are still going strong. tom ritchey makes good products; maybe that's because he's a mountain biker himself and tests everything he sells.

Favorite Trail:   landahl trail

Purchased At:   internet order

Similar Products Used:   lots of them.

Bike Setup:   fisher marlin hardtail.

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    Soft but not too soft rubber, shape, size (fits my big hands perfectly), stickyness

Weaknesses:    they are kind of slick when they get wet

Bottom Line:
The guy that owned my bike before me put these on at least 4 years ago, and they have worked well for me ever since I have had my bike. In fact, they are one of the few parts on the bike that I have not needed or wanted to replace. I love these grips. They fit my big hands well, and are cushy enough that I don't need gloves to be comfortable. I reccomend them.