Odi Grips Ruffian Lock-On Grip

4.69/5 (64 Reviews)

The ODI Ruffian Lock-On Grips are perfect if you have small hands or simply prefer small diameter grips. The file tread pattern ensures a good grip, even if you get sloppy in the mud. And if you feel like minimal grips offer maximal control, it doesn't get any more sensitive than this in a lock-on style grip. The lock-on cuffs guarantee the grip won't move until you want them to. They come with clamps, hardware, and end plugs. They also come in two lengths -- standard 115mm and SRAM for twist shifters.

Submitted by Eric J

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    They stay put, they don't get too slippery when wet, they can be taken off when you need to remove them. They look great, they last a long long time.

Weaknesses:    They get tacky and leave black gunk on your hands when they get dirty.

Bottom Line:
I still give these grips high ratings because they perform right up there with the best I have tried. They do get dirty and leave black stuff on your hands, yes, but that happens with most grips out there. They really are for small hands, and that is not the fault of the grips. I have had these grips on my bike for years and it is now time to replace them. I will be using the ODI Rogues this time. I am a fan of The ODI system because of these grips!

Submitted by scorchedearth a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2013

Strengths:    These grips feel tight, don't budge on me while riding, and offer a good surface to maintain contact with my handlebars. I have ridden on them a couple of times so far and am happy with my purchase so far.

Weaknesses:    They are a little smaller than the stock grips that came on my Kona however being that I have small hands, this doesn't bother me and I am getting accustomed to their size.

Bottom Line:
So far, so good.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Kona Fire Mountain with X-Roc S Pedals, XT rear hub with Mavic EN-321 rear rim, Jagwire cables.

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    super thin, comfy and soft, tacky rubber.

Weaknesses:    Ever so slightly too narrow...the rubber lip/lockring is the only small thing that doesn't feel so good, but is barely noticeable. Wears pretty quick, but I'm still running year old grips and feel fine, just a bit hard.

Bottom Line:
Awesome for thin gloves or no gloves. ODI say they're for smaller hands, but my hands are massive and I cant stand Oury's the feel of the handlebar just isn't there. Next best grip would prolly be lizard skin peatys followed by renthals, but I prefer the ODI's.

Submitted by p2rider426

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    Great grip, good hardware, look great, very long life.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes I would get a grip with a small amount of rotational wobble even if the hardware was al snugged up. I would just replace the locking rings with spare ones I had from previous ODI grips that I knew had no wobble.

Bottom Line:
Awesome grips. I love the increased outside diameter and the pattern is very good for traction with or without gloves. Supplies hardware is pretty good except sometimes lock rings will allow a little wobble.

Submitted by isaac1384

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    They don't move, great grip, super affordable.

Weaknesses:    Could be a little bigger for me.

Bottom Line:
These grips were perfect for me. They were super easy to install. It wa harder to ake my old grips off than put these on. They don't move at all if properly installed. They provide a great gripping surface. I use mine with gloves (I sweat alot). The only thing is They could be a little bigger for someone who has larger hands, but that is the case with most stock grips that come on bikes. Great value.

Submitted by Oilman a Weekend Warrior from OKC

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2011

Strengths:    Great grip, Looks, lock-on, basic grip pattern that gets the job done

Weaknesses:    Wears a little quickly due to smaller texture

Bottom Line:
I have used this product for about 4 years now and have never had my grip compromised by riding conditions. I am on my second pair now (first pair was black, my current pair is silver). Lock-on clamps and caps have never come loose or required adjustment. Even while riding for long periods of time without gloves they never seem to wear on my hands.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager slide on grips, Profile design bar wrap

Bike Setup:   06' Fisher Piranha

Submitted by Bungholio a Cross Country Rider from Washington State, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2011

Strengths:    Solid feel, nice colors (but I chose black), easy to install and take off, perform well and look cool. The texture is nice and grippy.

Weaknesses:    None so far. They may be a little rough for people with soft, clammy hands.

Bottom Line:
These grips are the best I have ever used just from the standpoint that they were easy to install, all the parts were there and fit together well, the design is simple and size and texture make them easy to stay connected with the bars.

Favorite Trail:   Methow Valley Trails

Purchased At:   Jensons

Similar Products Used:   These are the first lock on grips, I had lizard skins and ODI Mushrooms back in the day

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by ForrestJones a Weekend Warrior from central NY

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    They don't move around. Grippy. They don't move around. Made in USA. Did I mention they don't move around?

Weaknesses:    They weren't free, don't give massages.

Bottom Line:
Its true that they don't absorb much shock. Gloves take care of most of that. If I had demoed them I would've gone with rogues, but thats on me. These grips are high quality, easy to install. Buy them.

Purchased At:   amazon/backcountry

Similar Products Used:   Stock grips (non-locking)

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 disc

Submitted by ultimateracer28 a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Strengths:    These things are GREAT! Once installed (very easy), they never ever have slipped and have a great feel. I do have larger hands and feel that they could be a bit chunkier, but I still love them. Best of all, they're made right here in the U.S.A. What's not to love about that?

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none!

Bottom Line:
If you can get these in the Limited Edition silver I highly recommend it! They look sweet! 5 Flamin' chilis!

Favorite Trail:   NW Dunes, IN

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   WTB grips

Bike Setup:   2004 S-Works Enduro frame with BB7s, Chris King HS/BB, Race Face Evolve DH and crapppyy front forks!

Submitted by asanathema a Cross Country Rider from Cumberland, MD

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Lock on.

Weaknesses:    If you get white, like I did and it doesn't stay white, clean it more, or don't buy white. It's a grip it's going to get dirty. Tree branches and trunks can take gouges out of the rubber but it that's not a major problem my non lock ons probably would have lost more.

Bottom Line:
I'd buy them again, different feel at first from the Specialized Enduro grips felt harsher at first but now it's nice. Ease of removing them without wd-40/air is great and I'll probably get another pair.

Favorite Trail:   fort ord......

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   1st lock ons.

Bike Setup:   Custom painted Specialized Epic Expert.

Submitted by thrashmonster a Downhiller from Vashon, WA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Strengths:    Simply the most grippy best feeling Mountain bike grip ever made! they start off great feeling new and get even stickier with age! Lock on grips rule and these are the best! I doubt different grip will ever touch my mountain bikes!

Weaknesses:    nothing!

Bottom Line:
If you mountain bike and have never had these stop reading grip reviews and buy them!

Favorite Trail:   Dockton