Odi Grips Rogue Lock-On Grip

4.72/5 (112 Reviews)

The ODI Rogue Grips have charms that aren't seen but felt. The soft rubber blocks are designed to cushion the blow that even the longest-travel fork can't absorb. And since each block has a subtle file texture, they work great with gloves or without. The lock-on clamps guarantee the grip won't move until you want them to. They come with the clamps, hardware, and end caps. You'll have the option for standard length, 115mm grips or the shorter SRAM version for use with twist shifters.

Submitted by Eric J

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    Lock on, they stay put without twisting in wet weather unlike slip on grips, They are thick, They do not compress the ulnar nerve like harder, smaller diameter grips.

Weaknesses:    They do get dirty with hand oils and dirt, they can become tacky when dirty and need to be kept clean. Your hands can become black from them.

Bottom Line:
I bought these to replace the ODI Ruffians I had on my bike for almost 6 years, they were well worn and were overdue for changing. These grips are of a larger diameter and do not cause my hands to go numb after longer rides. I attribute that to the extra cushion of the grips and the larger diameter which spreads the pressure out much wider across the heel of my palm. I gave these a 5/5 in both value and overall because they perform as well if not better than the conventional grips and still have so much more to offer over the conventional grips. Yes, they do get dirty and leave black stuff on your hands... so does dang near every other grip I have used. I will be using ODI grips whenever I need a set from now on. They are the way to go. I AM A FAN.

Submitted by Rigid Unit a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    Agressive, chunky, spongee- yet firm, dual lock features, MADE IN THE USA!

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
The first thing I swapped out on my new Kona Unit Single Speed 29er and improved the grip/rideability character instantly over the hard/thin stock grips. With gloves or not, these are the ticket to hand comfort, 'specially on a rigid 29er. I have large hands and feel these were custom made for my application. Like one reviewer mentioned the small screws rusted over time- so I will be dropping a small amount of WD or whatever onto the screws now and then. Thanks!

Favorite Trail:   Mayberry

Duration Product Used:   2 mo.

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes, Yps

Bike Setup:   New leftover '12 Orange Kona Unit Single Speed 29er, 22" frame.
Swapped out so far; ODI Rogue Grips, Ardent 2.4 front tire, WTB Pure V saddle.

Submitted by bishop29er

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    Great Grip
Wider than stock
Easy to install
Don't move around
Shock absorbing

Bottom Line:
First modification I did to my trek xcal 29er, and still one of the best. Such an inexpensive way to make a big difference. I ride with gloves, but even without these are very sticky and absorb a lot of trail chatter. Nothing bad to say about these at all.

Submitted by ZMC888 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2012

Strengths:    Just perfect width and amount of grip for me.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, but shouldn't matter as long as you aren't counting grams. Expensive but worth it.

Bottom Line:
My favourite grips before I tried Rogues were Ruffians tied with Peaty lock-ons, both very good, and these days the Chinese/Taiwanese copycats are getting close to them. To me though the Rogues are in a different league. People call them fat, but really it's only a tiny bit extra in diameter that makes all the difference. I'm a bigger guy, yet have petite girlie hands and using these gripper fatter grips really work for me and inspires confidence on the trail, my new benchmark in grips, same as Maxxis Minions for tires. Maybe it's because I've used bigger grips off and on, on motorcycles for years that makes the marginally wider diameter work for me.

I would recommend that everyone at least try these grips, but I doubt they suit everyone.

Purchased At:   Je James

Similar Products Used:   ODI ruffian, Lizard skins Peaty lock-on, DMR lockdd, Kona, giant, mongoose, Merida oem, Taiwan copy lock-ons.

Bike Setup:   AM

Submitted by The-Ox a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, durability, comfort, size

Bottom Line:
I got big hands and the stock Specialized Grapplers on my new Stumpy FSR were too thin and painful even with gloves. I loved Yeti Hard Cores for the comfort and the larger diameter, but I wanted something more durable that locked on. These are fantastic grips! Solid and comfortable with a great surface area to work with. You won't be disappointed!

Favorite Trail:   Joplin

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   Yeti Hard Cores, Grapplers

Submitted by AC a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Strengths:    Great grip, long lasting, no slip.

Weaknesses:    The screws rust out very quickly - not a problem until you are trying to get these off. I had to drill out one side. They're tough though, they took the abuse well when I tried to pry them.

Bottom Line:
Great heavy duty grips until it comes time to take them off.

Submitted by ParengBalot a All Mountain Rider from Roy, UT

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, Comfort, Ease of Installation, Feel, Cush

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Love these pair of grips. They have plenty of padding for comfort on epic rides & provide plenty of traction. Material is very durable & strong during crashes & alloy clamps protect the grip when hitting rocks. The plushness of the grips doesn't make your claws tired & very forgiving on rock garden trails, plus it doesn't give you calluses on your palms. They are very durable & last for plenty of miles of fun! I like the refill concept without having to buy the lock-on clamps to save on $$$.

The smaller grips are good for short races & control, but the Rogue are the only set of grips for all-terrain, all-mountain, & epic fun!

Summed up: Best of all gel grips with plenty of cush, traction, & toughness.
Yes, I would recomend this to a friend.
Likes: Grip, Comfort, Ease of Installation, Feel, Plushy
Dislikes: Heavy
Works For: All Mountain

Favorite Trail:   SnowBasin Trails

Purchased At:   Tree For Fort

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro SL Comp, IronHouse Hallowpoint

Submitted by Footer a Weekend Warrior from LA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy. Lock on. Cog for bar ends.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with these. Grippy in both wet and dry conditions, good diameter for big hands. Have cog so they lock onto Cane Creek bar ends which are made of a similar rubber so they integrate well.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant stock grips

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Comp.

Submitted by ccs1676 a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Strengths:    Stays on bars, does not slip. Solid.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I got these grips because the stock ones on my Hardrock would literally slide around on the bar. Realizing just how hazardous that could be at some point, I needed new grips. First off, lock-ons are the way to go. You need your grips to just stay gripped tight on the bar. As far as other lock-ons go, I bet they are just as good if not better than these, I chose these strictly because of the reviews on this site. So far they have been absolutely fine. The allen screws which hold the grips on require a really small allen wrench. Be careful not too tighten too hard or you might bend that allen wrench.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   None, these are my first lock-ons.

Bike Setup:   2011 Hardrock Sport Disc SS

Submitted by greenblur a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    These grips existed 15 years ago when I raced BMX. I picked up mountain biking this year and I almost pooped my pants when I saw ODI made a lock on version. They're that good.

Weaknesses:    Are you kidding? I still have these on my 15 year old BMX and they are grippy and supple after all these years. The new, lock on versions I have on my mountain bike uphold the tradition of awesomeness.

Bottom Line:
Best . . . grips . . . . ever

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Similar Products Used:   Oury, Salsa

Bike Setup:   Salsa Spearfish - Reba RL, X7/X9 shifters/derailleurs, RaceFace Atlas AM crank, Kenda Slant Six tires, ODB lock ons, Fizik seat

Submitted by maylath310 a Cross Country Rider from PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great for larger hands. Grip is soft which helps to reduce vibration.

Weaknesses:    The rubber material of the grip and twist a small amount with the grip still locked in place, basically unnoticeable. This is only because its a thicker grip.

Bottom Line:
Love the grips, have them on my two man rides. Work well with both gloves and bare hands. Lock-on in my opinion is a must. Makes removal a breeze and the grips never throttle. Would recommend these grips to anyone with larger hands, I wear large or extra large gloves. If you have smaller hands than that go with the ruffian, another superb grip.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay Creek, DE

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   ODI Ruffian (too small for me), Stock Bontrager grips

Submitted by woahey a Cross Country Rider from Sedona AZ

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    Great grips- Large diameter is nice for larger hands, nice amount of cushion, NO movement

Weaknesses:    They do get a little slick in the rain. I've been told if I scrub it with a dish pad it will help

Bottom Line:
Great grip overall. I will definitely buy another set when I wear these out. I bought at top dollar through Blue Sky, could've saved money at LBS. Unlike others, I wont ding value rating due to my inability to shop around :)

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   Sram lock-ons, Lizard Skin

Submitted by keeponrollin a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    no movement what-so-ever! easy installation. great variety of clamp colors.

Weaknesses:    i accidentally bought the replacement pack which just included the grips and snap caps...no clamps. i ended up buying them off of www.odigrips.com with custom etching <-(plus)

Bottom Line:
they are great if u want grips that will last you a while (i heard this from an experienced rider). i have yet to take them on one of my more serious rides. i will be updating my review later.

my value rating is medium because i payed almost 40 for them...on accident...MAKE SURE U DONT GET THE REPLACEMENT PACK ON ACCIDENT!!!

Favorite Trail:   i.c. king

Purchased At:   local shop and onlin

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   read my profile

Submitted by dlongto a Weekend Warrior from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    stay put, cushy

Weaknesses:    note lite

Bottom Line:
These are great for rigid. I have small hands and don't buy the argument that they are too fat. Also good are the ODI comfort grip which doesn't lock down - sorta a non-lock Rogue.

Favorite Trail:   Mary's Loop

Purchased At:   bikeparts.com here i

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   rigid steel SS

Submitted by ehigh a Downhiller from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Strengths:    They're very comfortable on my hands. I'm 6'3", so I obviously have some bigger hands. Whether I am wearing gloves or not does not change how much I like the grips themselves (albeit, I still mountain bike with gloves on).
I ordered them online, and got the lazer etching on them in the stencil font, came out looking nice.
Like all properly working lock on grips, they don't move around.
hand doesn't wiggle around

Weaknesses:    I have not experienced any. If I find any trouble with these, I will be sure to make an update.

Bottom Line:
They kick ass! I have found them to be highly recommended by people here on MTBR and at the bike shop. I hear that ODI Ruffian's are also great (though I would likely get Ruffian MXs myself) but I picked these as I figured the grip style would last longer as it is more defined than the grip style on the Ruffian's (even the MXs ones)
I really regret purchasing the Crank Brothers Iodine grips, as they wore within a few weeks. Using this website is a great way to make decisions!
on a side note, I'm not actually on a downhill bike. I mostly do free ride and all mountain

Favorite Trail:   Hazard Peak Trail

Purchased At:   ODIgrips.com

Similar Products Used:   Norco lock on grips. Crank Brothers Iodine lock-on grips. plenty of stock grips in the course of my life.

Bike Setup:   Norco Range 3, upgrades consist of a Phenom seat by Specialized and Straitline Pedals.