Home | Reviews | Grip | Grab-On

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Sold as a pair.

Submitted by alex a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable, nonslip, inexpensive. Can be easily cut to size if you need a shorter grip.

Weaknesses:    Can be a bit difficult to get on and off but doable. Hairspray to install, alcohol to remove.

Bottom Line:
Yes, they are still made, and still available in 2013 I purchase them on the internet, including amazon. I've been using these for years for singletrack riding. I've tried others but I always come back to these as the very best.

Duration Product Used:   years

Purchased At:   grab on website

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of rubber, etc.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX carbon

Submitted by GONZALEZ LUIS a Cross Country Rider from SANJOSE, COSTA RICA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    The best grip you can find on the market.

Bottom Line:
You can feel the diference in the first minute of the raid.

You can ride all day long and you feel your hands perfectly. No numbness etc....

You can install the grip with alcohol (90 deg)and the grip stay in the handelbar strongly.

The feeling of the grip is totally different with the other grips in the market.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   All the grips in the market.

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, comfortable, slip free, re-usable, cheap and last a long time.

Weaknesses:    Shops don't seem to want to keep them in stock.

Bottom Line:
My two bikes have them and I'm about to buy a third set for my new bike. I'm going to have to mail order them though because the shop that actually turned me on to them is having problems getting them in Canada now. I didn't think they'd last longer than a year but I've had them on one bike for greater than five years now and they're still doing great!
If you're looking for these grips a few boutique online stores carry them.

Similar Products Used:   specialized grips, and a few other grips

Submitted by Grabon Fan from BC Canada

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Strengths:    Perfect for those that ride without gloves (work fine with gloves, too). Hands don't slip on them, still work great when the get wet, material doesn't bottom out, no irritating surface protrusions, (especially on the MTN 1 model)

Weaknesses:    Lost favor in the mind of the public because of crappy knock-offs (that are, other than looks, not at all similar to the real thing). Thought they were gone for good, but alas!: http://www.grabongrips.com/ or http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/

Bottom Line:
Spread the word on these long lost treasures and they might become more widely available!

Similar Products Used:   nothing really compares to these!

Submitted by Blake Johnston, M.D. a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    I've used these grips on my motorcycle, quad, and (would have used) on my MTB. Problem is that I cannot find them anymore. I have a set on my quad but they are 5 years old and I havn't seen them since........

Weaknesses:    They'll dry out if you store your machines in the sun or inclimate weather. They also tear easily. Avoid both and the grips will last a long time considering they are sponges.

Bottom Line:
If I find these grips again, I'll use them. Same grips I had on my BMX Redline in 1977!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Practically used them all my life.

Favorite Trail:   Obispo Crestline

Purchased At:   CAN'T FIND THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, MSR, Stock grips

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant NSR 2; 1996 Yamaha Banshee; 1996 Warrior

Submitted by Julian a Cross Country Rider from Rome, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent Shape
Great Comfort
Logn Lasting

Weaknesses:    Can't find them any more

Bottom Line:
This pair of grips is now on my third Mountain Bike in 11 years. They have outlasted every other component I have purchased for any of my bikes and they are still the most comfortable grip I have used. I tried some others over the years like the ODI's but the Grab-On's kept finding there way back to my handlebars. The grips are great for cross country riders or recreationalists who don't want to wear gloves. I especially like the flared end for pushing against in a corner.

Favorite Trail:   "Snow Loop" A long smooth winding downhill

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back WCF, XT, 2000 Judy Race

Submitted by Jason Lampitt a Cross Country Rider from Highlands Ranch, CO

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Strengths:    Outstanding support for hands and shock/vibration damping. Helps minimize fatigue.

Weaknesses:    *IF* you don't glue or hair spray 'em down they tend to get twisty on you when riding in heavy rain.

Bottom Line:
Use 'em!!! I can't believe that more riders do not use these grips. They were very popular in the late 80's/early 90's and then disappeared almost overnight!

Gone but not forgotten!

The company (Grab On) still exists and they still manufacture the grips as well as motorcycle grips. My favorite, the Mountain-2 style is still the best in my book.

Help revive an American favorite... buy Grab On!

Grab On Grips
100 North Avery Street
P.O. Box 2276 - (not sure if P.O. Box is needed?)
Walla Walla, WA 99362
(509) 529-9800

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail in OC, California

Purchased At:   Manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   None: Really hate any other kind of handle bar grip because there's no support.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SuperV500

Submitted by Craig a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Strengths:
Long
Lots of hand positions
Cushiony (is that a word?)

Weaknesses:
If they get wet, they stay wet.

Bottom Line:
I use the road bike Grab On grips on a Scott AT-3 bar for off road touring. Works great.

KVR

more than 3 years

Stock GT grips

Old GT Avalanche (steel one), Indy XC

Submitted by Shockee a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Strengths:
grippy, stays put, light, smooth for riding w/o gloves

Weaknesses:
difficult to remove and re-use

Bottom Line:
I grew up using grab-on grips and still like them. They stick on well with hair spray and never slide around. I wish there was a fatter version for my large hands, though. Grips are not a big concern for me, but these have worked well for me. I used to ride and race without gloves and thus appreciate the smooth surface. I wish they would come off as easily as they go on, though.

more than 3 years

rocky mtn grips, odi, oakley bmx

Klein attitude, ManitouSX fork, XT