ESI Grips Chunky Grip

4.13/5 (46 Reviews)

The unique cell structure of silicone creates an amazing dampening effect. Silicone conforms to your hands and shifts the pressure evenly across palms. ESI Silicone MTB Grips and Road grips are engineered one side thicker for absorbing shock and vibration, with the opposite side thinner for bulk-reducing comfort.

Submitted by Barry Taylor

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2014

Strengths:    comfortable , excellent gripping ,have sweaty hands and they stick,, bought them in Marysville Washington road a couple days in the rain never had any issues with slippage, crashed several times never had issues with tearing or chewing up grips at all.

Weaknesses:    my mountain biking skills

Bottom Line:
Anybody with sweaty hand or fat hands these will work ,excellent grips, have neuropathy in hand they help with the fatigue, would highly recommend

Submitted by Canerod a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    Cushy, if that's what you want.

Weaknesses:    Fragile.
Unresponsive customer service.

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of Chunkies out of curiosity after reading a few post from racers who liked the feel of these grips. They went on easily with alcohol and I was initially quite pleased with the result. On my first ride I felt more pressure on my hands than I do with my Ergon Team GS1's. I adjusted my grip and the pressure seemed to ease. I also felt I had less control than I did with the Ergons.
Upon finishing my ride I discovered both grips had split at the ends. I emailed ESI Grips and they responded with a request for photos. I sent photos, but never heard back. After my second ride the grips were tearing further, so I removed them and reinstalled the Ergons.
These grips are too soft and fragile for singletrack riding! I feel they are a complete waste of money!

Favorite Trail:   Squirrel Gap, Pisgah NF

Duration Product Used:   Two rides

Purchased At:   Just the Right Gear,

Similar Products Used:   ODI, Ritchey,Ergon, Salsa,......

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude 970 29

Submitted by wasabiboi

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2013

Strengths:    ~dont fade in color
~light weight
~socks up the vibration
~fells GREAT even with death grip

Weaknesses:    ~if you throw your bike around, you will rip them.

Bottom Line:
I got mines for 13$ (USD) off ebay. You dont need gloves with these grips because the amount of everything is just so good.

Submitted by Joe Bananas

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Comfy and nice looking "no logo" design. Perfect balance between cushion and good contact to the handlebar. Easy to install and don't know about how easy could be to remove since it's not in my plans due to the good experience with them.

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive for what they really are. Blacks are not that black and mostly dark grey.

Bottom Line:
Coming from a neoprene pair of grips that served me quite well for the last year I thought it could be difficult to find grips that would beat them. Tryed a pair of ESI and since then they still being stuck on my handlebar and I'm keeping loving the feeling and the look.

Submitted by Nrs1Rider

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2012

Strengths:    Soft and easy on the hands. I like riding with out gloves. Use them on a rigid SS and find them to give a little extra cushion. Also use them on a bike with suspension.

Weaknesses:    Do get chewed up in the event of a crash.

Bottom Line:
I've owned about 4 or 5 pairs of pairs of these and have had the current 2 pairs on my bikes all year long. Will buy these again in the future.

Submitted by Greg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    light, comfortable, solid feel and pretty cheap online direct from esi. super tight fit-great once on.

Weaknesses:    bar plugs didn't fit my inner diameter of carbon bars-even when hammered in with a rubber mallet the retention fins just snapped off-ie useless. super tight to get on, no flange on outer edge so not as good a feel as ourys but considering the weight, hard to complain.

Bottom Line:
great weight and comfort, would recommend to weight Weenies wanting to shave 60+ grams from rubber grips-more for lock ons.

Favorite Trail:   antelope canyon

Duration Product Used:   1week.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   foam race grips are closest similar product but these out class those by a mile.

Bike Setup:   mojo slr, revelation carbon fork, Xx1 groupo, 240/crest wheels, Reverb post, gobi saddle

Submitted by RedBen

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive, reasonably comfortable, easy installation.

Weaknesses:    Slippery

Bottom Line:
Using rubbing alcohol, they went on really easily. Look up the Youtube video on install if you're having issues. They're fairly comfortable, however, if you don't wear gloves, they get slippery when wet or when your hands sweat. They also made my hands sweat more than the stock grips did. My hands nearly slipped off on a couple occasions when riding on a somewhat humid morning.

Similar Products Used:   Stock Felt grips.

Submitted by metallicjester

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    they have a lotta colors and aren't to difficult to install.

Weaknesses:    might not be the most durable. time will tell

Bottom Line:
looks great and seem to be more comfortable than my lock ons. time will tell but i am excited to find out

Submitted by ProjectDan35

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, simple, very grippy!

Weaknesses:    Too thin for me, the end caps are brittle, they break if you try to take them off ( the part that sticks in the bar end does ). Finding the "thin" spot is rather hard, especially how they "cut" the grip at an angle at the ends. A little pricey for some silicone!

Bottom Line:
I'd say it's a great grip for a smaller hand, I have big hands, and they're too thin. It might not be "thin", but they compress a little when you grip them, that's the problem.

Instillation is a breeze with 91% isopropyl alcohol. The end caps may need trimming for smaller diameter bars.

Submitted by OLx6 a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to install, comfortable, long lasting, light, good grip, easy to clean, and inexpensive.

Bottom Line:
These are great grips. I wear gloves with these have yet to see my hands slip. I replace them every two years and could probably go even longer.

Submitted by PeT

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    The right size for a medium sized hand, never slick, never move, easy on and off. Reasonable price

Bottom Line:
They're the perfect diameter for my hand when coupled with a thin riding glove. Furthermore, they never move even without a locking collar - the lack of locking collar is one reason they're amazingly light. They're tough too, had one set going for several years of hard riding with no discernible wear or loss of squish.

Submitted by dgw2jr

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    Somewhat comfortable, dont slip on the bar

Weaknesses:    Installation and removal is a chore. I just cut mine off. Too expensive for what they are.

Bottom Line:
Not chunky enough, fall apart too easily. One crash will do them in. Took them off and put my Oury lock-ons back on, then switched to Velo foam lock-ons and now I'm satisfied.

Submitted by DudeFace a All Mountain Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Comfy for large hands, lots of color options, don't "throttle", very ergonomic, light weight, great price.

Weaknesses:    MIght tear if you shag a tree going fast

Bottom Line:
These grips are gnar-balls awesome. I love these grips because I have huge hands (you know what that means) and the large-diameter grips are the way to go to for us "large-handed" people. I like soft grips, and these fit the bill by being soft enough for comfort on all-day excursions, but still have the stiffness necessary to control your bike. Some people might be concerned because they aren't "lock-on" grips; don't be. From the day I installed them, they haven't moved a millimeter. I bought mine in bright orange, but there are 4 other colors to choose from. The only downside is that they might tear if you're hauling the mail downhill and shag a tree. I've been riding on these for a month and have yet to damage them, but I'm just saying it's possible. Even then, I would say they're the most durable silicon foam grips I've ever used. And if you do damage them? Who cares, they're $18!

Favorite Trail:   SMP Freeride

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by TCW a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2012

Strengths:    Fairly light weight, easy to install

Weaknesses:    Heavy compared to foam grips, uncomfortable, too thin, overpriced, delicate

Bottom Line:
I really expected a nice product but these are just way overpriced for what they are. Also, I found the diameter suprisingly small. Oury grips in comparison feel much larger and much more comforable. The weight is heavy compared to foam grips like offering from Bontrager. Also, they feel larger. The small diameter really forced me to use more of a death grip compared to other grips where I could realx my grip more often thereby making longer rides comfortable. When these grips get wet they become dangerously slick. If ESI made a grip from this material in a much larger diameter I'd give them a try, if the price was reasonable. Do yourself a favor and stick to grips such as Oury, if you're used to those. If you're coming from an ergo grip these will really feel puny.

Weight weenies with small hands may want to give these a try. Or if you just prefer a small diameter grip these may suit you.

Favorite Trail:   Clearbay