Home | Reviews | Grip | Ergon

Ergon WP1 Grip

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Our performance grip was made especially as an upgrade from a typical grip. It is our most economical model but you get all the benefits of the Ergon platform. Best of all the WP1 is specifically developed for a woman’s hand. Integrated forged aluminum bar clamp allows infinite adjustability and eliminates twisting of grip once optimum position is achieved. It is the finest grip built specifically for women.

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Strengths:    Very durable. Very comfortable. Eliminates numbness in my hands.

Weaknesses:    none I can think of.

Bottom Line:
They work. I've been riding a long time and would get numb within the first few miles. Not any more.
You may have to play with the angle to get it just right for you. It's easy, just don't tighten it all the way and try different angles on a test ride. You'll find what feels right.
I'm 50+ years old so I'm not doing rock gardens anymore but on regular cross country rides I've never lost my grip.
They're worth the money and the weight.

Favorite Trail:   private reserve

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Oury, WTB,

Bike Setup:   Blur, Marz., Shimano, Cane Creek wheels

Submitted by fixedgeargus a Racer from Milwaukee

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    24 Hour Comfort. Grip when you need it. Great grip in wet conditions.

Weaknesses:    zip.

Bottom Line:
These grips took me to a 2007 24 Hour Solo SS National Championship. 24hr, 12hr, 6hr, xc. Its all been done w/Ergon.

I am forever in debt to Ergon.

Similar Products Used:   Jones Bars

Bike Setup:   Trek 69er

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Ancaster Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Most comfortable grips ever
No twisting

Weaknesses:    These grips are NOT weak

Bottom Line:
I read about these grips, and thought they looked neat. I wrapped my hand around one at the LBS, but i was not ready to put down the cash. I kept thinking about how nice it felt, so i went to make the purchase. Though i am a male, i chose the smaller "womens" model. I put them on my bike, then i rode it. Then i rode it more. Then i raced it. These grips are just so comfortable. They reduce hand fatigue. They are great for xc - am riding. I highly suggest these to anybody who spends long periods of time on the bike.

They are more expensive, and heavier than regular grips, but i feel they are worth it.

Purchased At:   Ancaster Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Bell ergonomic grips from WallMart - They twist.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS, OEM Giant riser bar

Submitted by Laura O a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2006

Strengths:    Lock-on tightness. They don't move around after a rain like my old grips.

Weaknesses:    Kinda pricey, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
I took them for their first ride today. Hubby got the men's and his first ride was today as well. Both of us give them a big thumbs up. After 10 pairs of gloves and 3 different forks, I finally rode w/out numbness. Other than my eggbeater pedals, these are the best upgrade I've ever made on my bike.

Purchased At:   REI.com

Similar Products Used:   Oury grips

Bike Setup:   2000 Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Amy H a Cross Country Rider from Edwards, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2005

Strengths:    extremely comfortable, easy to install and adjust. eliminated hand and wrist pain.

Weaknesses:    weight, but on a full suspension xc bike there are other parts that weigh more

Bottom Line:
with standard grips my hands were the first thing to give out on a ride, and that was after only an hour or two. with the ergon grips, i can go all day with no residual pain the following day.

Favorite Trail:   long rolling trails

Purchased At:   performance on-line

Similar Products Used:   specialized std and bg grips

Bike Setup:   05 specialized stumpjumper fsr, stock setup.

Submitted by steve from salt lake city utah

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Strengths:    Does what it claims -- spares the ulnar side of the hand.

Weaknesses:    Maybe heavier than some grips.

Bottom Line:
I'm not usually the type to review products, but after reading MBA's take on these grips, I thought I should speak up. I've had real problems with hand pain and tried a variety of gloves to no avail. I bought these despite MBA's review on the advice of a friend and have used them on 4 long rides that would have left me wincing at each bump with my old grips. My hand haven't felt this good in months. I was worried about feeling that I didn't have a good grip on the bike, so I took the advice of the person who wrote into MBA and bought the women's size grip. No problems hanging on even in technical descents. Not even sure what the issue is there. Strongly recommend if you have problems with hand numbness and pain. I guess they prbably are a bit heavy, if you are worried about that (although I'm not even sure by how much).

Favorite Trail:   don't play favorites