Home | Reviews | Grip | Ergon

Ergon GS1 Leichtbau Grip

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

The GS1 Pro Race Leichtbau grip offers the optimized balance of comfort and performance required by top endurance athletes. Ergon's time-tested anatomical design relieves the pressure on the ulnar and medial nerves in your hands, while DirectControl Leichtbau rubber provides vibration damping and precise feedback.

Submitted by zorg

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    I've had ulnar nerve pain before, and the Ergon paddle grips took care of it. They really make a difference on long rides, and it's easy to rest your palm on the grip when climbing.

Weaknesses:    On long downhill, it is uncomfortable, and the control is not as good since you can't wrap your hand fully around the grip.

Bottom Line:
If you like flying downhill, you should try the Ergon GE1. It's not as comfortable going uphill, but much better going down, and relieves most of the palm pain that I used to get with plain round grips.

Submitted by Mark M

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Strengths:    Took away my thumb pain.

Weaknesses:    Had to abandon them due to loss of control.

Bottom Line:
Try this exercise illustrating one aspect of how your hand functions: Put your left thumb on top of the joint where the index finger of your right hand meets the palm and put your left index finger underneath the same joint. Then push the joint back and forth in the direction of the palm and then away from the palm. Repeat with the same joint of the rest of the fingers of the right hand. You will find that the joint of the ring and little finger is much more mobile than the same joint on the index and middle finger. This allows the part of the hand opposite the thumb to produce a very strong grip around objects, which the Ergon grip prevents..at least for me. Perhaps they could engineer the outside of the grip to let the fourth and fifth fingers wrap around better.

Submitted by majura

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    Supportive and comfortable platform

Weaknesses:    Large and loss of that feeling of 'control' as you're unable to wrap your fingers round the bar.

Bottom Line:
I really wanted to keep these on by bike, but in the end had to switch. Whilst I'm in love with the wing support, I found it too hard to adjust how I'm used to riding - and that's to have my hands at the edge of the bar, arms bent and out. This meant the clamp was under my hand, leading to a not so comfy ride. Also, I really disliked how disconnected the grips made me feel from the bike - not being able to fully wrap my fingers round the bar just didn't feel right (I never slipped off). They seem more suited to the less aggressive rider.

Submitted by pedalitup a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable as advertised. Top notch material and construction quality. They weigh exactly 146 grams as stated on the package. Eliminated known recurrent wrist pain completely.

Weaknesses:    Not exactly a weakness but extremely touchy to get the wing angle dialed in perfectly. Persistence really pays off as they're actually uncomfortable at even slightly wrong angle. I can't say how this would affect use in off road applications as I'm using them on a rigid carbon fork.

Bottom Line:
Bought these to ease left wrist pain from an old tennis injury. Once adjusted into their sweet spot, I rode this bike 45 miles without wrist pain for the first time. Absolutely awesome upgrade.

Duration Product Used:   One day

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Cyclocross frame with Easton carbon lo rise bar setup level with saddle height.

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased these grips after my hands started hurting after using the Ergon GA1 grips. Those grips I could never position correctly. But, these grips are absolutely amazing. The small fits perfect in my hand despite my fingers being fairly long. If you have a large palm, I would suggest the large size. Once you get these dialed in, you can actually steer on the toughest of trails simply by placing pressure through your palm. It is pretty sweet, and so are these grips!

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I have found so far is the hardware used to tighten the ends. One of the bolts cross-threaded and stripped out, so now I am forced to find a longer bolt or buy a new set of grips. Since they are pricey, I am not terribly happy, however I can't find any other grip that I would want to spend money on. Also, the end caps are ugly.

Bottom Line:
Buy these if you want a superb grip that will relieve hand pain, even if you are already using grips like the Ergon GA1s.

Submitted by heartland a Cross Country Rider from Indiana

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable! These grips keep my hands happy even on all day rides.
Relatively lightweight (for this type of grip).
Easy to instal and adjust.
And they're easy on the eyes, too.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
These are the best grips I've used to date! Couldn't be happier with how well they work. Like all ergonomic grips, they take a while to position. (Do yourself a favor and ride with an allen wrench in your pocket after you install them for the first time.) But after tweaking the angle a bit, these grips are supremely comfortable and supportive.

I bought the GP1 model two years ago after developing some hand pain during longer rides. I liked that model - it cured my pain - but the grip itself was a little too big. I have small hands, and though I bought the small size GP1, it was still a little too large for me, especially on technical descents. The GS1 has a smaller wing, and so it's easier for me to hold onto during technical descents while still giving me the same pain relieving support. I know that not everyone likes Ergons, but these grips work very well for me and are my favorite by far. If you've experienced some hand pain while riding, they'd be worth trying.

Favorite Trail:   Hesitation Point