Home | Reviews | Grip | Ergon

Ergon GR2 Grip

4.38/5 (21 Reviews)
Weight : 300 grams MSRP : $117.95

Ergon's patented wing-shaped grips, like the GR2, offer more support for your hand than standard round grips. It's no surprise either that the portion of your hand that receives the benefit of the additional surface area is also where many glove manufacturers are placing extra padding these days. Coincidence? We doubt it. The Ergon design supports your hand and wrist in a way that relieves pressure on the Ulnar and Median nerves -- pressure that causes numbness, tingling, or pain. Ergon's naming convention is more simple than it may appear-- models with a 1 in the name don't have bar ends, any with a 2 have a short bar end built into the end of the grip, and anything with a 3 has a full-length bar end. The Ergon GR2 basically uses the GP1 grip, and adds a stubby bar end. In this case, it's not forged aluminum like the ends on the GC2, but magnesium. The result is a serious weight reduction. Otherwise, the GR2 is identical to the GC2. The Ergon GR2 Magnesium grip is 54mm at its widest (measured front to back). The GR2 grips are 132mm long, the SRAM version is 94.5mm long on both sides, and the Nexus/Rohloff is full length on the left and 96.5mm on the right side. The difference between small and large is found in the thickness of the grip. Most folks prefer the small, but if you have Paul Bunyon sized mitts, then you may prefer the large. The bar end is 91mm long which gives a total usable bar end length of 118mm. The clamp tightens via a 4mm Allen key that is underneath the bar end and is designed to take not more than 7nm of torque. The left and right grip shapes are mirror images of each other. They come with end plugs and mounting instructions. Claimed weights for the GR2 are as follows -- small is 308g, large is 338g, the SRAM small is 293g, and the SRAM large is 307g. The GR2 is available in Black/Grey.Choosing the correct grip (PDF)

Submitted by KarboKreel a Cross Country Rider from La Réunion

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2010

Strengths:    - excellent relief of the palm presure
- design allowing fast hand position change
- very effective 3 fingers barends
- independent angle adjustments
- great compounds (rubber and plastic)

Weaknesses:    - not available in many colors?

Bottom Line:
Those grips have changed my feeling on my rides and relieved the palm pressure I could feel during some 50+ km paths.
With some cheap ergonomic grips the tingle due to the maintained pressure was annoying. The Ergon totally cleaned this off, and now the tough slopes and acceleration parts increasing the grip pressure are far more comfortable.
I love the barends size. They allow fast hand position change.

Anyway, with my setup, I usually go for crosscountry and road rides, so I didn't use the Ergons for DownHill.

If you feel those grips are too expensive, I can assure you, you don't pay only for the compounds, but surely for the great design which is an important part of any ergonomics!

Purchased At:   Bike24.com

Similar Products Used:   cheap ergonomic grips

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo 700 equipped with cyclocross tires (Schwalbe Cx pro)

Submitted by Mike2009 a Weekend Warrior from Athens GA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    Big palm pad so that you can set the angle you want your wrists to remain when you ride.

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen

Bottom Line:
I got these grips in a desperate attempt to get rid of my wrist/hand numbness when I ride....HUGE SUCCESS! Once I got them set to the right angle I have had ZERO numbness in my wrists/hands! The handle bar end grips are also good to change it up a bit when not needing to shift.

Favorite Trail:   Harbins

Purchased At:   The Hub Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek EX 9

Submitted by Dave from NH a Weekend Warrior from Northwood, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    Solid locking system, easy to readjust, comfortable rest for palm

Weaknesses:    Heavy, grip could be longer

Bottom Line:
I like others had to keep a hex with me to finely tune again and again, but it's there now and I have no wrist pain or numbness. I'm happy.

Favorite Trail:   Bearbrook

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell bar ends, Felt and Trek stock grips.

Bike Setup:   Felt Q720, new seats, pedals, grips, and such.

Submitted by Ecogeek a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    Comfy. Cheap for mag bar-ends and decent grips. Takes a lot of strain off wrists thanks to palm-rests reducing the leverage. Great for hopping a bike higher without clipless pedals. You get a lot of extra leverage on the back of the flat area.

Weaknesses:    Too heavy. Bar ends not grippy, or ergonomic, or long enough.

Bottom Line:
I have the mens/large grips w mag bar-ends. There are new versions of these grips out that are lighter and have longer bar-ends. If you can afford it, get those. They're not cheap though.
For this version, price for grips AND bar-ends gets an extra value chili. But overall, weight costs 1 chili. Bar end implimentation another.
As others have mentioned, there should be a better recess for the small fingers. But the company deserves a lot of respect, because in another couple of generations of this product, we will all be much better off than with old round grips. If you're on a budget and want to try these, just get the standard ergonomic grips without bar-ends.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similar. Lots of round grips.

Submitted by karcg a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Decreases hand numbness and improves comfort on non-technical trails.

Weaknesses:    As another reviewer said, can be downright SCARY on fast technical downhills. I never feel like I have as good a grip on the bars as with round grips

Bottom Line:
Good if you don't do much technical riding, but I'm giving up on them myself.

Favorite Trail:   All of Pisgah N.F.

Purchased At:   Sycamore Cycles, Bre

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by Spongebob a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    Great grip for what I used it for: road tandem with a straight bar. Gave me new positions for my hands. Many different adjustments so it can be dialed in perfectly.

Weaknesses:    They aren't 100 grams

Bottom Line:
Great for this straight bar set up. Never used them on a mountain bike, but were great for me.

Favorite Trail:   Road

Purchased At:   MHC

Bike Setup:   Road Tandem

Submitted by Brad from Poughkeepsie NY

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    Eliminates numbness in hands and arms.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to algin.

Bottom Line:
For casual riding, these definitely do help.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2008

Strengths:    Absolutely Great XC grip. No numb hands after hours in the saddle. Barend is great for climbing. But....

Weaknesses:    Absolutely horrid for technical downhill riding. The nice wide palm area prevents ring and pinky fingers from getting a solid grip on the bars. It is very easy to loose grip when dropping off obstacles (even small ones).

Bottom Line:
If all you ride is XC -- the Ergons are among the best grips I've ever tried.

If you enjoy a little more technical XC with some technical downhill (or freeride) they can be fairly scary/dangerous -- try a standard round grip. I ride with a crew that lives for technical XC and I'll switch grips according to our ride location.

Ergon = XC Race
ODI Rogue = Technical downhill

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey grips, ODI Rogue, Grip Shift, Yeti

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Saltamontes, XT/XTR, Juicy 7s, RS Revelation 426, Raceface Next, Bontrager Racelite Tubeless Disc

Submitted by Pat McNulty a Weekend Warrior from Wheaton, IL USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2008

Strengths:    Easily adjustable palm grip and bar end.
Easy to install.
Excellent control.
Fits/works well with grip shifters.
VERY easy on the hands during long cross country rides. No more "cyclist palsey". My hands no longer go numb after 45 minutes in the saddle. Comfortable as long as I can keep peddaling

Weaknesses:    Mine was touchy to get a final tweaking for max comfort. I had to keep my hex wrench handy and make fix-it stops every 10 minutes till satisfied.
Price is steep for a had grip.

Bottom Line:
Got numb tingly hands/fingers ?
These helped me.

Happy trails.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with bumps.

Purchased At:   Cannot recall mailorder

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike Ti with XTR & XT components. Manitou fork.

Submitted by Bruce McJannett a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    Quality, comfort, ease of fitting.

Weaknesses:    Nil

Bottom Line:
Most comfortable grip I have ever used. The built in barend is slightly slippery compared to the all rubber Cane Creek bar ends but very comfortable. They work very well with Gripshift when I thought there may have been a bit of a compromise. A little more expensive but not when you consider it has a built in bar end and is a quality product.

Similar Products Used:   Serfas, Odi Ruffian, Rogue, Yeti, Oury, Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   Seven Sola

Submitted by Scott Barnett a Cross Country Rider from Edinburgh, UK

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Build quality and materials. Increased riding comfort. Looks. Packaging allows you to try for size.

Weaknesses:    Initial adjustments are fiddly. Relatively expensive. Heavier than some other grip options.

Bottom Line:
Just over 25 UK pounds delivered from Chainreaction within 18 hours of order placement. I was looking for a solution to the poor grip afforded by the stock SRAM grips which are very small due to the Gripshift system. These Ergons, which are available in Gripshift size, are the answer. I noticed immediate benefits which were totally magnified when I adjusted them properly - as previous reviewers have said, have the allen key handy for the first few rides. Really well made, comfortable and give better hand placement options due to the integrated bar ends. I have relatively small hands though, so check if the ends are worth it if you have bigger ones - you might be better with the Ergons without them. Expensive for grips but worth the money in my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking...

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Online

Similar Products Used:   SRAM grips as supplied (Gripshift)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Si Adventure 3 Ultra (EU model), SRAM Gripshifts, Headshock Fatty DL, 700c Wheels.

Submitted by randy a Cross Country Rider from the M.V.

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    immediate positive difference

Weaknesses:    heavy - i would not recommend for small handed people

Bottom Line:
Put them on for first time on group ride in Moab - was just so happy with the large platform it gave my hands.
At minimum, these doubled the amount of time I can ride without feeling the numbness creeping in.
The "feeling" of control is obviously so subjective - another rider states they didn't like them while hammering down hills cuz they couldn't get wrapped around the grips - my experience has been just the opposite - regular grips felt tiny - these give me so much more control which was evident the first time I hit a big downhill.
Comfort and control - probably best for big hands. They work.

Favorite Trail:   that really good one

Bike Setup:   c'mon.........you don't care....

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort
Eliminated wrist pain

Weaknesses:    Price, weight

Bottom Line:
I took up trials riding recently and bought a trials-specific bike (Simtra ST-1). Within a week my wrists hurt all the time. I was complaining to a friend who has Ergons on his bike and he recommended them. I put them on my trials bike and my wrist problems resolved quickly. So I bought a pair for my xc rig as well.

Extremely comfortable. I have zero complaints. Uphill, the little bar ends give hand position options. Downhill, supports the wrist and gives a lot more stability, comfort, and damping.

I highly recommend them.