Home | Reviews | Grip | Ergon

Ergon GC2 Grip

3.94/5 (33 Reviews)
Weight : 315 grams MSRP : $40.00

Ergon Performance Grips feature an easily adjustable angle of support. Optimal pressure distribution onThe palm prevents soreness and numbness Angle of support is easily adjustable Womens models are great for anybody with small hands Item Specifications Color Black/Gray Unit of Sale Pair Length 125 mm

Submitted by Rubber Duck a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    They're much more comfortable than regular grips. The horns on the end are great on climbs.

Weaknesses:    Those same aforementioned horns can get caught on things if you're not careful.

Bottom Line:
I just couldn't find a way to keep my hands from going numb on rides more than a hour long until I got these. Well worth the money.

Submitted by JC

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Love that they distribute the pressure, my regular grips caused a pressure point.

Weaknesses:    THIS IS BIG ... The ends on the bars act as HOOKS!! Guys, we're mountain biking... bush, trees and the like... Is it really smart to put hooks on the ends of your bars to catch whatever you're not able to dodge? In my case it was a terrible idea... came flying around a corner and hooked a one inch thick tree which flicked me about 6 feet off the bike.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT GET WITH THE END HOOKS!! These things should be banned. Get the GP-1 or GX-1

Submitted by Pedlinround a Cross Country Rider from Sedona, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    I have cervical disk injuries and been the ringer on grips. I am soooooo happy I found this grip because it does not exacerbate the numbness in my left hand nor nerve pinching in my neck. I'm able to ride much longer and more aggressively. The trails are very technical and whether I'm climbing or descending they are superb!

Weaknesses:    I can't honestly say "weight" because I could have bought the carbon version!

Bottom Line:
Great grip for all conditions especially long technical descents. I feel like the wider redistribution of pressure on the grips enables me to use my upper body much more fluidly.

Favorite Trail:   Most single track

Purchased At:   Absolute Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Too many!

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Trance x1 with lots of swap outs on the parts

Submitted by Spastook a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Strengths:    Increases palm contact area by 200%. After a 2 hour ride hands feel much better. Fingers no longer cramped up. Feel like I have more control over bike.

Weaknesses:    They are a bit heavy but well worth the tradeoff.

Bottom Line:
I may try these on my other 2 bikes. They work especially well on my singlespeed and with only one gear the bar ends come in handy from time to time as well.

Similar Products Used:   Every grip known to man over the past 25 years.

Bike Setup:   Ted Wojcik Singlespeed Hardtail

Submitted by o2binbuzios a Cross Country Rider from Boulder CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to mount, Easy to adjust, wrist and hand relief

Weaknesses:    it has to be right, positions your hands in one spot

Bottom Line:
I am signed up for a 100 mile race next month and I was more worried about hand & wrist pain than I am about my legs so I decided to try these. I'm 40+, so I need to take care of the bones.

I've got about 50 miles on these so far and I think they are winners... but it took a little skootching around to get them right. My first ride I was cramped with the shifters too close to the grips and the angle was not quite right.

Once I moved the shifters inboard from the brakes and tweaked the angle a little bit they worked great and I did a 4 hour ride with them and no numbness. The outboard barends are a nice break on fire roads or pavement.

I'm holding back 1 chili because they're heavy.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine

Purchased At:   Trek Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   lots of foam & rubber grips, ODI, ESI..

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR with Brain, Stans Tubeless Rims

Submitted by Timur_j a Cross Country Rider from Almaty (Kazakhstan)

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Big pad provides shock adsorbing, bar-ends protect arms and handlebar, easy to install/remove.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, pricey, slippery, not for technical riding.

Bottom Line:
Good for touring, but not for tech riding-racong.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com outlet

Similar Products Used:   ODI

Bike Setup:   hardtail, flat carbon handlebar

Submitted by kchap525 a Weekend Warrior from Cary, IL USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great grip for small hands. The bar ends allow multiple hand positions.

Weaknesses:    Designed for SMALL hands

Bottom Line:
Because I have large hands the bar ends kept digging into the sides of my hands causing pain and numbness. I would have to move my hands to far toward the center to get away from the bar ends. Eventually I had to turn the bar ends down finding the grips comfortable and the pain and numbness stopped. I will be replacing these grips.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir - Kettle Moraine

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG Comfort grip

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR-XC Comp

Submitted by cesalec a Weekend Warrior from Mexico / Austria

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    they don’t slip, the little horns are the exact size for my hardtail. They look comfortable.

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable as hell

Bottom Line:
I decided to give this grips a go since my original grips were done. I though they would be much more comfortable and since Ergon is a very well known and respected brand I though I couldn’t go wrong. Well I did…. I have been riding for 3 days in a row with them, they are, uncomfortable! I’ve tried several positions and to o avail by the end of the day my wrist, fingers and forearms feel sore as never before.

I cant explain why…the feel and look comfortable, but for me they simply hurt.
I already ordered a pair of Ergon GA1 and I’ll switch the horns to them, the GC2 are simply not for my precious hands.

Favorite Trail:   Lanserkopf over the Vogelehütte (austrian alps)

Purchased At:   bike point (LBS)

Submitted by choiberg a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, Fl

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent hand support, comfortable, no more sore hands after rides

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
WORK AS ADVERTISED

The hand support and position they put your hand in is excellent, the bar ends are adjustable and are just long enough. They don't stick out that far, just a tad bit farther than my hands do on the bars. Gives you more hand positions while riding.

One other benefit I did not hear anyone mention which I noticed immediately is that they give your hands some protection from the side when riding, they almost give you the feeling they are holding your hands in the bars they way they curve in.

I ordered these based on others reviews as I could not find these in town at my LBS. Glad I made the purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Hanna Park

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F7 CO2 Disc (Blue), Shimano PD-M540, Fi'zi:k Gobi XM, Ergon GC2, Trek Incite 6i

Submitted by greg a Cross Country Rider from glendale Az united states

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Weaknesses:    pricey not a fixall

Bottom Line:
bought these grips after reading the reviews on mtbr,I have moderate carpal tunnel and hand numbness is a problem after about 15 minutes of riding. It took a few tries to get a good position and they were comfy at first but then the numbness returned. Not good for technical riding, the shape makes it hard to change hand positions and make gear shifts. I can't say the grips are bad, but for me they were no miracle cure just an expensive mistake

Favorite Trail:   mcdowell mtn

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   cannondale F2000 xtr comps

Submitted by rghbsn a Cross Country Rider from Leland, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, good grip, reduces fatigue

Weaknesses:    None really...little pricey for grips, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
Great upgrade, should be the first thing you spend money on other than pedals/shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Any Trail

Purchased At:   Two Wheeler Dealer

Bike Setup:   Stock Felt Nine Elite

Submitted by theseanc a Cross Country Rider from Honolulu, HI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    Clamp on, fits well, adjustable, comfortable, hands don't feel sore after a long or bumpy ride.

Bottom Line:
These may look a little "geriatric", but you will not regret this install.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Ergo 2

Bike Setup:   XC Hardtail

Submitted by leehayes a Weekend Warrior from emmaus, PA USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    comfort

Weaknesses:    bar ends

Bottom Line:
I have carpal tunnel caused by mountain biking for too many years without suspension. I've been out of cycling for a few years and just got back in but my hands would go numb after a little riding. So far every time i've been out with these my hands feel fine. After each ride there is no tingling in my hands. they make a nice platform for your hands especially going downhill. I have the ones with the little bar ends and I think they are just too small. Other than that I'd definitely recommend.

Purchased At:   blue sky cycling

Bike Setup:   cross country

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Durham, NC

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to install
Very adjustable

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
I was experiencing hand tingling and numbness on > 1 hr rides that was really concerning. I switch to these grips and all of those problems disappeared. I was concerned about handling technical singletrack in the mountains with the larger grip area, but that has not been an issue at all. The mini bar end is perfect with my 1x9 drivetrain - if you singlespeed and use a lot of upper body on the climbs, you may want the full size bar end version (GR2).

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the Pisgah Ranger District

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Lizard Skin Lockon Grips

Bike Setup:   2007 Salsa El Mariachi w/ 80 mm Reba

Submitted by Fred Redwood a Weekend Warrior from Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    the wider palm area really does improve comfort. can steer bike just by applying palm pressure.

Weaknesses:    fiddly to set up. odd bar ends.

Bottom Line:
Earlier this year I developed trigger finger, which made holding grips very painful. These grips with the wider grip area, and the fact that on easier sections the bike can be steered with just palm pressure, kept me riding when ordinary grips were killing my hands.

the bonus I have discovered is that I almost never get wrist ache nor tingling fingers on long rides.

setting up is a bit tricky - It took me several rides to get the bar grip in just the right place - the instructions do explain how to set them up - it's important to ensure that your wrist is held at the correct angle (i.e. neutral) when gripping the bar. The grip prevents your hand from sliding around the bar when you get tired, which helps carpal tunnel problems (it's also useful if you've got trigger finger too)

the stubby bar ends aren't really that useful. the best way ti use them is by hooking your thumbs around them and wrapping your fingers under the bar grip - it's more about being able to change grip to help relieve fatigue than it is about getting leverage on hills.

only 3 chilli's for value as they ain't cheap, but 4 overall coz they really do work.

Purchased At:   CRC

Ergon GC2?

Is the portion of the end cap that gets inserted into the handle bar suppose to be square? Do I just hammer them in with a mallet and then tighten? Nevermind, figured it out.Read More »

Ergon GC2 on carbon bars?

Can I use an Ergon GC2 on carbon handle bars? Most carbon bars don't recommend using bar ends, does this include built-in bar ends like the GC2? [img]http://www.ergon-bike.com/i/i_grips/gc2.jpg[/img]Read More »

Ergon Grips GC2 v. GR2

Does anyone know the difference in the length of the bar end between the two models? I have not been able to find a set locally (just gp1's which felt great). I will need to order them online at this point and from looking at a couple of different pictures I am confused as to what the difference i ... Read More »