Crank Brothers Iodine Grip

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Iodine AM grip was specifically designed for all-mountain riding Weight: 101g Width: 130mm Grip material: Krayton rubber Lock rings: 6061T-6 aluminum Torx bolt size:T10

Submitted by Charles

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    These grips look absolutely stunning on my bike, I don't know if you can tell from the picture but the crank brothers logo is all over the grip. These look stunning, they feel great if you like a hard grippy grip. I think the Foam ones are lighter, but for the XC riding I do, I like a firm responsive grip.

Weaknesses:    The price is a bit much, but I dont mind spending $25 on grips, although some people would be opposed to that.

Bottom Line:
Great grip, kind of costly for what it is. Is is worth it? I think so.

Submitted by Raine a Weekend Warrior from Walnut, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    I prefer a slimmer grip with great "stick" factor, and the Crank Brothers Iodine grips give me what I'm looking for. Compared to other lock-on grips I've tried, the Iodine's are very thin - so a five finger grip feels natural to me; in other words, it doesn't feel like my hands are open too wide (like holding a soda can) nor too narrow (like trying to hold a pencil). The texturized rubber center has some good grab for bare hands, but if you wear thin mountain biking gloves like I do, you get a surprisingly secure hold.

The thin grip design and aluminum lock-on clamps also make for an extremely low weight - over half the weight of some of the other lock-on grips I've tested. When you first lift the grips out of the packaging you'll be surprised at how light these are!

Oh yeah - the Iodine grips look great too. The aluminum lock-on clamps come in a few different colors to match your ride (more if you combine the colors of their Cobalt grips, which use the same design clamps) and the rubber grip itself features a pattern that uses the Crank Brothers logo. Two pairs of matching Crank Brothers bar ends are also included to fit practically any bar on the market.

Weaknesses:    A Torx T-10 bit is included to tighten down the lock rings - which is nice, since the lock ring fasteners happen to be Torx screws. However, if you don't have this same tip on your multi-tool, you're out of luck if you need to remove or adjust the grips later. Also, the bar ends are not as sturdy as others. They have to be "popped" in, or trimmed to pop into place; any attempt at pounding them with tools will result in a broken bar end.

Bottom Line:
I had already used their Cobalt grips (foam centers) for over half a year, and I really liked the sizing and feel. When I wanted the same but with more "stick" for more difficult rides I gave the Iodine's a shot, and it turned out to be a good decision. The price is good, the "stick"factor is great, and they look sharp on any handle bar.

Favorite Trail:   Kenter Road

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Cobalt, Phoenix Lock-On, ODI Rogue

Bike Setup:   2012 Pivot Mach 5.7

Submitted by ehigh a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    At first, I was stoked with how the locks matched my bike. They were a nice detail. These were some nice, low profile grips that seemed good for a little while.
After a few weeks of riding, the sides of the grips started to wear out. The end plugs were cheap and difficult to install. They seem too hard for all mountain & light freeride. Definitely not recommended for DH.
Ultimately, I took them off my bike and got some ODI Rouge grips.

Not many strengths. You have to install them with a Star-Hex key

Weaknesses:    Wore out too quickly
star hex key needed to install

Bottom Line:
Get ODI Rogue or ODI Ruffian grips! They're a lot better!

Favorite Trail:   Hazard Peak Trail

Similar Products Used:   Norco Lock-on grips that came with my bike and some ODI Rogue grips. ODI are the way to go!

Bike Setup:   Norco Range 3 with a Specialized Phenom seat, ODI grips, Straitline pedals

Crank Brothers Iodine 2 Wheelset 29" + Trance X 2013

I saw a good bargain on Crank Brothers Iodine 2 Wheelset 29" What your verdict with this wheelset for those who are currently using it? Will it fit my Trance X 29er, since this wheelset accommodates 2.3 -2.5 tire.Read More »

Crank Brothers Iodine 3 vs ZTR Flow EX wheelsets

Hi guys! I'm thinking about the posibility of building my next Mojo HD (yes, I have said it correctly, Mojo HD, not HDR), step by step. About the wheelset choice, I have considered two options: Crank Brothers Iodine 3 or ZTR Flow EX. What do you prefer? Relative to Iodine, I've heard about ... Read More »

Crank Brothers Iodine Spoke Tension

This may already been done to death ( cant find it) re: Crank Bros spoke tensions What are the correct spoke tensions for the front and rear wheels? cheers::confused:Read More »

What about Iodine 3 handlebars?

Hi! I'm looking for handlebars for my new AM ride. There are not so many options available right now, so I stopped at this one - CB iodine 3 handlebar. It looks very very nice in "iron" color. And it has right wide and rise for me. But when I found out that it weights only 238 grams I was concerned ... Read More »

Crank bros. Iodine saddle?

Any thoughts on this? Found the 3 model for a good price. I bent the rails on my saddle and need to replace. Anyone know the width?Read More »