Bontrager Grips Grip

3.81/5 (16 Reviews)

Bontrager Grips

Submitted by lo_dee a Cross Country Rider from Southern Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    ?

Weaknesses:    The bar plugs don't stay put, poor wear, uncomfortable during long rides.

Bottom Line:
These grips felt great in the shop, but once on the bike for over an hour, the uneven design puts too much pressure on different parts of the wrist. They also wore out extremely fast (less than 3 months) considering the cost. My stock grips were 10 times better. Recently went with Titec Pork Rinds, 22 gms/pair. High density foam absorbs when it needs to, otherwise good firm grip.

Similar Products Used:   Titec Pork Rinds

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    Thin, durable, stick to bar when spray painted on no matter how wet

Weaknesses:    None (well, they wear out faster than chunky grips, of course)

Bottom Line:
The single compound grips are the best I've tried, I can't seem to find them anymore.

Purchased At:   Kulshan, Bellingham WA

Similar Products Used:   Yeti, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Kona steel, XT/XTR, X-Vert, Mavic wheels.

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from WI

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have the ergo style grips and I love them. They are very comfortable, not to soft and not too hard. They are raised in the center to so they fit the shape of your hand better. The styling is cool and the grip is nice. Usually you need to spray something between the grip and bar so the grips done slip, such as hairspray. Bottom line, GREAT GRIPS.

Similar Products Used:   Used up my GT stock grips up(those were nice too but not as nice as the Bontrager grips), Yeti, Specialized stock grips

Bike Setup:   hardtail, Bontrager Race Lite bars

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Collegeville, PA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Strengths:    - Comfortable (not too firm, not too soft)
- Ergonomic design

Weaknesses:    Not available in all black, only black/red or black/grey

Bottom Line:
The grips that I just purchased are not the ones that are stocked in most bike shops. The ones that I purchased are called "Ergo", and I had to have them special ordered.

The grips that I had on my bike where a little too firm, and I would feel some pain after long rides (I know, I should be wearing gloves, but I just can't bring myself to do it on hot days). With these grips, problem solved. The ergonomic grip feels good too (they are slightly raised in the center to match the curve of the palm of your hand).

I have not experienced any slipping like some of the other reviewers mentioned. Of course I sprayed the bar and the inside of the grips with hair spray before putting them on which I strongly recommend for any grips.

Bottom Line: If you're not 100% satisfied with your current grips, give these a try. For $12, you can't go wrong. You can even give them a try at a bike dealer, since they come standard on most of the higher-end Trek bikes.

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   Trek standard issue grips

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2000

Strengths:    Look good , end caps, not too pricey

Weaknesses:    Twist alot, and are a little too thin.

Bottom Line:
OK grips for the money, but they will start to slip after about a days riding.

Final thought: Get Yeti hardcore lock-ons. Sorry boys.

Similar Products Used:   Serfas grips, stock grips.

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2000

Strengths:    They are better than just the bar

Weaknesses:    These things hurt my hands, the hex shape created pressure points on my palms. They are slipery when wet.

Bottom Line:
Try them before you buy them. They really just made my hands hurt and didn't work any better than the ones i was trying to replace. a big 2 chili's, 1 for being better than than the bar, 1 for working well enough while i had them.

Similar Products Used:   Grip Shift stock grips, Yeti's (not the newer kind)

Bike Setup:   Spooky Junebug with everything being nice

Submitted by mtb_411 a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Strengths:
-Good control over handlebar

Weaknesses:
-Wear out super fast
-Too thin for rough riding

Bottom Line:
I found that they wore out way too fast. They are not as sticky as others but they do give you a super control over the bar because they are so thin. I guess I'm just not the rider style for these grips.

3 months

-Louis Garneau

Riser bar w/Judy XL

Submitted by Nick a Cross-Country Rider from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
The end plugs

Weaknesses:
Moto grip really easily

Bottom Line:
I don't like these grips at all. With my Coda grips I get out the air hose and blow them on and they stay in place in any conditions but the Bontrager grips were harder to put on and moto gripped all over the place. I didn't use hair spray though but a good quality pair of grips like the Coda you don't have to cus their so tacky and with an air hose blow on with relative ease. Best part about the Coda's is they've yet to show any signs of wear. I doubt the bonti's can say that. Sorry guys... I'm only giving them 1. Mostly for the paw print end caps.

Where's the dirt?

less than 1 month

Coda Weave grips

'98 1/2 Cannondale F3000

Submitted by Jimbeau a Cross-Country Rider from So Cal

Date Reviewed: March 17, 1999

Strengths:
Small; grippy; effective

Weaknesses:
Difficult to remove

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Dual Density grips::::I'd been using Ourys for so long it took me several hours to get accustomed to these grips -- they are much smaller and firmer. It felt like I had to re-learn how to hold the bars. These grips provide great ahhhhh---grip. Even though they are smaller and have less cushion then the Ourys, they work better; it takes less effort to maintain strong solid control. I'm surprised I like them as much as I do. Another great Bontrager product.

Squaw Valley

less than 1 month

Oury; GT; Pedros

Bontrager Crowbar Race on a '99 Mantra

Submitted by Tyler a cross-country rider from Louisiana, USA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got a new pair of Bonty grips with the hard inner (to prevent slippage) and soft outer (for comfort) and they are great. The ones I had on there before were just too thick and squishy for me. I love the overall feel of these grips because they really are locked in place. They just feel like a natural extension of the bike. I would recommend them to anyone that has a problem of their grips twisting around. I give 'em a big fat high five.

Submitted by daiz a downhiller from brum

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

there bloody great by a pair NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Ive had yeti grips before and they suck by these,Ive used them in the rain and they stick Ive used in muddy conditions and there cool!!!!!! As anybody else found it hard to gey them on If so contact me NOW!!!!!!!
They are so comfy even without gloves they rock!!!!!!!

Submitted by Henry a weekend warrior from Northern CAL.

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got a pair of Bontrager foam grips about 4 months ago. They work great! Unlike my old grips, these Bontragers are rather comftable.Works well with or without gloves. I got them at a reasonable price. Only drawback was it was rather difficult to put on the grips. Otherwise....it's great stuff!!

Submitted by Wild Boy a weekend warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

They came with my Gary Fisher bike. No complains abt them. They work fine & they don't pretend what they aren't. I have rather small hands for a guy, and these grips are just perfect for me. If you don't like your handle bars to look too ornamental, these are the grips for you.

Submitted by Beetle a cross-country rider from Santa Clara, CA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

I used to ride big thick grips, and swore by OURY grips. But, I tried these Bontragers and now I'm converted. These are simple, very comfortable, work great, good diameter, what else can you say, good stuff. Easy on the hands whether with or without gloves. The only drawback I've found is that they're often hard to find.

Submitted by Khanh Dinh a cross-country rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1996

Bottom Line:

I like the size of these grips; they work well with gloves. I run them with the waffle side down for finger grip. It's almost a must to run these grips with gloves because of their small diameter. The hardness of the grip is also fairly firm, no squishiness.

Juliana 2013 grips replacement

Juliana owners--my grips are completely worn and shredded. I went to my favorite LBS to buy new ones, but it looks like Juliana has discontinued using the smaller diameter bars and thus do not have replacement grips. Seems like now I need to get new (standard diameter) bars too. I wasn't really plan ... Read More »

fat grips for my SS

I have huge hands, and wear 3XL gloves. I've found comfort with Ergon grips on my geared bike since the tiny standard grip diameter really hurts my hands due to wrist injuries that healed badly. I'm using mildly swept bars (Groovy Luv Handles) so I've already dialed in the bar/stem combo as much as ... Read More »

Putting Bar Ends on my MTB -- What grips to use?

So, I'm gonna add some bar ends to my MTB for comfort purposes. Right now my bike has closed-end ergo grips from Specialized. What are some good grips that are open-end so I can slide the bar through for room for bar ends? I see some I like online, but there's no spec stating if they are open or clo ... Read More »

Fuzzy Grips!

Might be nice if you like going glove free beneath the pogies. Just sayin.....Read More »

ODI Yeti turquoise grips - still worth it?

I know these have been descontinued for a while, but there are some stores that still sell them. Yeti has a new stile of grips with only a lock on, but they are all black. I'm sourcing new grips for my asr5. Do you think the turquoise odi grips are still worth to be bought?Read More »