Bontrager Ergo Grip

4.25/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 70 grams MSRP : $12.50

• New ergonomic design: small diameter at inboard flange enables better access to controls; built up at palm and heel of hand for comfort
  • Dual compound molding makes super soft grip surface possible

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Erogonomic design, soft compound, great cushioning & a funky new texture/pattern.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clean when you get sand in/on them, wears slower then stock 1996 GT Ricochet grips but faster then Yeti soft grips. Takes up a lot of real estate on your handlebars.

Bottom Line:
    A good grip that came stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk. A bit of a pain to clean sand out of all the little nooks and crannies. They took up too much space on my handlebar as I also mounted an Air Zound II air horn, Planet Bike Protege 9.0 cyclocomputer and a BLT Metrino 15 night light system.
    Bottom Line: I hated to cut these off my handelbars when I put Yeti soft grips on as they still had life left in them.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk - Earl's Cycle (closed 2003)

Similar Products Used:   Stock GT grips on my 1996 GT Ricochet & Yeti soft grips.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Submitted by Owen Bannister a Weekend Warrior from Ipswich, Suffolk, England

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2007

Strengths:    Fills palm nicely, very comfortable

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    Very comfortable grip.
    That's it. What more do you want?
    They fill the gap in your palm that flat grips don't.
    Get them.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic for XC

Submitted by Adam Z a Weekend Warrior from Concord CA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    So comfortable and absorbs a little vibration

Weaknesses:    When I wear my Fox gloves they feel better then when I wear my Novara's. Just the fit of the glove mostly.

Bottom Line:
    Buy these if you ride bare-handed. They are so comfortable. If you don't ride bare-handed buy these and you won't need gloves.

Purchased At:   Copeland Sports

Similar Products Used:   Stock Iron Horse grips

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Outlaw with Azonic handlebar and Fox fork

Submitted by loonyOne a Weekend Warrior from Waterloo, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    Nice design with the two-toned color. "Ergo" has a good feel barehanded.

Weaknesses:    "Ergo" portion caused additional pain in my Carpal Tunnel area.

Bottom Line:
    First off, I'm an Oury guy. These came on my newly puchased bike and I liked the barehanded feel...in the garage. However, this raised portion of the grip made my Carpal Tunnel pain even worse than it usually is. I fight with it all the time, but it's not been this bad in a long time. I'll toss them into the garage bin and put some Oury's on next week. I won't buy these in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Oury, Coda, Serfas, and many others

Submitted by jw a Weekend Warrior from kentucky

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Strengths:    easy instillation, nice looking

Weaknesses:    dont even thinking about riding with these in wet conditions. any think longer than a 20 minute ride and you can expect to be scrubbing the black off your hands. I have only been using them for around 3 months and they are wherin out very fast loosing there grip.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these grips after reading the wonderfull reviews on www.mtbr.com man where they wrong stay away from bontrager grips You can get more grip for your money elsewhere.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   2003 trek 6700

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    Very comfortable, tacky grip that feels good in your hand. I also like the fact that this grip is a tad longer than many others available. Good for those of us with big hands and the "ergo" portion of the middle of the grip helps fill that spot in the palm up.

Weaknesses:    None that I have detected in the past 18 months.

Bottom Line:
    My 2002 Trek 8000 came with these grips and they are still going strong 19 months later. I just bought a new pair of the Bontrager Ergo grips to replace a pair of worn out Serfas on my Trek 820. My local LBS had some in stock (albeit with bar plugs rather than the full rubber grip like on my 8000) and when compared to everything else they had - these just still felt the best to buy.

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Serfas, SRAM grips, Specialized, Blackwall and a few others.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000
    Trek 820
    Karate Monkey

Submitted by eman a Downhiller from nj

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    comfortable

Weaknesses:    when i was putting them on i used water, and it seems the grips won't work well in the rain without gloves

Bottom Line:
    These are nice grips, it has that budge in the middle for your palm, and and seems like it will be comfortable over long rides.

Purchased At:   high gear cyclery

Similar Products Used:   stock grips on trek 820, they wore out after around 1300miles. they wore out at more like 800, but i kept using them

Bike Setup:   trek 820

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    They're good grips in every way grips might be described.

Much better than any other grips I've ever used.

Bottom Line:
    I've always had problems with grips. You name it, from pain to a bad hold to just plain wearing out in no time.

These are undoubtably the best grips I've ever used.

Favorite Trail:   This one

Purchased At:   Came stock on my 2002 Trek 8000

Similar Products Used:   I've used a lot of grips. At one point I was pretty much going through grips at about a pair every 2 or 3 months.

Submitted by TimmyK a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Strengths:    As others have said, very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Wears fast but still grip well.

Bottom Line:
    Though these may wear fast, they remain very grippy and comfortable. I have a new set waiting to go on, but the old ones just keep holding up. The only real reason to change em now, is because they look so ratty. Work very well with a lightly padded glove (see TLD XC gloves-5 flames).

Similar Products Used:   SRAM grips

Submitted by Steven Zellers a Weekend Warrior from Sterling Heights

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    Grips have a ergonomic buldge in the middle that fits the concave shape of your hand. Dual compound allows for zero slippage and a super soft/tacky grip surface.

Weaknesses:    Super soft grips like this tend to wear very quickly. I toasted these grips in 2 Michigan riding seasons, but it would be very easy to wear them out in one.

Bottom Line:
    I would recommend these grips to anyone looking for a more comfortable grip. Keith makes good quality stuff for a reasonable price.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake Loop