Specialized Command Dropper Seatpost

3.24/5 (37 Reviews)

With the exclusive mechanical 3-position locking height adjustment and on-the-fly adjustment via a handlebar mounted lever, your always in command with ever-changing terrain conditions.

• Exclusive mechanical 3-position locking height adjustment
  • 100mm height adjustment range
  • On-the-fly adjustable ride via a handlebar mounted lever
  • Keyed, locking system eliminates saddle movement
  • 30.9mm outer diameter
  • 380mm length
  • Approx. weight: 520g (post only)
  • Specialized Command Seatpost Adjustable Pro Review

>I am really liking the Specialized Command Post adjustable seatpost, which uses a mechanical system with an adjustable air spring, and has three locking positions, and a simple one bolt saddle clamp that is easily to install and tune the saddle’s position. Continue reading →

Submitted by texas

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    When it works, it's works in a very effective and predictable way

Weaknesses:    not reliable enough.

Bottom Line:
    First the good. When it has worked it has behaved perfectly. I never had any problem with it leaking air. It looks good.

Just before the 1 year warranty ran out I had a problem where the seat would rotate. They ended up sending it back to specialized and I got a brand new post. After about 2 years with the new post working , with me riding 1-2 times a week the post failed again. This time a bunch of the pawls on the collate that hold the post in place broke off. I saw someones posting on the command post thread that had this same problem and Specialized ended up replacing most of his post for a bit over $100.

I don't want to be spending money on an expensive seat post every couple of years. Instead of dumping another $100 into fixing this post I decided to abandon it , and instead go for a Gravity Dropper turbo Multi LP. From what I can tell from the reviews, it's not quite as sexy as the other dropper post options, but it seems like it works well and is reliable.

Submitted by onobed

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    single bolt design on seat clamp makes saddle more prone to slipping which happens all the time.
    ergonomics - actuating lever is terrible - either put in position that interferes with shifters or put in position that requires massive wrist contortion
    three positions: how can specialized offer only three positions when the competition offers infinite adjustment
    quality: went through two.

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden a Reverb, KS Lev, and Command Post. The command post can't hold a candle to the other two. The seat post clamping design is terrible. Unlike its competitors which use a more secure two bolt design, the one bolt design of the CP makes saddle a slippage a sure thing. This is inexcusable. Ergonomically, I challenge anyone to show me a position that is both comfortable and does not interfere with trigger shifters. In order to not interfere with shifters the trigger for the seatpost had to be rotated so far forward that the only way I could actuate it was to look at my handlebar - this is not what you want to be doing when you actually need to drop a post.

I could go on and on. I am no Specialized hater, I loved there Stumpy 29er EVO. They just should stick to frames and tires. This seatpost is the single worst piece of Spesh gear ever designed and needs to be pulled from the market because it just plain does not function in the way a rider needs it to.

Submitted by mypuppynow

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    Simple to setup, minimal to zero rotational play, smooth operation, smart looks. Lever is more robust than some 9when flipping the bike)

Weaknesses:    "Spare" cable is annoying (would love a stealth version), lever requires quite a lot of effort. A little heavy.

Bottom Line:
    Used for about 18 months. Overall a reliable, solid and good performer. Needs occasional clean/lube to keep it from slowing/missing the detents but none of that requires diss-assembly (so far). Personally I like the 3 positions over infinite adjustment as its more consistent.
    I'm totally sold on dropper posts now - just wish they would make this with a fixed cable length like the KS post - and a bit lighter would be nice1

Submitted by Footer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    Cable placement.

Weaknesses:    Finding position. Lever. Not smooth.

Bottom Line:
    I use a Gravity Dropper Turbo that I'm extremely happy with. I used this seatpost (Specialized Command) on a rental for one day. The GDT is significantly better. The GDT 'finds' its position more definitively. The GDT's lever is more definitive, as well. The lever doesn't look as cool or as sophisticated as the Command's, but it just works better. GDT's lever seems to grip the handlebar better, as well - the Command's lever moved/rotated on me a couple times. After one particularly hard bottom-out, with the seatpost all the way down, the saddle moved positions. The Command may have an advantage on how the cable attaches to the post - the cable attaches up high and out of the way while the GDT's cable comes out of the post and could get snagged on something - I've never had a problem with my GDT's cable, though.

Similar Products Used:   Gravity Dropper Turbo

Submitted by Alexi Zawadzki a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Three positions are great.

Weaknesses:    Excessive play in the saddle. Saddle does not stay in position and slides back and up on every ride. Control lever broke. Seatpost also finally broke, prompting me to post this review.

Bottom Line:
    Riden for five months and this seatpost is truly awful. Been nothing but problems. Control lever broke on my third ride - fixed with a zap strap. The saddle constantly shifts back (!!!) and up. The post no longer goes up and must be adjusted manually. The bike shop told me I was too large (235 lbs, 6'4") for this seatpost, and failed to offer any support (or the recommended rider weight). The engineering design on this post is very poor. Might be fine if you are a flyweight - but stay away if you are big, and do backcountry riding where reliability is important.

Purchased At:   Obsession Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Thompson, Race Face

Bike Setup:   2011 Enduro Evo

Submitted by Parker

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable, smooth action, easy to set up

Weaknesses:    Ring that holds the seal on comes loose and leaks air sometimes. You have to replace the cable every few months.

Bottom Line:
    I have had this post for almost a year now and have had no problems aside from the seal coming loose a few times and a couple worn out cables. For the money, it's great, and I would highly recommend it! Having a dropper post puts your bike into a whole new realm of versatility.

Submitted by ggilings

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    3 positions, easy maintenance, reliable

Weaknesses:    The ring will become loose and looses air

Bottom Line:
    I really like this seat post. It has been super reliable and the few times I have worked on it has been easy. After a few months of hard riding, I noticed sometimes it looses air. It takes two minutes to fix, so not a big deal.

Submitted by Tony

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    3 positions

Weaknesses:    Side to side play out of the box!

Bottom Line:
    My first Specialized Command Post Blacklite was replaced by Specialized UK for excessive play, it’s failed after just 5 rides, my replacement Blacklite did not return to the power position out of the box, so I cycled it 20 – 30 to free it up and it instantly had side to side play. Three Specialized representatives have advised some play to be expected and that it will get worse as the unit wears, but none of them would give me an engineering answer to acceptable design tolerances. See my video of both new Blacklites here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgzJ_FRdgQg

Submitted by Pike14 a Racer from Port Jefferson, NY

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    So far the Blacklight has been smooth and reliable. The black stanchion and red anodized parts add some flare to a pretty simple piece of equipment. Also, the handlebar mounted lever seems strong and sturdy, and can be mounted on either the right or left side of your cockpit.

Weaknesses:    So far the only thing that I've experienced is that the bar mounted lever can be hard to push at times. I've gotten used to it, and I'm sure that some cable adjustment as well as some lube in the cable housing could remedy the problem.

Bottom Line:
    For the time I've had it, the Blacklight has been a game changer. Before installing it, I had considered selling the bike. Saddle height plays such a major role in pedal efficiency that if it is compromised in only the slightest way, it can make your bike feel sluggish and "mushy". I had thought I could compromise by setting my standard seat post and saddle in and "in-between, not too high, not too low" position...the GOLDILOCKS position if you will... By allowing the saddle to be at the correct height for any and all situations you'll encounter on the trail, you are truly getting the most from your bike. The Blacklight Command Post saved my bike's life!

As far as reliability, only time will tell. I have, however, been running the original Specialized Command Post on my 2011 Enduro, only having to replace the cable as it had grown worn-normal maintenance. With proper care and upkeep, I have no doubt that the Blacklight will be just fine. I will, though, update this review with any developments, both negative and positive.

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge

Purchased At:   Brands Cycle, Wantag

Similar Products Used:   Original Specialized Command Post

Bike Setup:   My Blacklight Command Post is on my 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR: Stumpy FSR frame (140mm rear wheel travel), Fox Talas 36 Fork (120-150mm travel), Sram X9 Drivetrain, Sram X7 Shifters, Mavic Crossmax SX Wheels, Schwalbe Rocket Rons Tires, Sunline V1 50mm Stem and 745 Bars, Avid Elixer 7 Brakes, AND of course the Specialized Blacklight Command Post.

Submitted by jacu a Weekend Warrior from Mission Viejo, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Strengths:    It looks good.

Weaknesses:    This Shock does not perform as it should. It sticks and does not hit the height adjustments. On ride number 10 the shock completley stuck in the down position and I had to take it back to the dealer to have them send it out.

Bottom Line:
    Not a reliable shock. I expierienced problems after 3 rides. Turnaround time to repair or fix is two weeks out.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   Rock N Road Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   KS Kindshock i900 remote

Bike Setup:   The Blacklight came standard on the Stumpjumper Expert Evo 29er

Submitted by bdunk a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2011

Strengths:    Three fixed positions

Weaknesses:    Unreliable

Bottom Line:
    When operable, the Command Post is fun, but not $300 worth of fun. While I've enjoyed being able to drop my seat on the fly to take on a steep downhill, the problems I have had with my command post (inoperable once, no rebound another time, seat clamp allows the seat to tilt easliy)have eclipsed the fun.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Bike Setup:   2010 Stumpjumper FSR comp, Mavic Crossmax ST, 2011 Command Seat post

Submitted by sillymonkey a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2011

Strengths:    Best of both worlds. Seat is at correct height for efficient pedaling, but can be lowered to tackle technical sections without disrupting flow of the ride.

Weaknesses:    Cable attaches to a small anchor bolt.
    Nonstandard cable.

Bottom Line:
    Purchased one of the early versions of the seat post back in 2009 that leaked air. Sent it back to Specialized and they fixed it by putting in some upgraded seals/parts. After about another year the seat would not stay locked up. LBS sent it back to Specialized and they sent me a new replacement. Thumbs up to my LBS Dukes & Specialized!

Great product and it is worth the ~0.5 lb weight penalty over a conventional seat post. Mostly use the middle position but sometimes drop it down all the way if riding something technical where I may have to bail out and not worry about getting caught on my seatpost.

The product can be improved if the anchor bolt holding the cable was larger to allow for more clamping area. Also it cannot be replaced with a standard shifter cable. I believe that Specialized may have started using a standard shifter cable in the more recent versions of the Command Post.

There is a tiny bit of lateral play in the seatpost but it does not bother me.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   www.dukescycle.ca

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by afjoey a Weekend Warrior from CO, NM, AZ, UT

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2011

Strengths:    It straight up works! Nice to have the schrader to adjust return pressure.

Weaknesses:    Flimsy handlebar lever. Easy to replace tho, had an old rockshox lockout lever that works just fine.

Bottom Line:
    For a no-worry, set-it-up and ride product, the command post is it! Riding a joplin was an effort in extreme paranoia: When is it going to give out? You never notice the CP. In 1 year of all-mountain riding in the best chunk New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah have to offer, the CP has had no issues apart from a broken engagement lever, which can happen to any part if its hit just right. An adjustable height post is worth dealing with some issues, but the CP doesn't have any significant ones. Get it and ride!

Favorite Trail:   Rio en Medio, Amasa back-jackson loop

Purchased At:   The Kickstand, Abq

Similar Products Used:   crank bros joplin

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 5.7, Fox TALAS 160, CC angleset -0.5 deg, Crank Bros Iodine wheels, XT drivetrain, XTR Trail brakes

Submitted by Johnelwood a Cross Country Rider from Orange, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Simple, durable, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Not as many options as the newer models (i.e. even the 2011 Specialized Command Post).

Bottom Line:
    This post works and has been very dependable and reliable. It worked pretty flawlessly / reliably for over a year until it started getting less reliable. Finally took it in and had it serviced, wound up getting it rebuilt by Specialized. Just got it back and installed it myself and it works better than I remember it when it was new. Very happy with the post and with Specialized--great products, great customer service. My bike and other Specialized products have worked very well and have been very reliable.

Favorite Trail:   Hard to pick - STT/Luge?

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   None--I can't compare to the other posts out there. My buddy has a KS post without the remote.

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er Expert

Submitted by mr.John a Weekend Warrior from miami, fl,dade

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2011

Strengths:    Great for long downhill sections and hard hitting drops. The drop mech has worked great and smoothly every time.

Weaknesses:    Seat clamp does not keep the seat in place when going over small steep bump/ditches while on the saddle. First the post squeaks in protest of you not getting out of the saddle, it then allows the nose angle to point up (with painful results)

Bottom Line:
    specialized's single bolt seat clamp design is a looser. I have never had a problem with any other type of seat post letting the saddle move all over the place. I made sure that the proper bolt torque was used as well as aligning the arrows. The whole point of the rear brain suspension setup on this bike is to peddle while on the saddle and hitting bumps. Also if the seat could drop out of the way as quickly as it returns to full height would be a welcomed improvement.

Favorite Trail:   boreas pass

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   uno, thomson,ascent. all were standard seat posts.

Bike Setup:   2011 specialized stumpjumper 29er expert

Fox DOSS vs. Specialized Command Post

Hi all, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a dropper post, and I think I'm more interested in the ones with fixed drops. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both the Fox DOSS and the Command Post, and could comment on if there is any reason one should favor the DOSS over the Specia ... Read More »

Specialized command post blacklite replacement cable?

I think that my command post cable is in need of replacement, what should I use to replace the cable and cable housing? Can I just use have ore? Or does specialized sell a special replacement cable?Read More »

DIY Command Post overhaul : what grease ?

I'm gonna work on my 2013 Command Post tonight. What I'm basically need to know is what type of grease should I apply once I'll have cleaned the whole interiors. Various greases I have available in my tool box : -Shimano SIS SP 41 grease for cables,a very light and soapy like grease that does ... Read More »

How to fit 2nd bottle cage on 2012 Stumpy FSR 29er w/ Command Post

Would like to fit a 2nd bottle on my bike for the times I don't want to carry a Camelback but have no where to put one. My 2012 Stumpy FSR 29er has Command Post adjustable seat post which complicates mounting a bottle on the seat post. Is it possible to mount a short water bottle mount to the Comm ... Read More »

2012 Command Post Blacklite - Replacement Lever

Anyone has any links on where to get a spare lever? Can't find any on the inter webs!!!! Specialized can order one for me but includes cables, housing and is a bit pricey. All I need is the lever. Cheers.Read More »